Re: Follow on to previous post

  • eleking22
    Message 1 of 7 , May 31, 2006
      Hi Ken, Thanks for the reply.

      I'm using version 4.31A, the most current one as of last week.

      I took a look at the oki code there, and it appears to be for their
      ARM9 ML69 series of controllers, and unfortunately I'm using the ARM7
      ML67500x series (distinction from the ML67400x series appears to be 8k
      of cache, and lack of popularity :P)

      I've been able to get some assembly code working on it to do the
      things that the IAR workbench would botch, so i'm pretty confident
      it's not an issue with my hardware.

      I simply have little interest in working entirely in assembly :(

      http://www2.okisemi.com/site/productscatalog/armsolutions/mcumpu/availabledocs/Intro-5430.html

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
        Hi,

        Yes that code is for ARM9 but it should help with setting the linker
        file. If you go to the files section of this group there is a IAR
        Sample code for the ML67Q500X. This may help too

        Is the issue you are having still related to compilation (Fatal
        Error[e72])? Or have you got past that?

        Ken

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2006
          Aiden,

          One more thing.....
          Make sure that the IAR tool is pointing to the correct linker file.
          The linker file that comes with the sample code is what youy need to
          point to not the default IAR linker file....

          wrote:

          > Hi Ken, Thanks for the reply.
          >

          > I'm using version 4.31A, the most current one as of last week.
          >
          > I took a look at the oki code there, and it appears to be for their
          > ARM9 ML69 series of controllers, and unfortunately I'm using the ARM7
          > ML67500x series (distinction from the ML67400x series appears to be 8k
          > of cache, and lack of popularity :P)
          >
          > I've been able to get some assembly code working on it to do the
          > things that the IAR workbench would botch, so i'm pretty confident
          > it's not an issue with my hardware.
          >
          > I simply have little interest in working entirely in assembly :(
          >
          > --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "kendwyer" <kendwyer@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi
          > >
          > > The issue you are seeing is with the linker file definitions. What
          > > version of IAR are you using?
          > > I am not familiar with the code or the board you are using. However as
          > > a reference you can download some IAR sample code from the Oki
          website:

          http://www2.okisemi.com/site/productscatalog/armsolutions/mcumpu/availabledocs/Intro-5430.html

          > > Thanks
          > > Ken
          > >
          > > --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "eleking22" <Aiden.Morrison@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > *Update*
          > > >
          > > > Pe005 error was solved by seeing that the IAR project was
          pointing to
          > > > an imaginary directory on the C: drive.... by forcing myself to
          follow
          > > > this apparently unchangable definition for where the project
          should be
          > > > the silly thing could find the header file.
          > > >
          > > > Now I'm faced with the following error:
          > > >
          > > > Fatal Error[e72]: Segment CODE must be defined in a segment
          definition
          > > > option (-Z, -b or -P)
          > > >
          > > > hoo boy :)

        • eleking22
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
            Good Day,

            I gave the IAR code from this group another shot last night, taking
            care to point to the xcl that was included with the project in the
            linker settings of the IAR C/C++ compiler.

            The issue of 'one of __ARM_... or __THUMB_... must be defined' reared
            its ugly head again though, so I decided to simply comment out the
            offending #ifdef statements.

            The build process got through the compilation stage after this
            modification (why would it check for a definition if its not used
            elsewhere?) but then informed me that the 'CODE' section of memory had
            not been defined.

            Sure enough, upon review of the included XCL file within the project,
            there was no CODE definition.

            My thoughts at this point are that enough must have changed with IAR
            EWARM between versions 3.5 (I believe the version the project was
            created under) and version 4.31A that I might be out of my league
            getting it working.

            Judging by the poll in the polls section, GNU ARM is almost twice as
            popular as the IAR software I'm trying to use, and might be a better
            bet since even the IAR support keeps referring to the wrong CPU when I
            ask for help :)

            I have GNU ARM installed, but I'm very used to 'hold your hand'
            environments like MPLAB. If anyone could provide a sample project and
            directions on how to go about the basics of getting it compiled and
            into the MCU, I would be very appreciative.

            Thanks again to everyone taking the time to read this.

          • eleking22
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2006
              I should have checked the files section before making the request for
              GNU support.

              Thank you again Ken, I'm going to give your example GNU projects a shot.