Having trouble with flash_uty_38400_5K.hex

  • james_lewis_73104
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2005
      Hi all,

      I've been using a flash utility I inherited on a project called
      flash_uty.hex with a 67Q4003. I'm trying to migrate now to the
      67Q5003, and so am trying to use the flash_uty_38400_5K.hex from this
      site. What are the limitations for this? What baud rates are valid
      for a 33MHz oscillator? Xon/Xoff handshaking on or off? It doesn't
      display anything when I press '1' at this prompt:

      User program download finished.

      Select next operation.
      0 : Download other program.
      1 : Start user program.

      I was successful in loading a stripped down version of the firmware
      I'm developing using the ISFP program. It stops at 0x10000 though, if
      I have the full version, hence the effort to use flash_uty_38400_5K.hex.

      Thanks for any insight on how to get ISFP to work with larger files,
      or how to get flash_uty_38400_5K.hex to work at all.

      James Lewis
      Nomadics, Inc.
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2005
        Hi James,

        I think you are having an issue with the clock setup on your CPU
        board. What board are you using? Are you running the 67Q5003 at 33MHz?
        Please see:
        http://www2.okisemi.com/site/productscatalog/armsolutions/Intro-
        9040.html . This App note describes how to do the flash programming
        using Teraterm.

        Can you explain what the issue you are having with ISFP or send me
        the offending HEX file?

        Thanks,

        --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "james_lewis_73104"
        <jlewis@n...> wrote:

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I've been using a flash utility I inherited on a project called
        > flash_uty.hex with a 67Q4003. I'm trying to migrate now to the
        > 67Q5003, and so am trying to use the flash_uty_38400_5K.hex from
        this
        > site. What are the limitations for this? What baud rates are valid
        > for a 33MHz oscillator? Xon/Xoff handshaking on or off? It doesn't
        > display anything when I press '1' at this prompt:
        >
        > User program download finished.
        >
        > Select next operation.
        > 0 : Download other program.
        > 1 : Start user program.
        > >

        > I was successful in loading a stripped down version of the firmware
        > I'm developing using the ISFP program. It stops at 0x10000 though,
        if
        > I have the full version, hence the effort to use
        flash_uty_38400_5K.hex.

        > Thanks for any insight on how to get ISFP to work with larger files,
        > or how to get flash_uty_38400_5K.hex to work at all.
        >
        > James Lewis
        > Nomadics, Inc.

      • sohrab_namvar
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 3, 2005
          Hi James,
          Which version of ISFP are you using. The latest version is 1.2 which
          Ken uploaded to the files. Could you tell me what the ISFP behavior
          is when you try to program the flash? Are you selecting the correct
          device in ISFP? Thanks.
          -- Sohrab

          <jlewis@n...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I've been using a flash utility I inherited on a project called
          > flash_uty.hex with a 67Q4003. I'm trying to migrate now to the
          > 67Q5003, and so am trying to use the flash_uty_38400_5K.hex from
          this
          > site. What are the limitations for this? What baud rates are
          valid
          > for a 33MHz oscillator? Xon/Xoff handshaking on or off? It
          doesn't
          > display anything when I press '1' at this prompt:
          >
          > User program download finished.
          >
          > Select next operation.
          > 0 : Download other program.
          > 1 : Start user program.
          > >

          > I was successful in loading a stripped down version of the firmware
          > I'm developing using the ISFP program. It stops at 0x10000
          though, if
          > I have the full version, hence the effort to use
          flash_uty_38400_5K.hex.

          > Thanks for any insight on how to get ISFP to work with larger
          files,
          > or how to get flash_uty_38400_5K.hex to work at all.
          >
          > James Lewis
          > Nomadics, Inc.

        • Chris Hiszpanski
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
            Hi James,

            I am able to program files larger than 0xFFFF without problems on the
            ML67Q5003 via ISFP. One problem I did have though was with ISFP recoginizing
            the intel hex file generated under cygwin. I had to pass the file through
            dos2unix. Otherwise ISFP would not program the chip properly.

            Chris

            >From: "james_lewis_73104" <jlewis@...>
            >To: OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [OKI-ARM-mcus] Having trouble with flash_uty_38400_5K.hex
            >Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 23:27:23 -0000
            >
            >Hi all,
            >
            >I've been using a flash utility I inherited on a project called
            >flash_uty.hex with a 67Q4003. I'm trying to migrate now to the
            >67Q5003, and so am trying to use the flash_uty_38400_5K.hex from this
            >site. What are the limitations for this? What baud rates are valid
            >for a 33MHz oscillator? Xon/Xoff handshaking on or off? It doesn't
            >display anything when I press '1' at this prompt:
            >
            >User program download finished.
            >
            >Select next operation.
            > 0 : Download other program.
            > 1 : Start user program.
            > >

            >I was successful in loading a stripped down version of the firmware
            >I'm developing using the ISFP program. It stops at 0x10000 though, if
            >I have the full version, hence the effort to use flash_uty_38400_5K.hex.
            >
            >Thanks for any insight on how to get ISFP to work with larger files,
            >or how to get flash_uty_38400_5K.hex to work at all.
            >
            >James Lewis
            >Nomadics, Inc.

          • james_lewis_73104
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
              Okay, I'm able to use ISFP if I manually type in the filename, don't
              use the browse button.

              As for the flash_uty_38400.hex, I don't know what's wrong. It doesn't
              matter now that ISFP is working.

              James

              wrote:

              > Hi all,
              >
              > I've been using a flash utility I inherited on a project called
              > flash_uty.hex with a 67Q4003. I'm trying to migrate now to the
              > 67Q5003, and so am trying to use the flash_uty_38400_5K.hex from this
              > site. What are the limitations for this? What baud rates are valid
              > for a 33MHz oscillator? Xon/Xoff handshaking on or off? It doesn't
              > display anything when I press '1' at this prompt:
              >
              > User program download finished.
              >
              > Select next operation.
              > 0 : Download other program.
              > 1 : Start user program.
              > >

              > I was successful in loading a stripped down version of the firmware
              > I'm developing using the ISFP program. It stops at 0x10000 though, if
              > I have the full version, hence the effort to use flash_uty_38400_5K.hex.
              >
              > Thanks for any insight on how to get ISFP to work with larger files,
              > or how to get flash_uty_38400_5K.hex to work at all.
              >
              > James Lewis
              > Nomadics, Inc.

            • FurQan
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 4, 2005
                Hi James,
                I think the problem is with the oscillator
                frequency. ML67Q500x series has a built-in PLL , which
                for an external oscillator can operate at 4x/8x
                speeds depending on CLKMODE selections (These are
                hardware connections). So if you have a 7.5 Mhz
                external osc. your cpu can operate at 7.5 X 8 = 60
                Mhz. Form your query it seems that u are a pretty
                older method for flash programing . Thankfully Oki
                has put up a useful IAP utility called OKI ISPF at its
                website which is much more handy.

                Regards.
                Furqan

                __________________________________
                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
                  Yes, the hex file(flash_uty_38400_5K.hex) you have is coded assuming
                  a 60MHz CPU clock rate. The baud rate is also set assumimg 60MHz.

                  --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, FurQan <fur_enc@y...> wrote:

                  > Hi James,
                  > I think the problem is with the oscillator
                  > frequency. ML67Q500x series has a built-in PLL , which
                  > for an external oscillator can operate at 4x/8x
                  > speeds depending on CLKMODE selections (These are
                  > hardware connections). So if you have a 7.5 Mhz
                  > external osc. your cpu can operate at 7.5 X 8 = 60
                  > Mhz. Form your query it seems that u are a pretty
                  > older method for flash programing . Thankfully Oki
                  > has put up a useful IAP utility called OKI ISPF at its
                  > website which is much more handy.
                  >
                  > Regards.
                  > Furqan
                  >
                  > --- james_lewis_73104 <jlewis@n...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Hi all,
                  > >
                  > > I've been using a flash utility I inherited on a
                  > > project called
                  > > flash_uty.hex with a 67Q4003. I'm trying to migrate
                  > > now to the
                  > > 67Q5003, and so am trying to use the
                  > > flash_uty_38400_5K.hex from this
                  > > site. What are the limitations for this? What baud
                  > > rates are valid
                  > > for a 33MHz oscillator? Xon/Xoff handshaking on or
                  > > off? It doesn't
                  > > display anything when I press '1' at this prompt:
                  > >
                  > > User program download finished.
                  > >
                  > > Select next operation.
                  > > 0 : Download other program.
                  > > 1 : Start user program.
                  > > >

                  > > I was successful in loading a stripped down version
                  > > of the firmware
                  > > I'm developing using the ISFP program. It stops at
                  > > 0x10000 though, if
                  > > I have the full version, hence the effort to use
                  > > flash_uty_38400_5K.hex.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for any insight on how to get ISFP to work
                  > > with larger files,
                  > > or how to get flash_uty_38400_5K.hex to work at all.
                  > >
                  > > James Lewis
                  > > Nomadics, Inc.
                  > >

                  > __________________________________
                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • sohrab_namvar
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
                    You should be able to use the browse botton to select the hex file
                    you want to burn in flash. Is it not working for you?
                    -- Sohrab

                    <jlewis@n...> wrote:

                    > Okay, I'm able to use ISFP if I manually type in the filename,
                    don't
                    > use the browse button.
                    >
                    > As for the flash_uty_38400.hex, I don't know what's wrong. It
                    doesn't
                    > matter now that ISFP is working.
                    >
                    > James
                    >
                    > --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "james_lewis_73104"
                    <jlewis@n...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi all,
                    > >
                    > > I've been using a flash utility I inherited on a project called
                    > > flash_uty.hex with a 67Q4003. I'm trying to migrate now to the
                    > > 67Q5003, and so am trying to use the flash_uty_38400_5K.hex from
                    this
                    > > site. What are the limitations for this? What baud rates are
                    valid
                    > > for a 33MHz oscillator? Xon/Xoff handshaking on or off? It
                    doesn't
                    > > display anything when I press '1' at this prompt:
                    > >
                    > > User program download finished.
                    > >
                    > > Select next operation.
                    > > 0 : Download other program.
                    > > 1 : Start user program.
                    > > >

                    > > I was successful in loading a stripped down version of the
                    firmware
                    > > I'm developing using the ISFP program. It stops at 0x10000
                    though, if
                    > > I have the full version, hence the effort to use
                    flash_uty_38400_5K.hex.

                    > > Thanks for any insight on how to get ISFP to work with larger
                    files,
                    > > or how to get flash_uty_38400_5K.hex to work at all.
                    > >
                    > > James Lewis
                    > > Nomadics, Inc.

                  • sohrab_namvar
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
                      The new version of ISFP opens the hex files as TEXT, so the problem
                      with reading the files generated under Cygwin or unix is resolved.
                      Could you verify and let me know? Thanks.
                      -- Sohrab

                      --- In OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Hiszpanski"
                      <chiszp@h...> wrote:

                      > Hi James,
                      >
                      > I am able to program files larger than 0xFFFF without problems on
                      the
                      > ML67Q5003 via ISFP. One problem I did have though was with ISFP
                      recoginizing
                      > the intel hex file generated under cygwin. I had to pass the file
                      through
                      > dos2unix. Otherwise ISFP would not program the chip properly.
                      >
                      > Chris
                      >
                      > >From: "james_lewis_73104" <jlewis@n...>
                      > >To: OKI-ARM-mcus@yahoogroups.com
                      > >Subject: [OKI-ARM-mcus] Having trouble with flash_uty_38400_5K.hex
                      > >Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 23:27:23 -0000
                      >
                      >d=yahoogroups.com;b=UgshCw5RuWrcZNKSsFY1wxq2TCqC6b3DeREqQV86S/ejgdXx
                      IFw3B5h9ErcK/wV86zuF0L2s9i51wKq0jbVC6aM1/95Dlf0nr3UD2B2iTZU6s5Z58W+GB
                      UXJwW4ONxLi;