A Mirror Shattered #1 #2 "Meeting of the minds."

  • Telek Sulan
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 25, 2006
      [On]
      [Chief Counselor's Office, USS Pegasus]

      Andrew felt the movement of the ship taking off. <Hmm, there goes my
      home, and here I am stuck in a cramped office again.> He sighed, and
      looked at a PADD filled with complaints regarding the acting chief of
      security. <They want me to investigate her ideas on the matter? So be
      it...> =/\= Ensign Kennedy to Lieutenant Sulan. If it wouldn't be too
      much trouble, could I see you in my office? I have some... reports
      about your actions, requesting an analysis on the matter. It shouldn't
      take long, I hope. =/\= He waited for her reply.

      Sulan pauses on the way to security. Hearing the counselor's message,
      she hits her com badge. =/\= "Actually Counselor, I'm quite busy at
      the moment. Some of my maggots are about to regret their previous
      actions. Can I schedule at another time?" =/\=
      =/\="Unfortunately, that IS the problem." Said Kennedy "The
      complaints are from most of your security team. I understand that you
      have a different set of ideals, but humans have their limits. From
      what I'm reading, you're trying to push them far beyond those limits."
      =/\=

      Sulan is silent for a moment. =/\= "Understood. I am on my way."=/\=
      She said a little irritation bleeding into her voice. A few moments
      later she entered into the counselor's office. Thought to an untrained
      eye she seemed calm, she was actually boiling with rage. "You're
      certain will not this take long?" She sits, tapping her fingers.

      "It shouldn't, I just want to hear your side of what you're doing, if
      you understand the kind of pressure and stress you're putting on the
      security personnel, and the pain of training. In essence, I want to
      see why you're doing this training so fiercely."

      "Why I'm going this so fiercely, Counselor? The Jem' Hadar. The
      Klingons. The Founders. The Romulans. The Breen. To name a few. Those
      are the reasons. I'm doing it to save their lives, and yours. None of
      my maggots are required to remain on the security staff if they cannot
      handle training." She squeezed the arms of the chair with her hands,
      so hard that her knuckles turned white.

      "But if they're too tired to fight, then what's the point?" He was
      letting his emotions run slightly unchecked, but she really irked him
      whenever they talked. " I know you have the ship's best interests in
      mind, but still. No human can take this kind of training for more than
      a couple of days before feeling the negative side effects of it." He
      paused. "Oh, and could you not destroy my chair?"

      She forced herself to relax. "Counselor, I know how to train those
      under my command. I highly doubt that a pilot of a desk has anything
      he could instruct me on." She realized how close her emotions were to
      the surface of her consciousness, and fought to push them down. She
      remembered the young ensign's words about her becoming a raving
      lunatic, and felt a thrill of fear. She touched the healing wound of
      her cheek, using the pain to try and calm her mind. "I may not be able
      to instruct you in how to train your men, but I can tell you that we
      humans don't have that kind of stamina." He glanced at her face. "And
      what happened to your cheek?"

      "An altercation with a former associate." She said, waving the comment
      away. "You believe that humans are weak. I do not. Though they are
      emotional, I believe they have the makings of fine warriors. But
      first, I have to beat the weakness out of them. If it means making
      them bleed a little, so be it." She said the last coldly.

      "I'm sure Commanders LaBrie and Petrova would disagree on that last
      point. Based on what I've seen of your mentality, you think anyone,
      with brutal and painful training, can become an elite warrior like
      what you appear to be. I'm telling you that isn't possible."

      "And again, I must point out to you ignorance on the matter." She
      stands, moving close to his desk and glaring down at him. "I have seen
      warriors, Counselor. I've made them, fought alongside them, and slain
      them in battle. I am the one who will judge what is possible, not
      you." Andrew also stands, returning the glare. <I'm not backing down
      to a Vulcan with a superiority complex> he thought before talking. "I
      sense anger in your voice, Lieutenant. Certainly a 'superior race', as
      you call Vulcans, would not let themselves succumb to an emotion such
      as this. You may have been alongside warriors, but now that you're
      aboard this ship, you follow other commands, not your own. I will be
      sending a report to Caelen stating this, and expect after that I will
      NOT be getting more complaints about the ferocity you're putting
      fellow crewmembers through. You may think you have the best
      intentions, but I've studied humans longer than you. I know them
      inside and out. You don't."

      Sulan's left eyelid twitches slightly, in the effort to control the
      murderous rage she now feels. Wouldn't be so simple to reach across
      the desk and yank him over top of it, then throw him across the room
      into a bulkhead? Perhaps beat him with the framed psychology degree on
      the wall behind him? She almost laughs at the irony of the thought,
      before forcing the thought away. As calmly as she can, she returns to
      her seat and folds her hands in her lap. "Perhaps that is so, but my
      job is to teach them to protect this vessel and, by extension, you. I
      will accomplish this goal. No matter what you think of me, or my
      methods..." Her voice has a forced flatness.

      "Very well, I think I've got what I require for a response to these
      complaints. If there's anything you wish to add to this, do so now,
      otherwise you can go about on your merry little way, possibly harming
      the men in the brig in the process." He said the last bit cynically.
      <She really, REALLY irritates me, but I don't have any other choice
      but to work with her.>

      "There is nothing else I wish to add, Counselor." Sulan says deadpan.

      "Very well then, you may leave." He began writing his report as he
      said this, remembering every word said in the conversation. She nods,
      leaving without a word.
      [Hollodeck, U.S.S. Pegasus]

      Sulan entered the Hollodeck in a rush. "Attention on deck!" Miller
      shouted as the squad comes to attention. All of them wear light grade
      space suits for today's training. "Smith, Johnson, step forward.
      Now." She says, hotly. They step forward looking fearful.

      "Drop your weapons, and strip your suits. Your spending the next three
      weeks in the brig. Move out."
      "But, sir-" Johnson starts to say, but doesn't have the chance to
      finish before Sulan grabbed the front of his suit and yanked him off
      his feet, throwing him toward the double doors of the hollodeck like a
      sack of potatoes. He flew nearly the length of the hollodeck before
      coming to rest in a heap at the foot of the doors. Smith flees,
      running as fast as his feet can carry him.

      Sulan watches them go before speaking again. "Today seems to be a red
      letter day for people who wish to question my authority. Does anyone
      else want flying lessons?" The squad is silent. "Good. I thought not."
      She walks up and down the ranks pacing. "Today we will practice
      simulated space combat on the ship's hull. The enemy will be a group
      of aggressors posing as a repair crew while the ship is in dry dock.
      Ready weapons and equipment. Miller, you will once again be leading
      the squad, with Rodriguez acting as your second-in-command." She
      watched as they secured their weapons and check each other's suits for
      integrity. When they all gave the thumbs up, she continued. "Remember,
      there is no up or down in space. So, use the ship's hull as you
      horizon, and try not to look into interstellar space if you can avoid
      it. Doing so will cause vertigo, and make you a target. Any
      questions?" There were none. "Very well. Computer: Begin program
      'Drydock'."

      Sulan and the hollodeck fade from view to be replaced by the ship's
      ventral hull. Rodriguez instinctively looks 'up' and is hit with a
      wave of dizziness, that causes hit to loose the magnetic lock on his
      boots. Miller grabs him to keep him from floating off into space. "Get
      it together, Rodriguez!" He says angrily over the suit's comm
      channel. "Alright everyone, spread out and keep your eyes peeled." He
      orders quietly, while his eyes search for the hostiles.

      They all move quickly and quietly in a crouch. No one spoke but when
      necessary. The Saucer section seemed like a vast field of grey broken
      by a viewport every few meters. "There!" Miller shouted, pointing
      ahead to the forward part of the saucer section near the main phaser.
      People dressed as starfleet repair crews were attaching something to
      the main phaser array. "Light 'em up!" Miller shouted, and the squad
      fired as one, each finding separate targets. The phasers cut through
      the enemy suits as if they didn't exist, Red blood flowed from the
      suits, which froze instantly, forming a red frost which drifted away
      like morbid snow. In space combat, wounded were rare. If your suit was
      breeched, you died. A simple hard fact. As brutal as the vacuum itself.

      Miller dashed forward, jumping into the trench,and blasting away at
      the bolts that held the device. The bolts would not be severed, not
      matter how often he fired. Dropping his phaser, he began severing
      wires with his utility knife, monitoring the devices power output with
      his tricorder.

      "ENEMY CRAFT APPROACHING!" Rodriquez shouted over the radio. "Fall
      back to the hatches." Miller said calmly. "Once I get this thing
      offline have O'Driscoll vape those bastards." The rest of the squad
      ran back to the hatches and safety while Miller calmly sliced wires.
      The tricorder hummed a single note, indicating the devices power
      output was zero. =/\= "O'Driscoll, burn those guys for me, okay?" =/\=
      Miller sent to the bridge.

      "Get out of there!" Rodriguez shouted over the radio. "Nah." Miller
      said quietly. The radiation would bake me before I got ten meters.
      Been nice knowing you guys. Miller out." He closed the channel. The
      sound of the phaser array was a deadly hum. As the energy cells
      charged, there was a feeling similar to ants crawling all over his
      body. Then a sudden feeling of intense heat, light and pain.

      Then the simulation ended.

      "Miller why did you sacrifice yourself in that manner?" Sulan asked as
      she stepped away from the control panel. "Well sir, I knew that that
      thing was probably a trilithium bomb. If the phaser array had been
      fired while that was there, if could have taken half the saucer
      section off the ship. At the very least, it would have knocked out the
      ventral phaser array, leaving the Peggy vulnerable in that spot. I
      knew if they'd waited till I got clear, lots more people would have
      been killed while they waited till I was at a safe distance. Like the
      man said sir, 'The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.'"
      he said sheepishly.

      "Excellent work ensign. Truly excellent." Sulan said "Squad dismissed."

      [Sulan's quarters, U.S.S. Pegasus]

      Sulan entered her quarters, still thinking about Miller's performance.
      The maggot's training was coming along nicely. Though, she admitted to
      herself, she wouldn't be called them maggot's for much longer. They
      were quickly on their way to becoming true security officers.

      A message light blinked on her personal processing unit. "Computer,
      play message." She said absently, as she got a fresh uniform from a
      drawer. She froze in midstep when she saw the face on the screen.
      "Hello, my dear Sulan. This is Angel. I'm sorry I never got the chance
      to give you my name when we met last time, but you know how it is,
      right? I have your orders from out mutual friend. He tells me to let
      you know that your going to follow them just as I'm going to outline,
      or you'll die. Ohhh Scary huh?" It was the young ensign from the park
      in San Fransisco. The one who'd hurt her.

      Sulan listened to the rest of the recorded message with growing
      horror, finally in desperation, she covered her ears with her hands in
      an effort of block out the horrible words. When the message was
      complete she dashed over to the desk and grabbed the device from the
      desk and hurled it against the bulkhead with all her might. It
      practically exploded against the wall in a shower of sparks and plastic.

      "No... I-I...won't...I refuse..." She said to herself, unaware that
      she had even spoken aloud. She collapsed in the middle of the floor,
      weeping like a lost child, for the fist time in years.

      [Off]

      A joint post by:

      Lieutenant Telek Sulan
      (Acting) Security Chief
      U.S.S. Pegasus
      "The Counselor thinks he can figure me out? Let's see if he can figure
      out where I hide his arm after I rip it off?"

      &

      Ensign Andrew Kennedy
      Chief Counselor
      U.S.S. Pegasus
      "Good thing I'm above people with superiority complexes"
    • Ashlene Allen
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 26, 2006
        OFF: A little backpost to compensate for my inactivity :P

        ON : << Canberra, Australia>>

        Alyson had been high for the better part of 24 hours, as she had
        partied all night, and had still taken some drugs after she had
        gotten back to Shakespeare's studio. And now, he was sleeping, and
        she wasn't, since she had to be back on the ship shortly, and was
        packing her bags.

        She looked at its contents again. Clothes, personal itemsÂ…and drugs.
        Hypos upon hypos of cocaine and heroin. Innocent looking containers
        containing lethal, and illegal, crap. Shakespeare had given them to
        her, at no charge. No, he hadn't given them to her, he insisted she
        take them and when she had refused, slipped them in the bag.

        She wanted to leave the stuff here, take it out of her bag and leave
        it on the table before her. She wanted to resist the temptation, but
        she knew she couldn't. Even after rehab, she had had a hard time
        resisting the sweet temptation of cocaine, heroin, et cetera. One of
        the reasons she left Earth and wandered space. No drugs in space.

        She left the stuff in the bag. She'd dispose of it appropriately when
        she got back on the ship. No she wouldn't. She'd use them, until she
        was out, and get so addicted again she'd do anything to get her hands
        on some just so she could get stoned. For the trip. For the sensation
        it procured.

        She zipped up the bag after stuffing the hypos under her clothes.
        She'd use them, alright. She'd gotten addicted again.

        Pixie was back, and was taking her into the downward spiral again.

        OFF :

        Alyson Cooper
        Barwench/Yeoman
        USS Pegasus