"Mount Up" #1&2 - "And so it begins"

  • John Conahan
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 17, 2005
      OOC: I would like to Welcome you all to the USS Pegasus, I hope
      we're going to have a great time playing in this simm. You should
      see this post as the start sign. After I've posted this you can fire
      away! Good Luck and Have Fun!

      "And so it begins"

      -={On}=-
      [Starbase 137, 18.45 hours]

      Caelen looked out of the window on the promenade, with his daughter,
      Alex, on the hip he was admiring his new ship, his new home. A
      Centaur class, as close to unique as any could ever come. "There's
      our new home" he said to Alex pointing at the USS Pegasus. "But it's
      so small" she reacted to her father, in comparison with the
      Excelsior where she grew up on she was right. "Well at least it's
      not a Defiant class" Caelen reacted with a smile.

      As they were looking at the ship they'd see a standard Type VIII
      shuttle flying past, between their viewport and the ship. It heads
      for the nearby docking port .. a call on the PA 'Shuttle Executor
      now arriving. Repeat, shuttle Executor now arriving'.. Caelen would
      know that his new XO was onboard that shuttle. Lieutenant Commander
      Kristiana Petrova.

      "Hey, Alex, go back to mom" Caelen said to his daughter, his wife
      was somewhere on the promenade as well. As soon as Alexandra spotted
      her she flew off towards Jennifer. Caelen walked towards the bay
      where the shuttle had docked, he arrived just in time to see his new
      XO stepping out of it. "Commander Petrova I presume?" he said when
      he came into hearing range.

      She'd halt and glance around for the source of the voice. Gaze
      finally settling on Caelen, she'd smirk softly. Nods, and would
      salute. "Kristiana Petrova reporting for duty, Sir. I was told our
      ship was somewhere near here .. But I must've blinked, and missed
      it."

      Caelen showed a broad smile, he had read about Kristiana, her
      personality, her quirks, her being send off ships for dubious
      reasons. He had also read that she was highly capable of her task
      and a rather intelligent individual. Every admiral would've stopped
      Caelen from making Kristiana his XO, but alas the Admirals had
      little to say about his crew. "Follow Me" Caelen said leading the
      way back to the window he had stood only minutes ago with his little
      girl.

      An eyebrow would raise, as Caelen just told her to follow him, and
      then promptly turned and headed off. She shrugged a bit, hefting her
      back, and started after him - her full, toned 6'1" moving with
      decisive steps. "alright .. " following her new CO to the window.

      "There she is" Caelen said with pride in his voice, you could see it
      in his eyes and stature, he was proud he got handed the Command of
      this small and maneuverable ship. He then turned to
      Kristiana, "Caelen LaBrie" he said holding out a hand finally
      introducing himself to his new XO.

      She stood besides him, not even bothering to put her - doubtlessly
      Heavy - bag down. She looked at the ship for a few moments, seeming
      not at all that impressed. Finally she turned to her CO and returned
      the handshake - her own handshake very strong. ".. Pleased to meet
      you, Cap." "and for what it's worth .. I'm sorry you got stuck with
      me as your XO." A knowing smirk would tell Caelen that she was half
      joking. Only half.

      Caelen smiled letting go of the vice grip that was Kristiana's
      handshake, "I'm sorry that you were the only one that applied"
      Caelen answered with a broad smile, he was joking and making sure
      Kristiana got that. "So why did I get over twenty messages from CO's
      and Admirals that advised me against taking you on my ship?" he
      asked in a bit more serious tone. He wanted to know her side to the
      story, not the political correct side that was always in the logs
      and profiles of the officers in Starfleet.

      "Mostly because I don't know how to keep my mouth shut when I don't
      like something, Sir." She answered with that same knowing
      smirk. "This tends to rub them the wrong way. A woman, telling them
      down. It eats away at their pride." She'd look at the ship again,
      her expression once more changing to unreadable.

      Caelen nodded "Well I hope you point out my mistakes..." he said,
      hoping that he wouldn't unleash something like a mother in law like
      machine that told him he was doing wrong over and over again "...I'm
      not perfect you know" he added. He looked back outside "just make
      sure everything you say and do is in the interest of the Pegasus" he
      said nodding to the ship outside the window.

      ".. No promises." She'd narrow her eyes slightly, taking in every
      detail of the medium cruiser floating outside the viewport. She
      remains silent for a few more moments, before speaking again .. "...
      With all due respect, Sir. Are we going to just stare at her, or
      actually Board her, some time ?"

      Caelen looked at the Pegasus a second longer before
      sighing, "alright..." he exclaimed. Starting to walk towards the
      corridor that would lead them to the airlock connected to the USS
      Pegasus. Just when he wanted to turn right, into the corridor
      Jennifer and Alex, his wife and daughter, caught up with
      him. "You're going into the ship?" Jennifer asked, Caelen nodded, he
      then turned to Kristiana "This is my wife Jennifer and my daughter
      Alexandra" he said introducing the three to each other.

      She'd follow again, carrying her heavy bag, but with a measure of
      ease, it seemed. A nod given to Jennifer and Alex, along with a bit
      of a smile. "Pleased to meet you. Kristiana Petrova .. Kris for
      short." The tall, toned woman gave Jennifer a sturdy handshake and
      ruffling young Alex's hair a bit.

      Alex smiled, "can I come daddy?" she then asked pulling Caelen's
      arm, "I'm sorry hunny but Daddy's got some things to talk over with
      Miss Petrova over here" he said softly stroking her head. "I'll take
      you and mommy for a tour on the ship later tonight, ok?" Caelen said
      when he saw the disappointment in little Alex's eyes. They
      brightened up somewhat but it didn't fully make her happy
      again, "Hey Jenn, all our stuff is already brought to our new
      quarters, as soon as I get back we'll arrange put everything in
      place, ok?" he said looking at the love of his life. Jennifer smiled
      and kissed Caelen before answering "Sure"

      A silent eyebrow raised at that. Miss Petrova ? Sheesh. She waited
      silently for Jenn and Alex to bugger off and for Caelen to continue
      towards and, hopefully, eventually Into the ship. <tag>

      Caelen got a kiss from his daughter and resumed his course towards
      the ship, hearing that Kris was still following him "let's first get
      that heavy luggage into your quarters" he said looking over his
      shoulder, he would offer her a hand but was afraid that it would be
      taken wrongly. When they arrived at the airlock Caelen opened it
      with his code and as the doors made their trademark hiss Caelen his
      face lightened up, it was the same old boys with toys story.

      A story that most girls - at least not this one - did not share.
      She's seen ships. A Lot of them. Inside and out. She's served on
      many of them, and would scarcely even bother unpacking all of her
      stuff, knowing that she'd likely not stay there for a long time,
      anyways. She'd glance boredly at the airlock doors opening. ".. This
      is your first command, hm ? .. It shows." <tag>

      Caelen let out a soft and short laugh, "ha... yeah... very exciting"
      he said glancing only shortly at Kris, she couldn't ruin this
      moment, this was his moment. Caelen took the first step onto the
      ship with thoughts of his lost friend going through his mind, if
      only he was here, if only he was his XO, or even CO, as long as he
      would be here, but alas. It hurt him in his chest, every great
      moment hurt him in his heart nowadays, his wedding, the birth of his
      daughter and now his own command. He quickly walked on to the turbo
      lift, all systems were activated already as several Engineers from
      the starbase were making the ship ready for whatever it might face.

      She'd follow him, letting him take the first step on. As blunt as
      she could be with her words, she did notice in his speech and in his
      movements that this was a big moment for him, and she granted him
      that moment. She'd also prove that she'd read his own profile,
      before meeting him, as she spoke. "Well, congratulations, Sir. And
      I'm sure that your friend Alex would be proud of you .. From
      wherever he is watching you."

      Caelen was a bit shocked when he heard that his new XO knew about
      his best friend, he looked at the ground trying to fight back all
      the feelings of sadness and anger again, "I..." he started
      swallowing a big lump in his throat "...know" he added after a split
      second pause. They arrived at the Turbo lift and the doors opened
      automatically, as always, he stepped into the turbo lift waiting for
      Kris to join him "Deck three" he exclaimed remembering where to find
      the Senior officer's quarters.

      She'd join him. She sighed softly, and with a soft wince put her
      heavy bag down for a bit. "It's a nice ship, Sir. How old is
      she ? .. Looks well maintained." changing the subject back to
      the 'boy's toy'

      "She's been through the Dominion war, produced after the heavy loses
      lead in the battle for Wolf 359, but the designs are from the early
      2320's" Caelen explained from the top of his head. The lift came to
      a stop on the 3rd deck and the doors opened again, "it was made from
      Excelsior and Miranda parts" he added. Caelen didn't know if Kris
      was interested at all but he just liked elaborating about things he
      knew, he resumed his way towards the XO's quarters, which weren't
      far away from the turbo lift. "it's designed to use 85% of the
      resources and strength an Excelsior would need and have with only
      half the amount of crew" he added to the explanation of this ship.
      He stopped at the doors of the XO's quarters. "here we are" he said.

      She hefted her bag again as she let her CO explain. Men like to
      explain about the things they like. It was a universal constant. And
      as long as he was explaining, she could remain quiet, which in turn
      decreased her chances of upsetting her CO on her first day in. She'd
      follow him to her new quarters. Nods. "Thanks Cap."

      Caelen tapped a few buttons on the outside of the door before it
      opened "Just throw your bags inside and let's get to the bridge" he
      said when the doors had fully opened and Kris had stepped inside.

      She took a moment to look around a bit. "Water shower .. Very nice.
      Let's see .. Separate bedroom .. Mmm .. I can get used to this."
      She'd say with a smile as she placed her bag on the floor and
      stepped out of her new quarters again.

      "Let's Go!" Caelen said perhaps a bit to happy and eager. Back
      towards the turbolift, waiting for Kris to get in and the doors to
      close, "The Bridge" he said as the lift slowly got into motion
      again, "so tell me a little more about yourself" he said still
      trying to break the ice between him and his new XO, as it seemed to
      be a bit forced and distant up until now.

      "... " He caught her a bit off guard with that. "Well, what is there
      to tell that isn't in my profile already ? I'm single, not
      specifically looking .. I'm .. past 30 - " she diplomatically
      says .. " - I've served on many ships in various bridge functions.
      Started out as security, then rose through the ranks .. Became
      Lieutenant Commander just a few months ago." as she would follow him.

      The lift stopped again at the bridge, the doors opened slowly
      revealing the bridge of the girl. Everything was in the right place,
      it all smelled new and looked it as well. Caelen stepped onto the
      bridge, this was it, his new command, his own ship, this was it.
      Caelen walked towards the Captains chair with Kris following closely
      behind him. He slowly lowered himself into the centre chair and
      motioned Kris to take place in the XO's chair "We'd better get
      comfortable in these..." Caelen said "... we're going to spend a
      long time in these" he added looking proudly around him to scan the
      entire bridge.

      With a sigh she'd let herself flop in the XO's chair, closing her
      eyes, leaning back. Slowly a smile would form, before she opened her
      eyes again and looked around at the entirety of the bridge. ".. Not
      bad. It's no galaxy, but .. Not bad." She'd admit to him. "This is
      my first post as XO .. I'm hoping that, perhaps, this time things
      will be different, and I might stay long enough to unpack."

      "I'm sure we'll work something out" Caelen said looking at the
      XO, "my daughter loves unpacking" he added with a short laugh
      following. He knew that he should stop laughing over his own jokes
      but he couldn't help it.

      She'd give him a smirk, then a nod, as her smirk turned into a
      smile. A warm, genuine smile. ".. thank you, Sir .. For taking me
      on. I'll certainly do my best not to disappoint you."

      -={Off}=-
      a JP by:

      Commander Caelen LaBrie
      Commanding Officer

      &

      Lt. Commander Kirstiana Petrova
      Executive Officer

      USS Pegasus
    • John Conahan
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 17, 2005
        and off course as we write the first posts we have mistakes :D:P
        Caelen is actually a Lt. Commander and Kristiana is off course
        Lieutenant (as correctly described in the second post :D) sorry for
        this small error.

        John Conahan a.k.a. Lt. Cmdr. Caelen LaBrie

        --- In OF_pegasus@yahoogroups.com, "John Conahan" <fng-