BM searching BD 3/17/85

  • tammy
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
      i'm serching for my birth daughter wendy marie bennett she was born
      in birminham alabama on 3/17/85 i have an adopted name of: jennifer
      leschak but that is all. i'm at a dead end.

      birth mother: tammy ann bennett born 8/3/64 in ct.
      birth father: jeffrey (jeff) douglas bennett born 4/11/60
      we let go of our rights on 10/1985 in ocala,florida H.R.S.
      the social workers name is: marion summer the judge was sturges

      now that i have an adopted name where do i go from here?
      any one can e-mail me at : tammym64@... or
      tmiller14@...
    • Barb
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2004
        Here is some information in case she has contacted the state to get
        her records open. Have you put any information into her file?
        Write her a letter to her, also include any medical information on
        your family and also included some pictures, include anything you
        want to.. :>) I also searched 567,078,203 people and did
        not come up with the name for your daughter that you have. Are you
        sure that is her adopted name? Also it might be, because she is
        still young and has not established credit or is in college.
        Do you have any info on the aparents?

        Let me know.

        Barb

        Please read this.
        This link is for the Birth Parents. A Form for you to send in.
        When you send this form in, attach a letter, photo's anything that
        you want her to know. Please read further down also

        http://ph.state.al.us/Chs/VitalRecords/Adoption/contact2.pdf

        CONTACT PREFERENCE FORMS FOR PARENTS OF ADOPTED CHILDREN
        BORN IN ALABAMA

        BACKGROUND: Alabama law directs the State Registrar to establish a
        new birth certificate after an adoption takes place. The new birth
        certificate is substituted for the original birth certificate in the
        files, and the original birth certificate and evidence of adoption
        are placed in a "sealed file" that previously could only be accessed
        by obtaining a court order (Section 22-9A-12). In 2000, the Alabama
        legislature amended the vital records law to allow a person 19 years
        of age or older whose original birth certificate was placed in
        a "sealed file" to obtain a non-certified copy of that record and any
        other documents in the "sealed file." Therefore, the child will be
        able to obtain all information included on the original birth
        certificate including the name(s) of the parent(s) and any legal
        documents in the vital records file relating to the adoption.

        HOW CAN PARENTS STATE THEIR PREFERENCE FOR CONTACT?
        The 2000 revision to the vital records law also provides for a birth
        parent, at his/her request, to place a parent Contact Preference and
        Medical History Form in the "sealed file." This form will allow a
        birth parent to state if he/she (1) wishes to be contacted, (2)
        prefers to be contacted through an intermediary, or (3) prefers not
        to be contacted. The parent may also complete medical history
        information on the form. The completed form will be placed in an
        envelope which will be put into the "sealed file" with the original
        birth certificate if the parent can provide sufficient information
        for us to locate that "sealed file." The Contact Preference form is
        considered a private communication from the birth parent to the child
        and no copies of the form will be given to anyone other than the
        child.
        WHAT INFORMATION IS NECESSARY TO LOCATE THE ORIGINAL BIRTH
        CERTIFICATE?
        Since the original birth certificate is in a "sealed file," we have
        no index references to the names of the parent(s) on that
        certificate. We can only locate those files using the date of birth
        and the place where the child was born. Therefore, we must have the
        exact day of birth and the exact city or county where the child was
        born for us to try to locate the correct record. If we locate a
        possible record, we will use the mother's name as it appears on
        original birth certificate to confirm that we have the correct
        record. Thus, we must also have the mother's name exactly as it
        appears on the original birth certificate. Unless these three items
        are exactly correct, we will not be able to confirm that we have
        located the right birth certificate.
        WHAT HAPPENS IF THE ORIGINAL BIRTH CERTIFICATE CANNOT BE LOCATED?
        If we are unable to locate the original birth certificate, we will
        return the Contact Preference form to the parent with a letter
        stating we were unable to locate the record.
        IS THERE A FEE FOR PROCESSING CONTACT PREFERENCE FORMS?
        Yes, there is a non-refundable fee of $20.00 for searching for the
        original birth certificate and placing the documents in the sealed
        file if the record is found or reporting the result of the search to
        the requesting parent if the original birth certificate cannot be
        found.
        WHAT INFORMATION WILL THE CHILD RECEIVE?
        If the child requests a copy of his/her original birth certificate
        after the Contact Preference Form has been placed in the sealed file,
        that form will be given to the child along with copies of all other
        documents in the file. Generally the sealed files contain a copy of
        the original birth certificate and the legal documents from the court
        where the adoption took place. The information on the birth
        certificate in the file is shown as it was provided by the birth
        parent(s) at the time of birth.
        HOW SHOULD A CONTACT PREFERENCE FORM BE REQUESTED?
        Click here for the form
        http://ph.state.al.us/Chs/VitalRecords/Adoption/contact2.pdf

        Or, send a letter requesting the form with your mailing address and a
        telephone number where we can reach you during the day. Mail the
        request to
        Vital Records - Adoption Section
        P.O. Box 5625
        Montgomery, Alabama 36103-5625
        FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CALL (334) 206-5426.

        In a message dated 9/2/2004 3:52:00 AM Eastern Standard Time, OAR-
        Message: 1
        Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:26:14 -0000
        From: "tammy" <tammym64@...>
        Subject: BM searching BD 3/17/85