Re: [OAFs] oops

  • Richard Harding
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2002
      Once again, the attachment was non-existant on my message. So here it is!
      Night of the Bugs...Part Deux

      "But Jebodiah.....they are only innocent amateur astronomers" opined Luella..."what harm can they do?"

      Jeb swung around, eyes blazing..."what harm?!?...have you forgotten what they did to your brother?!?!"

      Luella fell silent.....the horror of the strange 'Dobbing Event' etched in her mind.....

      "No girl....this has to stop here....them n' their strange things they do in the dark....it ain't natural I say!!"

      But Hon...theyll's be gone in a couple of hours, when the sun chases away the creatures of the night!"

      A dark pall fell over Jeb's eyes......"they ain't going nowhere...." Jeb turned to his son, Jethro......"Jethro, go get the axe....hurry down to the old poplar tree at Rabid Squirrel Hill and drop it across the road. I'll go up to Carty's and get the 'Girls" ready...heh heh heh".

      Attilla slipped on his #2 welders' goggles, turned to Richard pointing at the horizon, and immediately tripped over eyepiece case....."$$%#$%#$%#%$ you Televue!!"

      Richard smiled...."better yours than mine!!"

      Attilla grimaced through the pain......"Any bugs yet?!?"

      "Nah....a couple feeble attempts at my ears, but they just don't seem to have the mustard tonight!! By the way, did you notice an old pickup truck just go by with its lights out, or did I just fabricate this in the name of a good story?!?"

      Attilla rubbed his throbbing shin....."nah...with this brisk wind in my ears, I can't even hear the blood pounding in my temples".

      Ignoring Danko's strange comeback, Richard pointed to Vega...."looks like a good night...the milky way be bright" he said, in a curiously nautical way, made doubly odd by the fact that he had been prairie born and bred. This was met by a crashing sound off in the distance. "What was that", he shouted, "a deer?!?!"

      "Only if it weights 3,500 hundred pounds", snorted Attilla.....putting his 'vectoring auditory correlation unit mass (VACUM) calculator' back in his pocket......

      He really does have ALL the toys thought Richard as he swung his scope off to the safety blanket of M-81/82. He noticed Attilla performing a strange dance around his exquisite Traveller apo.....hmmmmm....strange because as far as he knew, Attilla didn't dance...something about his Hungarian mother's beliefs that dancing was not only hard, but a device of the devil....but that's another story, for another cloudy day...

      On and on the night advanced.....swinging from object to object....dancing around the devices of our affliction.....till finally Attilla exclaimed....."there's that bit** Luna poking above the horizon....I guess this session's over.. mind if I put on a light to find my hat."

      The 4000 foot candle torch lit up the country side like a false dawn. "You'll find Jimmy Hoffa before you find your hat with that torch!!!" muttered a blinded Richard who groped towards his car looking for his scope cap.

      Suddenly, in the distance a wolfish howl broke the night. "what the...." exclaimed Attilla. They quickly finished packing up and jumped into their vehicles. "Last one out's a Tasco wannabe", yelled Attilla as he tore down the road seeking the safety of civilization. Richard, remembering the 'speed kills' seminar he had taken years back, proceeded down the road at a safer pace. Beer caps and cigarette wrappers shone back from the ditch like the eyes of so many raccoons or 'trash dogs' as his mother used to call them. Attilla's tail-lights flashed as he careened down the hill side only to come to a screaming halt at the crest of yet another hill. There across the road lay the carcass of a 4,000 pound poplar tree... 'have to get that VACUM unit calibrated', though Attilla wryly.

      From behind them the howling became louder...."We're trapped wailed Richard" (bravely, but wailing none the less). "We're ALL GONNA DIE!!" Attilla would have slapped him, but he was busy with his GPS unit and topographic maps of the mountain top...."Not if I can help it" he commented grittily. "I know there must be a back road outta here someplace.....there's always a back road!!!.....yes, that's it....there's a logging road that passes back over the mountain through the woods and joins up with 628....I knew it!!" He jumped into his trusty minivan and tore back up the hill."

      Richard then committed the unforgivable sin that everyone who has ever watched a B-grade horror films understands NOT to do......he looked back!!!! There to his horror was the outline of a man....his crazy eyes standing out like lanterns on a stormy shore. In his hands were two massive cages....and in the cages mosquitoes...millions of them!!! Richard turned and stumbled to his faithful Ford wagon. "Start damn you!!!" he shouted, frantically turning the key in the ignition...which was unnecessary given the reality of fuel injection.

      Back up the hill he drove.....leaving Jeb standing in the middle of the road.....as if the reality of the situation had never entered into his evil plan. They had cars.

    • attilladanko
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2002
        --- In OAFs@y..., "Richard Harding" <richard.harding@s...> wrote:

        <...Part 4 of the "night of the bugs" based on the last Kenelly's
        mountain trip elided...>

        Amusing.

        But Richard is making it hard for readers to separate
        the fictional elements from the historical elements. Author talk
        for "he didnt make it all up".

        True:
        - I really did screech to a halt, surpised by a giant tree
        that had fallen accross the road since we had drove up.
        We drove an extra half hour on back roads to get out.
        But it felt like hours.
        - I really was wearing welding googles at one point, but they
        probably looked much stupider than Richard writes.
        - M81/M82 really were very nice.

        Fiction:
        - Injuries and eyepices: No shins or eyepieces were harmed.
        - Richard's snippets of Hungarian culture. I grew up in Montreal.
        - Richard's was completely calm and rational. Wouldnt pass
        a screen-test for a B movie, I'm afraid.
        - I would never call someone a "tasco wannabe". That's just
        too low.
        - I donot have a VACUM unit. Where can i get one?

        What *really* I hope is fiction:
        - hints about Richard's familly.

        :)

        -ad
      • albertsaikaley
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2002
          Richard,
          Very, very good!

          I'm sorry to have missed the adventure. Next new moon will
          definately be night of the bugs part deux, hence there is no way
          I'll be out there. I'm might take chance on FLO or BC as there are
          club houses to retreat to.

          Cheers,
          Albert.

> [...]
          looking for his scope cap.

          > Suddenly, in the distance a wolfish howl broke the night. "what
          the...." exclaimed Attilla. They quickly finished packing up and
          jumped into their vehicles. "Last one out's a Tasco wannabe", yelled
          Attilla as he tore down the road seeking the safety of civilization.
          Richard, remembering the 'speed kills' seminar he had taken years
          back, proceeded down the road at a safer pace. Beer caps and
          cigarette wrappers shone back from the ditch like the eyes of so many
          raccoons or 'trash dogs' as his mother used to call them. Attilla's
          tail-lights flashed as he careened down the hill side only to come to
          a screaming halt at the crest of yet another hill. There across the
          road lay the carcass of a 4,000 pound poplar tree... 'have to get
          that VACUM unit calibrated', though Attilla wryly.

          Richard" (bravely, but wailing none the less). "We're ALL GONNA
          DIE!!" Attilla would have slapped him, but he was busy with his GPS
          unit and topographic maps of the mountain top...."Not if I can help
          it" he commented grittily. "I know there must be a back road outta
          here someplace.....there's always a back road!!!.....yes, that's
          it....there's a logging road that passes back over the mountain
          through the woods and joins up with 628....I knew it!!" He jumped
          into his trusty minivan and tore back up the hill."

          > Richard then committed the unforgivable sin that everyone who has
          ever watched a B-grade horror films understands NOT to do......he
          looked back!!!! There to his horror was the outline of a man....his
          crazy eyes standing out like lanterns on a stormy shore. In his hands
          were two massive cages....and in the cages mosquitoes...millions of
          them!!! Richard turned and stumbled to his faithful Ford
          wagon. "Start damn you!!!" he shouted, frantically turning the key in
          the ignition...which was unnecessary given the reality of fuel
          injection.

          > Back up the hill he drove.....leaving Jeb standing in the middle of
          the road.....as if the reality of the situation had never entered
          into his evil plan. They had cars.

        • Mike Wirths
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3, 2002
            Hi everyone!

            I'm not dead yet (Mary Queen of Scots), it seems my ISP problems have been
            sorted out,,,,so I'm back!
            Great story Richard you're a twisted individual!! But thats why we like you
            ;>) Wish I could have joined Attilla and you up a the mountain but I was
            asked by the people at the Big Rideau Lake Asocc. to bring my scope out to
            the Mill pond conservation area near Portland, as part of their nature
            interpretive program. I don't know if you 2 had the same nasty haze but it
            was pretty poor (seeing as well as transparency) until about 11:30-12:00
            when it got a lot more transparent. So I stuck to showing bright globulars
            (M3,13) to the 15 or so people that showed up (they had done an Owl walk at
            dusk with the voluteer naturalists there). Alberio and M57 seemed to be very
            popular but an attempt at M51 only very faintly showed spiral
            structure.Later in the summer they would like to bring up to 20 people out
            to my observatory so I'll let y'all know when exactly thats happening, they
            seem to be a great bunch of people very enthusiastic.
            So anyone into coming out to my place tonight? It looks like it will be
            above average conditions according to the CSC, any time around sunset is
            fine bring your scopes! I think I'd like to try for Pluto tonight got the
            bug from this site:

            http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html

            hope to see some of you tonight

            Mike W

> [...]
            >through the woods and joins up with 628....I knew it!!" He jumped
            >into his trusty minivan and tore back up the hill."
            >>
            >> Richard then committed the unforgivable sin that everyone who has
            >ever watched a B-grade horror films understands NOT to do......he
            >looked back!!!! There to his horror was the outline of a man....his
            >crazy eyes standing out like lanterns on a stormy shore. In his hands
            >were two massive cages....and in the cages mosquitoes...millions of
            >them!!! Richard turned and stumbled to his faithful Ford
            >wagon. "Start damn you!!!" he shouted, frantically turning the key in
            >the ignition...which was unnecessary given the reality of fuel
            >injection.
            >>
            >> Back up the hill he drove.....leaving Jeb standing in the middle of
            >the road.....as if the reality of the situation had never entered

          • roland_prevost
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2002
              It lives!...IT LIVES!...

              Hi Pizzle!

              So good to hear from you again -- many of us were seriously starting
              to make noises about forming a possee. Heck, I almost called you up
              to apologize for whatever... ;-)

              I can't take you up on your great invite tho', this particular time,
              as I got my CCD tent set up in the back yard last nite, seeing two
              clear nites in a row. Since everything's set up, I think I'll stick
              to that. ( Nomadic temp observatories make you wanna take advantage
              of when everything finally gets set up -- eventually a b.y. or other
              permanent observatory might be the cure. )

              Good observing...

              IT LI-I-IVES!
              -Rol

              --- In OAFs@y..., "Mike Wirths" <mwirths@s...> wrote:
              > I'm not dead yet...
              >So anyone into coming out to my place tonight?...
            • Attilla Danko
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3, 2002
                Welcome back.

                > I don't know if you 2 had the same nasty haze but it
                > was pretty poor (seeing as well as transparency) until about 11:30-12:00
                > when it got a lot more transparent.

                Transparency was good at Kennelly's. I dont recall any haze all.

                >Alberio and M57 seemed to be very popular but an attempt at M51 only very faintly
                >showed spiral structure.

                You must have been outside the bubble of clear air. M51 was showing structure in
                Richard's 8", so it should have been HF in your scope.

                > So anyone into coming out to my place tonight? It looks like it will be
                > above average conditions according to the CSC, any time around sunset is
                > fine bring your scopes!

                Wooo Hooo! I'll be there. (9-ish, I think.)

                -ad
              • richard.harding@sympatico.ca
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 3, 2002
                  Hi Pizzle Man!!
                  I will try and make it out to your place for 9:00. As the A-Man says...... woo-hoo!!
                  Richard

                  > From: "Mike Wirths" <mwirths@...>
                  > Date: 2002/06/03 Mon AM 09:10:01 EST
                  > To: <OAFs@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: Re: [OAFs] Re: oops

                • Richard Harding
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 3, 2002
                    Hi Pizzle!
                    I am a definate GO for tonight. I will be there at 9:00.
                    Be there or be square!!
                    Richard

> [...]
                    >through the woods and joins up with 628....I knew it!!" He jumped
                    >into his trusty minivan and tore back up the hill."
                    >>
                    >> Richard then committed the unforgivable sin that everyone who has
                    >ever watched a B-grade horror films understands NOT to do......he
                    >looked back!!!! There to his horror was the outline of a man....his
                    >crazy eyes standing out like lanterns on a stormy shore. In his hands
                    >were two massive cages....and in the cages mosquitoes...millions of
                    >them!!! Richard turned and stumbled to his faithful Ford
                    >wagon. "Start damn you!!!" he shouted, frantically turning the key in
                    >the ignition...which was unnecessary given the reality of fuel
                    >injection.
                    >>
                    >> Back up the hill he drove.....leaving Jeb standing in the middle of
                    >the road.....as if the reality of the situation had never entered

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor