Sky darkness and fall observing

  • Mike Wirths
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2001
      Hi everyone,

      With all the recent posts on the Manitoulin trip and talk of fall observing expeditions I thought it timely that I post a superb article I found a couple weeks back on the topic of sky darkness (this article by Brian Skiff expands on what Glen Lederew started to talk about at a recent RASC meeting). I'm not sure how much darker Manitoulin would be compared to the Algonquin site or even Cartys, given that all 3 sites are at roughly the same elevation and are all more or less quite remote. The Mew lake party sounds good but I am skeptical about how good the horizons would be given how densely forested the park is, from what I've heard the former ARO site probably has the biggest open area in the park. Also we have yet to see the Cartys night sky in even average conditions, all the nights have been abysmally hazy and or buggy so I am thinking that the closeness of this site makes it the most probable site for me to try next new moon, it may very well be that it is every bit as dark as Manitoulin and much closer to boot.
      I think that ultimatly we are hampered by several factors at all our dark sky sites, the 1st being that none have sufficient elevation to combat extinction and our northerly latitude makes skyglow a factor no matter how dark the site is, lastly the climate we have rarely gets dry enough to limit effects due to aerosols/ particulates/ humidity, so short of moving to the American southwest or the Atacama desert we'll have to make do with the sites at hand, anyhow enough rambling, and now for something completly different........... a man with a tape-recorder up his nose............no thats not it!!! yes yes I know the wesite URL!!!!!!
      http://www.astropix.com/HTML/L_STORY/SKYBRITE.HTM

      cheers

      Mike W

      PS Attilla if nobody wants to do solar sunday by all means observing at my place Sun night!