Re: M51

  • Mike Zeidler
    Message 1 of 45 , Apr 1 6:12 AM
      Albert, do you use the same data for both L? If so, any old shot can
      be reprocessed with this technique. Nice work btw.

      ziggy
      --- In OAFs@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Saikaley" <albert.saikaley@c...>
      wrote:
      > John,
      > I usually use the LRGB method (4 images, one unfiltered and 3
      > filtered). LLRGB uses the Lum twice as you compose the image. I'll
      > use whatever looks best. Here's Gendler's link that decribes the
      > process.
      >
      > http://www.robgendlerastropics.com/LLRGB.html
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Albert.
      >

      > --- In OAFs@yahoogroups.com, "John Thompson" <thompsjm@i...> wrote:
      > > Amazing shot, Albert. Even the TSP shot is not too shabby, but
      > the
      > > new one is amazing, especially as taken from a suburban location.
      > > Its as good an amateur shot as I have seen anywhere.
      > >
      > > Pardon my ignorance, but what is LLRGB? I know what LRGB is.
      > >
      > > rascaljohn
      > >

      > > --- In OAFs@yahoogroups.com, "Albert Saikaley"
      > <albert.saikaley@c...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Here's M51 from last nights adventure. I was looking to grab at
      > > > least 2 hrs of Lum and some more colour but dew lost me almost
      > an
      > > > hours worth of data (damn Mr. Murphy). I did however this time
      > > find
      > > > a good guide star and was able to use 5 minute sub-frames
      > combined
      > > > with my RGB's from the TSP last spring.
      > > >
      > > > Details: C11 f/5 ST-7E selfguided LLRGB 70:15:15:15
      > > >
      > > > http://www3.sympatico.ca/berts/pages/M51.htm
      > > >
      > > > Last years attempt from the TSP:
      > > >
      > > > http://www3.sympatico.ca/berts/images/M51TSP.jpg
      > > >
      > > > This comparison shows that skill is more important than dark
      > > skies.
      > > > Hopefully I'll get another chance to image under a dark sky! TSP
      > > > 2005!
      > > >
      > > > Cheers,
      > > > Albert.
    • Douglas B. George
      Message 45 of 45 , Apr 24 6:58 PM
        Albert Saikaley wrote:

        > Doug,
        > Very nicely done. It must be tough imaging at that FL. I wish this
        > one had 6.5 hrs of exposure. The seeing looks to have been excellent,
        > which night did you take this on? Also, the colour balance looks
        > bang on. Did you balance by using different exposure times, different
        > number of sub-frames but same exposure times or the same number of
        > frames/exposure times and "fix" everything later in MaxIm?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Albert.

        The images were taken on April 12 and 16. The 16th was best night of
        seeing I have had since putting up the observatory. I was getting long
        exposure FWHMs of about 2". The 12th wasn't quite as good but was
        definitely better than average.

        I took equal exposures in all frames, and then fixed it later in MaxIm.
        I should really be shooting double the blue frames. I'm still getting
        the feel for this particular equipment setup.

        I actually don't mind the extra focal length; it gives you "room to
        play" when processing, and on the really good nights you can push things.

        Doug