Crossing V-rail jig for Hudson type 2 points

  • woodcockdavid
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2 6:22 AM
      As entreated by Frank Sharp, I have added a file (pointblock.pdf) in the
      Files Section which describes how to make a quick and simple, but
      almost foolproof, jig for filing and soldering up the crossing V-rails
      for Hudson type 2 points (as per KBscale ex-RCL range). The technique
      could be extended to other points, although the jig would be more
      difficult to make for significantly shallower crossing angles.

      It took me well under an hour to make my own jig.

      David Woodcock
    • mick7ng
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 2 9:15 AM
        --- In O-14@yahoogroups.com, "woodcockdavid" <dandewoodcock@...> wrote:

        > As entreated by Frank Sharp, I have added a file (pointblock.pdf) in
        the
        > Files Section which describes how to make a quick and simple, but
        > almost foolproof, jig for filing and soldering up the crossing V-rails
        > for Hudson type 2 points (as per KBscale ex-RCL range). The technique
        > could be extended to other points, although the jig would be more
        > difficult to make for significantly shallower crossing angles.
        >
        > It took me well under an hour to make my own jig.
        >
        > David Woodcock

        David, for some reason this wont print, gets to 8%, then says it cant
        print. Tried all the printers at work, saved it, and tried printing,
        same thing goes to 8% then says it cant print? Any suggestions?

        Mike Lee
      • Trev
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 2 11:46 AM
          -

          --- In O-14@yahoogroups.com, "woodcockdavid" <dandewoodcock@...> wrote:

          > As entreated by Frank Sharp, I have added a file (pointblock.pdf) in
          the
          > Files Section which describes how to make a quick and simple, but
          > almost foolproof, jig for filing and soldering up the crossing V-rails
          > for Hudson type 2 points (as per KBscale ex-RCL range). The technique
          > could be extended to other points, although the jig would be more
          > difficult to make for significantly shallower crossing angles.
          >
          > It took me well under an hour to make my own jig.
          >
          > David Woodcock

          David, for some reason this wont print, gets to 8%, then says it cant print.
          Tried all the printers at work, saved it, and tried printing, same thing
          goes to 8% then says it cant print? Any suggestions?

          Mike Lee

          Printed ok for me

          Checked by AVG.
          17:37
        • Roy C Link
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 3 2:24 AM
            David's crossing nose cutting jig is a great idea.

            I recommend silver soldering the two pieces together. This gives a
            very strong joint - unlikely to fail if done properly. The colour of
            the silver solder (and its hardness) means a robust seamless nose can
            be obtained which, when polished up, provides excellent pick-up.
            Silver solder is also best for attaching the tiebar lugs to the
            tongue rails, ensuring they never come off.

            Many modellers fight shy of silver soldering but, if approached
            properly, is actually as easy (maybe easier) as soft soldering. Form
            a really clean and well fitting joint between the parts to be
            soldered, apply flux/silver solder powder, then heat up to cherry red
            as quickly as possible. When the silver solder 'flashes' to liquid,
            remove the heat. I generally use a gas torch but a decent resistance
            unit will get small bras or NS parts red hot easily.

            Cleaning up is probably the hard part - an acid solution is quickest
            and easiest. Ferric choride (used for PCB etching) works well.

            I make my own flux/silver solder mix by making fine filings from a
            stick of silver solder by rubbing on a medium cut flat file. These
            are mixed with borax powder, wetted to make a paste. Just smear the
            joint all round with this - it's important to cover the whole of the
            joint as the flux prevents oxidisation of the joint faces during
            heating and so ensures rapid flow of the solder into the joint.

            It all sounds more complex than it is. Silver soldering has many
            applications for modelling

            Roy C Link

            www.narrowgaugeandindustrial.com