RE: [O-14] Track Standards

  • David Hughes
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 1, 2007
      Hi Richard, I think they were standard sleepers cut in half and laid at 2ft 6in centres. I seem to recall some of the originals survived as steps in Chelfham. I'll have a browse through my Association mags and see what I find, but it could take me a few days so if any other L&B fans out there know off the top of their heads they might beat me to it.

      Cheers, David

      To: o-14@yahoogroups.comFrom: karlgarinmodels@...: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 23:52:51 +0000Subject: RE: [O-14] Track Standards

    • Martyn
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 2, 2007
        Keith Vingoe of the L&BR Trust has provided the following:

        Quoting from Narrow Gauge Railways Two Feet and Under - page 20 "The
        permanent way is laid with 40LB steel rails spiked and dogged to
        sleepers of 9 x 4 1/2 inches section." "Particulars kindly supplied
        by Frank W Chanter the engineer of the line."

        Paul Gower, another L&B historian, has said that the L&B was laid
        with the very odd size of 41 1/4 lb/yd rail (just coincidentally
        20kg/m!) in 9m lengths, suggesting an intended export destination.

        Another post on the L&B discussion group suggests that sleepers were
        4ft 6ins in length x 10 ins x 5 ins. Spacing was 2 ft 6 ins
        at centres with a 2ft gap at the rail joints.

        I think for modelling purposes at least, there is enough information
        to allow a fair representation of the track. Thanks to all those who
        have contributed to answering my question. Now all I have to do is
        build it!

        regards,

        Martyn