Bagnal kit

  • ringingrock2002
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
      I wonder would it be do-able to build the former Roy Link Bagnal to 14mm gauge as opposed to 16.5mm. I'm thinking spacers & axles or I have this nagging doubt that makes me think it's a fold up chassis????

      John.
    • Peter
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
        Built one to 16.5mm gauge then decided to 14mm it. It's not a fold-up chassis - spacers (bar profile to taste) and axles to suit. Think I may have had to tweak the smokebox saddle and a few other bits. I also built mine with compensation using a rocking front axle.

        --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "ringingrock2002" <john-selsey58@...> wrote:

        > I wonder would it be do-able to build the former Roy Link Bagnal to 14mm gauge as opposed to 16.5mm. I'm thinking spacers & axles or I have this nagging doubt that makes me think it's a fold up chassis????
        >
        > John.

      • Roy C Link
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
          Originally, when the kit was still in my hands, there was a 14mm option. I supplied turned down chassis spacers and axles to suit the narrower gauge. It was up to the builder to modify the etched keeper plate etc., and reduce the smokebox saddle casting. All quite simple if care was taken.

          Roy

          Sent from my iPad

          On 3 Jul 2013, at 23:16, "Peter" <peter@...> wrote:

          Built one to 16.5mm gauge then decided to 14mm it. It's not a fold-up chassis - spacers (bar profile to taste) and axles to suit. Think I may have had to tweak the smokebox saddle and a few other bits. I also built mine with compensation using a rocking front axle.

          --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "ringingrock2002" <john-selsey58@...> wrote:

          > I wonder would it be do-able to build the former Roy Link Bagnal to 14mm gauge as opposed to 16.5mm. I'm thinking spacers & axles or I have this nagging doubt that makes me think it's a fold up chassis????
          >
          > John.

        • George Morris
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
            I bought the kit from Wrightlines and it come with 2 sets of frame spaces and 2 smokebok saddles to allow either 16.5 or 14mm gauge.

            G!

            Originally, when the kit was still in my hands, there was a 14mm option. I supplied turned down chassis spacers and axles to suit the narrower gauge. It was up to the builder to modify the etched keeper plate etc., and reduce the smokebox saddle casting. All quite simple if care was taken.

            Roy

            Sent from my iPad

            On 3 Jul 2013, at 23:16, "Peter" <peter@...> wrote:

            Built one to 16.5mm gauge then decided to 14mm it. It's not a fold-up chassis - spacers (bar profile to taste) and axles to suit. Think I may have had to tweak the smokebox saddle and a few other bits. I also built mine with compensation using a rocking front axle.

            --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "ringingrock2002" <john-selsey58@...> wrote:

            > I wonder would it be do-able to build the former Roy Link Bagnal to 14mm gauge as opposed to 16.5mm. I'm thinking spacers & axles or I have this nagging doubt that makes me think it's a fold up chassis????
            >
            > John.

          • Halket family
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013

              I have a 14mm version of the KB Scale kit being built in deepest Wales at the moment. Can’t wait to see it, will be posting pics as soon as it arrives.

              Tim Halket

              I bought the kit from Wrightlines and it come with 2 sets of frame spaces and 2 smokebok saddles to allow either 16.5 or 14mm gauge.

              G!

              Originally, when the kit was still in my hands, there was a 14mm option. I supplied turned down chassis spacers and axles to suit the narrower gauge. It was up to the builder to modify the etched keeper plate etc., and reduce the smokebox saddle casting. All quite simple if care was taken.

              Roy

              Sent from my iPad

              On 3 Jul 2013, at 23:16, "Peter" <peter@...> wrote:

              Built one to 16.5mm gauge then decided to 14mm it. It's not a fold-up chassis - spacers (bar profile to taste) and axles to suit. Think I may have had to tweak the smokebox saddle and a few other bits. I also built mine with compensation using a rocking front axle.

              --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "ringingrock2002" <john-selsey58@...> wrote:

              > I wonder would it be do-able to build the former Roy Link Bagnal to 14mm gauge as opposed to 16.5mm. I'm thinking spacers & axles or I have this nagging doubt that makes me think it's a fold up chassis????
              >
              > John.

            • Roy C Link
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
                Which ex RCL kit are you having built to O14? KBscale now sell my Hudson Hudswell kit (which was designed for 14mm in the first place) and Wrightlines (now ABS) sell the Bagnall kit - which has gone through various forms in their charge. The Bagnall kit was my first for 7mm NG and was created primarily for 16.5mm gauge, this dating a couple of years before I started the 14mm gauge range, which the development of the Hudson-Hudswell straddled.

                Incidentally, the Bagnall kit was the first ever kit in 7mm scale narrow gauge that was both complete (apart from solder & paint) and contained correct pattern wheels etc., all to prototype. While it was followed shortly by the excellent Slater's kit for the Leek & Manifold locos, the earlier 7mm NG kits, Chivers Baldwin and Stephen Poole (latterly Peco) loco kits all used 4mm scale wheels or complete 4mm chassis.

                Roy

                Tel: 01766 530784
                10am-5pm Mon-Sat only

                website: www.rclpublications.co.uk

              • frank.j.sharp@btinternet.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
                  I have one of the Wrightlines version made to 14mm gauge. It has a 'Porterscap' gearbox, but you'd get something similar from High Level. For 14mm you need the slim version. The one I used is the compact I think, which in effect folds back on itself and needs 2mm axles. This loco uses the kit motor but runs slower. You'll have a job balancing it as it is cab heavy.

                  Underway is one of Roy's original etched version in 16.5 mm. I've used a High Level box in that, a something loader with an extension box.(I'm away at the moment so cannot check). That means I can get a bigger motor in the tank/boiler and a flywheel. The reduction is 108:1 so I expect good slow running. Because this is etched brass there isn't the same balance problem, but weight (lead) as much at the front as you can.

                  If you are in the 7mm NGA look back to my write up of the Peacock/Eagle/Dragon about a year ago, very similar method.

                  Frank, in Mull
                • George Morris
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
                    If you have a look in my album on the groups yahoo site you can see how I set up the High Level gearbox with a big Mashima in the boiler.

                    There is also room for a small flywheel in the smokebox.  I think it is the Loadhauler Compact (which is too wide for the frames and requires a small cut-out) and extension (which fits in the frames and connects to the rear axle

                    cheers, George!

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013

                      So sorry, written in haste. It is a Bagnall 0-4-0 saddle tank, therefore (I assume) the Wrightlines kit. Getting confused with the next build - that will be the Hudson Hudswell.