Re: 00-SF

  • John C
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 16, 2013
      I am aware that others (e.g. Gordon Gravett) had done this before but this was the first time I had seen a sort of official approach for it.

      Paul - I agree that you and I would go to the trouble of adopting a correct gauge, however I know many baulk at re-gauging, especially locos, but will attempt trackmaking. This gives them a chance to create such track which is more realistic and runs better, i.e. a step in the right direction.

      John
    • David Hughes
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 16, 2013
        As William Blake once said: "I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man's; I will not reason and compare: my business is to create."
        He must have been a railway modeller!
        David H

        To: O14@yahoogroups.com
        From: jclutterbuck2001@...
        Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 09:26:02 +0000
        Subject: [O14] 00-SF

        Forgive the non 2ft subject but I know there are many finescale modellers here who dabble in other gauges.

        Others may have known about 00-SF for a while but I have only come across it recently. I've not seen it mentioned on any of the other NG forums.

        As far as I can tell it is a more accurate 4mm standard which accommodates modern 00/HO RP25 wheelsets without modification. Basically it is EM gauge - 2mm so the gauge is 16.2mm. As with EM it will look and run much better than OO.

        What is interesting to us 7mm modellers is that it is also nigh on dead scale for 7mm narrow gauge in the same way that O14 is - I contend it is compatible with Scale7. And you may recall that O14 is also derived from EM.

        In my opinion if you are hand making track for O16.5 then it would make sense to use these standards, although you may want to use gauge widening (to 16.5) on sharp curves.

        There are a few resources available:

        http://00-sf.org.uk/
        http://tinyurl.com/cyke8gx (a RMweb post)