RE: [O14] Re: Toolbox

  • Frank Sharp
    Message 1 of 37 , Mar 3 6:42 PM

      Simon,

      Do you go to shows? Spend some time with the folk doing demos. They (and very occasionally that means me) are bored out of their minds as no-one comes to talk. You will see all sorts of different approaches to virtually the same problem. I watch Derek Mundy assembling signals with a bl**dy great 65 watt ERSA iron, I’d use a 50 or even a 25 watt maybe with a very small bit. We, and this will include you shortly, all have a way that suits our method of working.

      Roy talks about using a torch, I do but rarely. Oddly, and I do some O gauge, the only model I ever thought I couldn’t build without was Roy ’s diminutive Lister where most of the frame is made up of brass castings. Skamolex vermiculite block, set up with map pins, flux, drop on bits of solder as you would silver soldering, apply heat, watch solder run. I was amazed that it worked at all, but it did!

      Frank

      _,_._,___

    • Brian
      Message 37 of 37 , Mar 5 4:42 AM
        Its not really a mess, when I want to find something I search for a couple of hours, and give up, and go looking for something else and then eventually find what I was looking for in the first place!!!!......(:-))

        Brian
        Qld. Aust.