Baldwin Gas Mechanical

  • Paul Holmes
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
      The new Baldwin (ex WW1) kit from Neil Sayer has arrived in the post this morning. Mine will be built as Moelwyn on the Festiniog as per early preservation era. It looks to be superb with etched nickel chassis, brass and resin body and a nice selection of bags with brass castings wheels gearbox motor etc. All in all a great effort.
      Paul
    • Peter Tarver
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
        Thanks for t info Paul,

        I've been aware of this being on the cards for a while, and so keeping an eye on his website, which is still saying it (the website) is coming soon.
        http://www.neilsayer.co.uk/

        I expect the best way to get info is to contact him directly, but is this advertised anywhere as yet?

        Cheers,
        Pete

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012
          Not sure about adverts but I do know he has not sold as many as he expected or deserves to as it is a well thought out kit. Definitely get in touch before the first run is sold out!
          Paul
          --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tarver <peter_tarver@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for t info Paul,
          >
          > I've been aware of this being on the cards for a while, and so keeping an eye on his website, which is still saying it (the website) is coming soon.
          > http://www.neilsayer.co.uk/
          >
          > I expect the best way to get info is to contact him directly, but is this advertised anywhere as yet?
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Pete
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Andrew Young
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012

            On 2 Nov 2012, at 13:07, "Paul Holmes" <heatonwood@...> wrote:

            Not sure about adverts but I do know he has not sold as many as he expected or deserves to as it is a well thought out kit. Definitely get in touch before the first run is sold out!
            Paul

            I'd wondered what had happened to this kit having seen the trial etchesat NGSW in 2011 but not heard anything since, no announcements, no trade review, no web site. Maybe that could explain the less than expected sales....

            Hopefully, once people hear the kit is available then sales might pick up.

            Cheers,
            Andrew
          • Peter Tarver

              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2012

                On 2 Nov 2012, at 21:16, Peter Tarver <peter_tarver@...> wrote:

                To be fair, after Paul's second email I was in touch with Neil, and the first batch is already gone - second batch in around 2 weeks and taking (/taken) reservations.  The photo he sent looks excellent, and as to have sold a batch with no announcement is impressive!

                Definitely impressive and deserves to be so.

                Cheers,
                Andrew

              • adriangrayfr
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 5, 2012
                  Andy,

                  One cannot review a kit that isn't released, nor can one write about it much either!!
                  I reported the initial appearance of this kit in Narrow News with great excitement. Since then Neil has not been at any shows I have been to. From what h said to me at Shepton last year I expected him to launch the kit at the 2013 show. Instead, I was very pleasantly surprised to have a production model thrust into my hands at Swanley ten days ago!!
                  This was, quite literally, the morning after the night before when Neil had been burning instruction CDs and finishing the packing - Swanley purchasers will receive a small follow-up package containing the worm and wheel!!

                  My next Trade News reports it all - including my frustration at having forgotten to take my cheque book to Swanley!!

                  Adrian

                  --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, Andrew Young <andrewyoung@...> wrote:

                  > On 2 Nov 2012, at 13:07, "Paul Holmes" <heatonwood@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Not sure about adverts but I do know he has not sold as many as he expected or deserves to as it is a well thought out kit. Definitely get in touch before the first run is sold out!
                  > > Paul
                  > >

                  > I'd wondered what had happened to this kit having seen the trial etchesat NGSW in 2011 but not heard anything since, no announcements, no trade review, no web site. Maybe that could explain the less than expected sales....
                  > >

                  > Hopefully, once people hear the kit is available then sales might pick up.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Andrew

                • Paul Holmes
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 21 4:25 AM
                    Whilst collating the info for Moel Tryfan, and waiting for paint for the Leek and Manifold, I have made a start on Moelwyn as first running in the 1920s . Not in period for Dinas but could not resist the Neil Sayer kit.

                    Has anyone else in the group got/started/finished one yet? All looks promising so far with a lovely chassis built from fine etched nickel to represent the open framed construction. As to where the decoder and speaker will go I am as yet unsure.

                    I will post some pictures as the chassis progresses.

                    Paul
                  • John C
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 21 5:49 AM
                      Hi Paul,

                      Mine is still in its box - I'm finally a proper paid up member of the loads of unbuilt kits club!

                      I would be very interested to know what decoder and sounds you end up with. As for speakers at the recent Pewsey show (with Chelfham wot no O14) Mick M of the slim gauge circle showed me some Uhlenbrock speakers which were very thin (more like a slice of a sugar cube) and sounded really powerful - and this was on an HOn3 loco. Unfortunately I failed to take a note of the model no. and cant be sure which ones they were from their website: https://www.uhlenbrock.de/intern/index.htm

                      --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Holmes" <heatonwood@...> wrote:

                      > Whilst collating the info for Moel Tryfan, and waiting for paint for the Leek and Manifold, I have made a start on Moelwyn as first running in the 1920s . Not in period for Dinas but could not resist the Neil Sayer kit.
                      >
                      > Has anyone else in the group got/started/finished one yet? All looks promising so far with a lovely chassis built from fine etched nickel to represent the open framed construction. As to where the decoder and speaker will go I am as yet unsure.
                      >
                      > I will post some pictures as the chassis progresses.
                      >
                      > Paul

                    • Paul Holmes
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 21 11:36 AM
                        Hi John
                        I always said that I would never join that unmade kits club but membership sort of creeps up on you, I have found.
                        I shall probably use the same decoder as in the Harlech Castle model ie zimo preprogrammed by digitrains for an 03 shunter. Those speakers look interesting, not seen that make ever before.
                        Paul
                      • Simon Jones
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 21 3:01 PM
                          It's at the top of my wishlist, especially as I obtained an unmade Pechot bogie kit a few months ago 8-))

                          I've made good progress on a Nigel Lawton Simplex while on holiday - and just started a 'workbench' topic on NGRM-online to record it.

                          Cheers
                          Simon