O14 group, Review etc.

  • John C
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2012
      It was nice to see a plug for the O14 group in the latest issue (92) of the Review. Yet another superb edition - well done Bob and Roy. I note the editorial opined that many Review readers were do-ers rather than box-openers. I'm sure the same could be said about the members of this fine group too.

      I would also like to thank our webmaster Steve who I know fights weekly battles defending our website against the worst of the cyber world. It's difficult to understand why they should want to attack our little elysian fields, but I wish they wouldn't.

      We could do with more contributions on the website. I am happy do the honours if anyone wants to send me the photos and any supporting words. Similarly for any up and coming events - I believe the End of the Line by Giles Favell is appearing at ExPong this October. Again a layout that deserves featuring on the website.

      I know it's been mooted in the past but should we allow other finescale narrow gauges - perhaps staying strictly to 7mm scale? E.g. Paul's latest foray into the wonderful world of the L&MLR on 17.5mm gauge. Paul - you will also find your standard gauge needs to be Scale7 as O finescale wagons don't fit on the Dorset Kits transporters. Thoughts please?

      John
    • cdimstull
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 6, 2012
        I just did an entry about O14 in my new blog at http://wp.me/p2JNRW-u.

        I will be doing more on O14 but not for a while as I am on a schedule for completion of a display layout.

        Marshall Stull
        Tecumseh, MI

        --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "John C" <jclutterbuck2001@...> wrote:

        > It was nice to see a plug for the O14 group in the latest issue (92) of the Review. Yet another superb edition - well done Bob and Roy. I note the editorial opined that many Review readers were do-ers rather than box-openers. I'm sure the same could be said about the members of this fine group too.
        >
        > I would also like to thank our webmaster Steve who I know fights weekly battles defending our website against the worst of the cyber world. It's difficult to understand why they should want to attack our little elysian fields, but I wish they wouldn't.
        >
        > We could do with more contributions on the website. I am happy do the honours if anyone wants to send me the photos and any supporting words. Similarly for any up and coming events - I believe the End of the Line by Giles Favell is appearing at ExPong this October. Again a layout that deserves featuring on the website.
        >
        > I know it's been mooted in the past but should we allow other finescale narrow gauges - perhaps staying strictly to 7mm scale? E.g. Paul's latest foray into the wonderful world of the L&MLR on 17.5mm gauge. Paul - you will also find your standard gauge needs to be Scale7 as O finescale wagons don't fit on the Dorset Kits transporters. Thoughts please?
        >
        > John

      • Halket family
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 7, 2012

          Hi Marshall

          That looks like a great start. Do you have a trackplan in mind yet? Surely you’re not going to do the entire siteplan that you have drawn – that would be quite an undertaking!

          Best of luck with it, I too love my o14 modelling.

          Tim

          Tim Halket

          01787 280835

          www.timhalket.com

          follow me on twitter @timhalket

          I will be doing more on O14 but not for a while as I am on a schedule for completion of a display layout.

          Marshall Stull
          Tecumseh , MI

          --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "John C" <jclutterbuck2001@...> wrote:

          > It was nice to see a plug for the O14 group in the latest issue (92) of
          the Review. Yet another superb edition - well done Bob and Roy. I note the editorial opined that many Review readers were do-ers rather than box-openers. I'm sure the same could be said about the members of this fine group too.

          > I would also like to thank our webmaster Steve who I know fights weekly
          battles defending our website against the worst of the cyber world. It's difficult to understand why they should want to attack our little elysian fields, but I wish they wouldn't.

          > We could do with more contributions on the website. I am happy do the
          honours if anyone wants to send me the photos and any supporting words. Similarly for any up and coming events - I believe the End of the Line by Giles Favell is appearing at ExPong this October. Again a layout that deserves featuring on the website.

          > I know it's been mooted in the past but should we allow other finescale
          narrow gauges - perhaps staying strictly to 7mm scale? E.g. Paul's latest foray into the wonderful world of the L&MLR on 17.5mm gauge. Paul - you will also find your standard gauge needs to be Scale7 as O finescale wagons don't fit on the Dorset Kits transporters. Thoughts please?

          > John

        • cdimstull
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 7, 2012

            The track work required is a bit complex and I have not made turnouts by hand before. If I can do it, the whole thing is only about 11" x 13" in O scale.

            A detailed look at the Cupola building and how it operated can be found at http://www.coppercountryexplorer.com/2009/11/the-cupola-building-p1/

            Marshall Stull
            Tecumseh, MI

            --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "Halket family" <halketfamily@...> wrote:

            > Hi Marshall
            >

            > That looks like a great start. Do you have a trackplan in mind yet? Surely
            > you're not going to do the entire siteplan that you have drawn - that would
            > be quite an undertaking!
            >

            > Best of luck with it, I too love my o14 modelling.
            >

            > Tim
            >

            > Tim Halket
            >
            > 01787 280835
            >
            > www.timhalket.com
            >
            > follow me on twitter @timhalket

          • George Morris
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 7, 2012
              Hi Marshall,  Your project looks very interesting.  I look forward to following your progress!

              With regards to John's original question I think this site should be kept for O14, that is after all what it says on the label!  I have nothing against other scale/gauge combination, indeed I model in British O gauge finescale (1:43.5 on 32mm gauge track) and a rather esoteric Swedish combination of Continental O scale (1:45) on 19.8mm gauge track (representing the uniquely Swedish 891mm gauge, or 3 Swedish foot gauge prototype).  By all means refer to, cross reference with and generally encourage other scale/gauge combinations, but I think this site should remain the home of O scale (British version) on 14mm gauge track.

              best regards from Sweden, George!

              meanwhile ......

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                Hi Marshall.

                That's a nice blog entry you have there and a fascinating project. That dual gauge trackwork arrangement should make a very interesting layout and will be quite a challenge especially if you've not made pointwork before.

                I assume you will be using soldered PCB construction. If so then I suggest using minimal sleepering and soldering at the start and then perform extensive manual and powered running trials. Such minimal sleepering makes it far easier to tweak the gauge or replace defective frogs etc. to correct any issues uncovered. Once it all works reliably you can add in any remaining sleepers.

                Please let us know how it progresses.

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                  I just did my first turnout last night. It was a code 55 HO stub switch done 100% by hand. I even made my own jigs. I found it very enjoyable and was surprised how well it turned out. I am now more confident that I could do one in O14 as well.

                  I was thinking of trying the KBScale first. When I super impose the KBSCale instructions over the drawing it appears to be a near perfect match.

                  I will also try PCB construction eventually. Right now i am still in the planning playing stage.

                  The biggest issue I have with this plan is that the track went over the fuel bunkers. I have not been able to ascertain what type of sleepers and flooring were used. this will make a difference on my final choice of sleeper. I want to be as prototypical looking as possible.

                  Marshall

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 8, 2012
                    Hi Marshall,

                    I had perhaps incorrectly assumed all the track would be buried in concrete etc. hence the thought about using PCB. Of course if the sleepers were visible then you should consider appropriate scale sleepers such as real wood (coffee stirrers) or the excellent KBscale products.

                    --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "cdimstull" <jentel@...> wrote:

                    > I just did my first turnout last night. It was a code 55 HO stub switch done 100% by hand. I even made my own jigs. I found it very enjoyable and was surprised how well it turned out. I am now more confident that I could do one in O14 as well.
                    >
                    > I was thinking of trying the KBScale first. When I super impose the KBSCale instructions over the drawing it appears to be a near perfect match.
                    >
                    > I will also try PCB construction eventually. Right now i am still in the planning playing stage.
                    >
                    > The biggest issue I have with this plan is that the track went over the fuel bunkers. I have not been able to ascertain what type of sleepers and flooring were used. this will make a difference on my final choice of sleeper. I want to be as prototypical looking as possible.
                    >
                    > Marshall
                  • David John
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
                      Hi Guys

                      There was a thread some time ago regarding old slate buildings.  I have just found this site which has loads and loads of stuff in addition to slate quarries; industrial, military and much, much more.  Beware you will be drawn into all sorts of unusal pleases!

                      Cheers

                      David
                    • John C
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
                        Hi David

                        Thanks for this - as you say a very interesting site.

                        I think it was post 5113 that you were referring to which has a link to Aditnow: http://www.aditnow.co.uk/

                        There is also this site I had forgotten about for a while: http://www.mine-explorer.co.uk/

                        BTW - that was a nice write up on your EDM Hunslets in Narrow Lines. It would be nice to see them in the metal one day - an outing on the PLR at Expong 2014 perhaps :)

                        John

                        --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, David John <davidphillipjohn@...> wrote:

                        > There was a thread some time ago regarding old slate buildings.  I have just found this site which has loads and loads of stuff in addition to slate quarries; industrial, military and much, much more.  Beware you will be drawn into all sorts of unusal pleases!
                        >
                        > http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/index.php

                      • David John
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 5, 2012
                          Hi John

                          Absolutely, and you are always welcome to come to Model Rail 2013 in Glasgow to see them.  (It is about half-way between us!)