Re: [O14] Re: Turnouts/Radius

  • David John
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2012
      Hi Derek

      I had always believed the minimum radius was just over twice the wheelbase of the vehicle.  Some 35 to 40 years ago Colin Binnie and I were experimenting to find the minimum radius in 16mm scale, after Dave Shotter's 009 De Winton was demonstrated running round the top of a milk bottle!  I won't go into the planned build, but suffice it to say Colin cut a test track using the faceplate of his lathe at 4ins (inside rail) he would have provided gauge-widening (probably calculated using some arcane mathematical formula, 'cos he was clever like that). Just for fun we then put a Lima 4w bogie on it ... and it ran with no problem at all.  The Lima chassis had a wheelbase of 64mm and 4 ins is approx 100mm on 32mm (or thereabouts) track.  Over the ensuing beers we decided there was no point in gatting any tighter!

      I can see no reason why this could not translate to pointwork as long as everything was perfect, and I am not using the term 'perfect' lightly. All the factors Frank listed (and more) are critical, four wheel chassis only and at very low speed.

      Good luck

      David