Ffestiniog Funkey wheel diameter

  • Mark Noble
    Message 1 of 18 , May 6, 2012
      Dear All,

      Can anyone tell me the wheel diameter of the Ffestinog's Funkey diesel 'Vale of Ffestiniog'? I'm just speccing up a Bullant chassis. I can find the bogie wheelbase and bogie centres but can't seem to find much else. If anyone has access to a drawing that would be most useful too.

      Cheers,

      Mark.
    • vincent_wesstein
      Message 2 of 18 , May 6, 2012
        --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Noble" <mark_noble@...> wrote:
        > Can anyone tell me the wheel diameter of the Ffestinog's Funkey
        > diesel 'Vale of Ffestiniog'? I'm just speccing up a Bullant chassis.
        > I can find the bogie wheelbase and bogie centres but can't seem to
        > find much else. If anyone has access to a drawing that would be
        > most useful too.

        Hello Mark,

        That was more or less exactly the same question I asked over on the WHR e-group some time back. I did get a scale drawing of the WHR Funkey, but for copyright reasons I can't share it (very frustrating indeed!). Anyway, back then the topic has been discussed and as I measured it from the drawing it was something like 800 mm diameter. But "those who know" said it was much smaller, being worn out over the years.

        At the time I was also eyeing up a Hollywood Foundry drive system, but as the WHR Funkey I have is in 7 mm scale Geoff advised me not to take one of his mechanisms as their mechanical strength isn't really suited for that scale. Someone suggested modifying a Class 24 chassis, but as I was quite disillusioned by now I left it there...

        However, with EDM bringing some vital parts onto the market soon (ex-SAR bogies!) and the body-kit offerings of Slimrails I recently found, I may restart again... But if you decide to race me...

        You'd win hands down ;-P (even when I have the Worsley Works 'flat pack' kit in house ;-))

        Regards, Vincent Wesstein
        the Netherlands

        PS: link for Slimrails: http://www.slimrails.co.uk Part of the Chivers "empire" ;-)
      • Brian
        Message 3 of 18 , May 6, 2012
          Mark,
          I can't help you with the wheel diameter, however if you want a good
          reliable drive system then look at using either NSWL Mod#4 gearboxes, or
          better still use the North Yard 35:1 gearboxes, which have a simular
          configuration to the NSWL Mod#4, by using the North yard boxes you save
          having to have a multiple step down at the motor, if you look at the photos
          of a DH I built, you can see the bogies are built so the sideframes are
          equalized, this is necessary if you are going to run a rigid wheelbase
          greater then 40mm. which means all of the wheels remain in contact with the
          rails at all times, you will also notice the bogies in the photos have
          working brake blocks, these blocks are the electrical pick-ups and also help
          to keep the wheels clean, in the drawings you will see the drive train
          layout, and the use of silicon rubber tubing as the connections on the drive
          shafts, this gives you a very smooth quite drive system. By using this type
          of drive system you don't have gear towers protruding into the cab area, and
          the whole drive system is very quite.
          <http://northyard.co.nz/>
          Brian
          Qld. Aust.
          > Can anyone tell me the wheel diameter of the Ffestinog's Funkey diesel
          > 'Vale of Ffestiniog'? I'm just speccing up a Bullant chassis. I can find
          > the bogie wheelbase and bogie centres but can't seem to find much else. If
          > anyone has access to a drawing that would be most useful too.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Mark.

          > -----
          > No virus found in this message.

        • Brian
          Message 4 of 18 , May 6, 2012
            Mark,
            I also forgot to mention there is a drawing of the Eimco 2ft gauge cane loco
            [which I drive] these loco's were built in Australia under license from
            Professional Engineering of Zimbabwe.
            Brian
            Qld. Aust.

            Message 5 of 18 , May 7, 2012
              Hi Vincent,

              Thanks - I estimated 2' diameter, there are some photographs of the WHR Funkey with its wheels and final drive removed having just been refurbished on the late Ben Fisher's website, the tyres look very new on that photograph.

              Good information about the Hollywood Foundry drive system, my model will be 7mm / foot and 14mm gauge as well.

              My Visa debit card is well known to Paul Martin at EDM as well, I'm about 80 - 90% the way through building Blanche in modern day form and I've just ordered two SAR 'B's and a 'DZ' wagon. Hopefully Blanche will be finished before they arrive!

              Trust me, there will be no race, it's taken two years to build Blanche!

              All the best,

              Mark.

              Message 6 of 18 , May 7, 2012
                Hi Brian,

                Like your DH, and thanks for the advice, thinking about it, using North Yard gear boxes will probably bring the drive shafts into a similar position as the real thing. Like the brake block as pick ups idea as well.

                All the best,

                Mark.

                Message 7 of 18 , May 7, 2012
                  Mark,
                  As you can see with the DH, I used the NSWL 14:1 gearboxes, which meant I
                  had to have a double reduction on the motor step down drive, by using the
                  North Yard boxes you get 35:1 at the gearbox meaning you only need to have a
                  single step reduction on the motor.
                  Brian
                  Qld. Aust.

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 7, 2012
                    Just for the record, Mark a lot of 2ft. gauge locos use 28" dia. wheels, you
                    may well find that is the dia. of the Funkey wheels.
                    Brian
                    Qld. Aust.

                  • baldopeter@netscape.net
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 7, 2012
                      The last time I measured a Funkey wheelset, probably about three years
                      when VofF was being rebuilt after the last gearbox overhaul, I
                      estimated the dia at 635mm, at 1570mm centres.

                      Also of note is when these wheelsets arrived at the FR the tyres were
                      reduced in width, I think from 5" to 4 1/2", sorry to mix units.

                      If I were modelling these bogies I would use 14mm wheels, and would
                      look at the Branchlines MB.35 bogie kit, which would be pretty close.

                      I am not sure if Steve Holland is on this list, but he made a nice VofF
                      in plasticard a couple of years ago, not sure how it was powered.

                      Regards

                      Peter

> [...]
                      >> said it was much smaller, being worn out over the years.
                      >>
                      >> At the time I was also eyeing up a Hollywood Foundry drive system,
                      but as
                      >> the WHR Funkey I have is in 7 mm scale Geoff advised me not to take
                      one
                      >> of his mechanisms as their mechanical strength isn't really suited
                      for
                      >> that scale. Someone suggested modifying a Class 24 chassis, but as I
                      was
                      >> quite disillusioned by now I left it there...
                      >>
                      >> However, with EDM bringing some vital parts onto the market soon
                      (ex-SAR
                      >> bogies!) and the body-kit offerings of Slimrails I recently found, I
                      may
                      >> restart again... But if you decide to race me...
                      >>
                      >> You'd win hands down ;-P (even when I have the Worsley Works 'flat

                      05/06/12

                    • Roy C Link
                      Message 10 of 18 , May 7, 2012
                        Steve Holland's superb model of the FR 'Vale of Ffestiniog' was described in an article - NG&IRM REVIEW, issue 49. He used a much modified HO scale 'Model Power' Alco RS3 chassis, with a Mashima motor replacing the original, plus a change of wheels. He used the drawings published in issue 36 of the same magazine - which were produced by Steve Coulson, who did all the design work on the real loco.

                        Steve used 4mm scale EM profile 4ft 1inch tender wheels on his model - which remains the best interpretation in O14 that I have seen so far.

                        Roy C Link

                        Tel: 01766 530784
                        10am-5pm Mon-Sat only

                        website: www.rclpublications.co.uk

                      • David Woodcock
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 7, 2012
                          Vincent Wesstein wrote:

                          "At the time I was also eyeing up a Hollywood Foundry drive system, but as the WHR Funkey I have is in 7 mm scale Geoff advised me not to take one of his mechanisms as their mechanical strength isn't really suited for that scale."

                          I am really surprised that Geoff thought that his mechanisms weren't up to powering a 7mm scale narrow gauge loco.

                          I normally model industrial prototypes in O14 and in almost every respect - and certainly power requirements - they are more akin to 2mm FS than 7mm models. Even something larger like a Funkey (still a nominal 2ft gauge prototype) should be no more than the equivalent of a "normal" 4mm model.

                          Perhaps Geoff was thinking of models in 7mm scale of southern hemisphere 3ft 6in gauge locos where the prototypes were often comparable in size to UK standard gauge ones - and obviously these do need motors and gears to suit.

                          David Woodcock
                        • Stephen Holland
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 7, 2012
                            Roy,

                            You have beaten me to it, as I was just about to dig out the Review to reply.
                            If anyone else is thinking of following the same route as I did then add plenty of weight inside the body - my model will not pull the skin off a rice pudding. The Model Power chassis has a double start worm, so it is rather rapid with the larger wheels. I really must get around to finding some replacements one day.

                            Regards

                            Steve

                          • ianj0trains
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 7, 2012
                              Hi all,

                              I would have to agree that it's possible there was some misunderstanding here of what the prototype was and the size train the model was likely to haul. I'm quite positive that Geoff could supply a power unit that would be more than adequate for an O14 Funkey.

                              Cheers

                              Ian J

                              --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, David Woodcock <dandewoodcock@...> wrote:

                              > Vincent Wesstein wrote:
                              >
                              > "At the time I was also eyeing up a Hollywood Foundry drive system,
                              > but as the WHR Funkey I have is in 7 mm scale Geoff advised me not to
                              > take one of his mechanisms as their mechanical strength isn't really
                              > suited for that scale."
                              >
                              > I am really surprised that Geoff thought that his mechanisms weren't
                              > up to powering a 7mm scale narrow gauge loco.
                              >
                              > I normally model industrial prototypes in O14 and in almost every
                              > respect - and certainly power requirements - they are more akin to 2mm
                              > FS than 7mm models. Even something larger like a Funkey (still a
                              > nominal 2ft gauge prototype) should be no more than the equivalent of
                              > a "normal" 4mm model.
                              >
                              > Perhaps Geoff was thinking of models in 7mm scale of southern
                              > hemisphere 3ft 6in gauge locos where the prototypes were often
                              > comparable in size to UK standard gauge ones - and obviously these do
                              > need motors and gears to suit.
                              >
                              > David Woodcock

                            • David John
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 8, 2012
                                Hi Guys

                                Attached photo of my 014 version of "Vale" built from a Worsley Works etch by Brian Love.

                                It is powered by a BullAnt "Mechanism Kit" with final belt drive: it is a beautiful runner, slow, powerful and smooth.

                                Brian made masters for the bogie sides which he has passed on to either Phil at Port Wynnstay or Alan at Worsley Works - just in case other modellers were interested.

                                The 'orrible Bemo couplers have now been replaced by Zamzoodled choppers.  Superb.

                                Any questions please ask, although I am on holiday from tomorrow and Brian goes away just as I return.

                                Cheers

                                David

                                Message 15 of 18 , May 8, 2012
                                  What you need is NSWL wheels for S scale "S 36" /110 Pointed 3/32" x 1.280"
                                  axle 27718-4 37718-4"

                                  Brian
                                  Qld. Aust.
                                  You have beaten me to it, as I was just about to dig out the Review to
                                  reply.
                                  If anyone else is thinking of following the same route as I did then add
                                  plenty of weight inside the body - my model will not pull the skin off a
                                  rice pudding. The Model Power chassis has a double start worm, so it is
                                  rather rapid with the larger wheels. I really must get around to finding
                                  some replacements one day.

                                  Regards

                                  Steve

                                  On 7 May 2012, at 12:58, Roy C Link wrote:

                                  > Steve Holland's superb model of the FR 'Vale of Ffestiniog' was described
                                  > in an article - NG&IRM REVIEW, issue 49. He used a much modified HO scale
                                  > 'Model Power' Alco RS3 chassis, with a Mashima motor replacing the
                                  > original, plus a change of wheels. He used the drawings published in issue
                                  > 36 of the same magazine - which were produced by Steve Coulson, who did
                                  > all the design work on the real loco.
                                  >

                                  > Steve used 4mm scale EM profile 4ft 1inch tender wheels on his model -
                                  > which remains the best interpretation in O14 that I have seen so far.
                                  >
                                  > Roy C Link
                                  >
                                  > Tel: 01766 530784
                                  > 10am-5pm Mon-Sat only
                                  >
                                  > website: www.rclpublications.co.uk
                                  >
                                  > On 7 May 2012, at 09:36, baldopeter@... wrote:
                                  >

                                  >> The last time I measured a Funkey wheelset, probably about three years
                                  >> when VofF was being rebuilt after the last gearbox overhaul, I
                                  >> estimated the dia at 635mm, at 1570mm centres.
                                  >>
                                  >> Also of note is when these wheelsets arrived at the FR the tyres were
                                  >> reduced in width, I think from 5" to 4 1/2", sorry to mix units.
                                  >>
                                  >> If I were modelling these bogies I would use 14mm wheels, and would
                                  >> look at the Branchlines MB.35 bogie kit, which would be pretty close.
                                  >>
                                  >> I am not sure if Steve Holland is on this list, but he made a nice VofF
                                  >> in plasticard a couple of years ago, not sure how it was powered.
                                  >>
                                  >> Regards
                                  >>
                                  >> Peter

                                  -----
                                  No virus found in this message.
                                • Phil Traxson
                                  Message 16 of 18 , May 8, 2012

                                    Masters for the bogie sides are not with me so must be with Alan at Worsley Works.

                                    Phil T.

                                    Port Wynnstay Models

                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 8, 2012
                                        Hi David,

                                        Very nice, thanks for sharing. I've also fitted Zamzoodled couplers to my model of Blanche, these have undoubtedly become my coupler of choice, highly recommended.

                                        Thanks to all on the very interesting feedback.

                                        All the best,

                                        Mark.