Re: [O14] Talyllyn track in 0-16

  • Andrew Young
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 2, 2012
      Paul,

      Very nice! The pre-preservation TR trackwork was certainly a bit of an odd ball arrangement. My only criticism for TR track of the period is that the railhead isn't worn enough... ;-)

      Looking forward to seeing the model when completed.

      Unfortunately I didn't get chance for any modelling over the festive season, though perhaps a day spent driving ex Corris No 3 on New Year's Eve could be counted as research?!!

      Cheers,
      Andrew

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 30 Dec 2011, at 11:03, "Paul Holmes" <heatonwood@...> wrote:

      My first efforts in 0-16 have emerged. It's not 0-16.5 nor 0-14 as TR rails were 2'3" and the width of the ganger's thumb - hence 16mm gauge. This actually tightens up the slop in 00 standards as I am keeping the back to back at 14.5mm. Some photos of Dolgoch viaduct track are now in the photos section under 'Dolgoch'. I have used the new American track spikes as reviewed in a recent 'Review' and also C+L chairs with Kalgarin rail and sleepers - all mounted on a Templot track plan.

      TR track was most unusual; one sleeper chaired then two sleepers spiked. The spikes are from www.proto87.com and are very easy to use and about right for 7mm narrow gauge. The C+L chairs need to be trimmed down on the inner face or the flanges hit. The track was initially spiked - two sleepers then leave a blank - then the chairs added by splitting them and gluing with solvent.

      Not 014, but not 016.5 either so posted here in the interest of fimescale!! Paul

      This email has been scanned by Westcoastcloud.
      http://www.westcoastcloud.com

      This email has been scanned by Westcoastcloud.
      http://www.westcoastcloud.com

    • Paul Holmes
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 2, 2012
        I have never seen such odd track anywhere! As to the wear and the dreadful rail joints, if modelled correctly nothing would stay on the track! Even P4 compensation would not be enough.... Paul

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 2, 2012
          True, it would run as (un)reliably as the prototype did in those days...!

          Getting back onto O14 topics, picked up a copy of the Jan issue of 'Railway Bylines' magazine in Smith's reading room today. There's a photo article on Springfield Tileries near Stoke-on-Trent, some delightful photos of 2ft gauge Lister & Ruston locos in very leafy surroundings.

          Cheers,
          Andrew

          Sent from my iPhone