PD Hancock, deceased

  • Taylor, David
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011

      Dear All

      The sad news of the death of PD Hancock is circulating on the internet.

      Most of us will be very familiar with PD Hancock, but for some of our younger members, he was a pioneer of small scale narrow gauge modelling, and his Craig & Mertonford layout made regular appearances in the pages of the magazines in the 1960s.

      His book about his modelling experiences “Narrow Gauge Adventure” published by Peco remains a classic on the subject, and an inspirational read.

      I’m sure many on this list will have been inspired by him.

      The message I received is below.

      David Taylor

      It is with regret that I have to inform you that Philip passed away, peacefully, on 28th June, 2011 at Belgrave Lodge Nursing Home, Edinburgh.

      Philip was in no pain and just slept away.

      Philip's funeral will be held on Friday 8th July in Edinburgh.

      Kind regards

    • adriangrayfr
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 1, 2011
        David,

        That is sad news but, by golly, he must have had a jolly good innings.
        You are right when you describe his writing as inspirational, it certainly started me along narrow lines, along with the Aire Valley articles and David Mander's Stronalacher Saga (co-written by Paul Towers). Who else remembers Mike Sharman's 009 oddities from the same era?

        Happy Days

        Adrian

        --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "Taylor, David" <DLTaylor@...> wrote:

        > Dear All
        >
        > The sad news of the death of PD Hancock is circulating on the internet.
        > Most of us will be very familiar with PD Hancock, but for some of our younger members, he was a pioneer of small scale narrow gauge modelling, and his Craig & Mertonford layout made regular appearances in the pages of the magazines in the 1960s.
        > His book about his modelling experiences "Narrow Gauge Adventure" published by Peco remains a classic on the subject, and an inspirational read.
        > I'm sure many on this list will have been inspired by him.
        > The message I received is below.
        >
        > David Taylor
        >

        > It is with regret that I have to inform you that Philip passed away, peacefully, on 28th June, 2011 at Belgrave Lodge Nursing Home, Edinburgh.
        >
        > Philip was in no pain and just slept away.
        >
        > Philip's funeral will be held on Friday 8th July in Edinburgh.
        >
        > Kind regards
        > ________________________________

      • Ola Sj√∂blom
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2011
          I do remember the Wunce Only locos. I have a very bad copy of an article in
          Railway modeller (the copier at my library was not good in the early
          1970ies)
          Anyone knows where I can find good pictures? I am always on the lookout for
          pictures and descriptions of things "Weird and Wonderful"

          OLa

          Who else remembers Mike Sharman's 009 oddities from the same era?

          > Happy Days
          >
          > Adrian
        • Justin Kahn
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 7, 2011
            Inspirational, indeed.  I was fascinated by the occasional photo of the C&M, mostly in RMC, in the 1950's, which was probably my first exposure to the British
            light railway.  I bought a copy of the Peco title (while stationed in Japan, of all places--but that was before the internet) and never regretted it (although I probably
            paid a considerable premium under the circumstances).

            I had come across the Mike Sharman name without ever connecting it with P. D. Hancock, although probably most British modelers were aware it was his pseudonym.
            Judging by my own first acquaintance, and having only just attained my three-score and ten, he must have been well into his eighties.  His memory will continue
            wherever model railways are found.

            Jace Kahn, General Manager Ceres and Canisteo RR Co.

            > That is sad news but, by golly, he must have had a jolly good innings.
            > You are right when you describe his writing as inspirational, it certainly started me along narrow lines, along with the Aire Valley articles and David Mander's Stronalacher Saga (co-written by Paul Towers). Who else remembers Mike Sharman's 009 oddities from the same era?
            > Adrian
            >

            > > The sad news of the death of PD Hancock is circulating on the internet.
            > > Most of us will be very familiar with PD Hancock, but for some of our younger members, he was a pioneer of small scale narrow gauge modelling, and his Craig & Mertonford layout made regular appearances in the pages of the magazines in the 1960s.
            > > His book about his modelling experiences "Narrow Gauge Adventure" published by Peco remains a classic on the subject, and an inspirational read.
            > > I'm sure many on this list will have been inspired by him.
            > > The message I received is below.
            > > David Taylor
            > >
            > > It is with regret that I have to inform you that Philip passed away, peacefully, on 28th June, 2011 at Belgrave Lodge Nursing Home, Edinburgh.
            > >
            > > Philip was in no pain and just slept away.
            > >
            > > Philip's funeral will be held on Friday 8th July in Edinburgh.

          • Brian Rumary
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 9, 2011
              Justin Kahn wrote:

              > I had come across the Mike Sharman name without ever connecting it with P. D. Hancock, although
              probably most British modelers were aware it was his pseudonym.

              Are you sure about this? I believe that P.D. Hancock came from Edinburgh, while Mike Sharman was
              from southern England. I also think that Mike is (was?) quite a few years younger.

              Brian Rumary, England
            • daveandbec2001
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 10, 2011
                Quite so, and Mike is still very much with us.

                --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, Brian Rumary <brian@...> wrote:

                > Justin Kahn wrote:
                >
                > > I had come across the Mike Sharman name without ever connecting it with P. D. Hancock, although
                > probably most British modelers were aware it was his pseudonym.
                >
                > Are you sure about this? I believe that P.D. Hancock came from Edinburgh, while Mike Sharman was
                > from southern England. I also think that Mike is (was?) quite a few years younger.
                >
                > Brian Rumary, England

              • Justin Kahn
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 18, 2011
                  I labored under that assumption because someone who posted the original information claimed that was the case (which was news to me).

                  Jace Kahn, General Manager Ceres and Canisteo RR Co.

                  > To: O14@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: brian@...
                  > Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 18:14:02 +0100
                  > Subject: Re: [O14] PD Hancock, deceased
                  >
                  > Justin Kahn wrote:
                  >
                  > > I had come across the Mike Sharman name without ever connecting it with P. D. Hancock, although
                  > probably most British modelers were aware it was his pseudonym.
                  >
                  > Are you sure about this? I believe that P.D. Hancock came from Edinburgh, while Mike Sharman was
                  > from southern England. I also think that Mike is (was?) quite a few years younger.
                  >
                  > Brian Rumary, England

                  > <*> Your email settings:
                  > Individual Email | Traditional
                  >
                  > <*> To change settings online go to:
                  > (Yahoo! ID required)
                  >
                  > <*> To change settings via email:
                  > O14-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  > O14-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • adriangrayfr
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 19, 2011
                    It was me that mentioned Mike Sharman as part of this thread on this Group and I certainly did NOT claim that he and PDH were one and the same.
                    Look again, please, Justin.
                    I mentioned the inspirational nature of PDH's writing and cited a few other authoers and layouts that had similarly inspired me, including Mike's wierd and wonderful 009 models - as it happens I got to know Mike personally some years later, but that is another story!

                    Adrian