Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: O14 at Burton on Trent 7th May

Expand Messages
  • John C
    A quick reminder about the O14 presence at the 7mm NGA Expo/AGM tomorrow. Any O14 members please say hello to David and myself on our demo table and Adrian
    Message 1 of 21 , May 6, 2011
    • 0 Attachment
      A quick reminder about the O14 presence at the 7mm NGA Expo/AGM tomorrow. Any O14 members please say hello to David and myself on our demo table and Adrian Coombes who is exhibiting Yarpole.

      Fingers crossed I'll be showing off DCC control of my new chopper couplings.

      Regards
      John
    • Martyn
      DCC control chopper couplings: Unfortunately I won t be there to see them in the flesh so to speak, but I do hope you post a video of that soon! are you
      Message 2 of 21 , May 6, 2011
      • 0 Attachment
        DCC control chopper couplings: Unfortunately I won't be there to see them "in the flesh" so to speak, but I do hope you post a video of that soon! are you using "memory wire"?

        regards,

        Martyn


        --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "John C" <jclutterbuck2001@...> wrote:
        >
        > A quick reminder about the O14 presence at the 7mm NGA Expo/AGM tomorrow. Any O14 members please say hello to David and myself on our demo table and Adrian Coombes who is exhibiting Yarpole.
        >
        > Fingers crossed I'll be showing off DCC control of my new chopper couplings.
        >
        > Regards
        > John
        >
      • John C
        Hi Martyn, I m using little home made electromagnets. Perhaps a video soon. John
        Message 3 of 21 , May 6, 2011
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Martyn,

          I'm using little home made electromagnets. Perhaps a video soon.

          John

          --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "Martyn" <martyn@...> wrote:
          >
          > DCC control chopper couplings: Unfortunately I won't be there to see them "in the flesh" so to speak, but I do hope you post a video of that soon! are you using "memory wire"?
          >
          > regards,
          >
          > Martyn
          >
          >
          > --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "John C" <jclutterbuck2001@> wrote:
          > >
          > > A quick reminder about the O14 presence at the 7mm NGA Expo/AGM tomorrow. Any O14 members please say hello to David and myself on our demo table and Adrian Coombes who is exhibiting Yarpole.
          > >
          > > Fingers crossed I'll be showing off DCC control of my new chopper couplings.
          > >
          > > Regards
          > > John
          > >
          >
        • Paul Holmes
          See you tomorrow - I shall bring a Fairlie a Manning Wardle and some smoke oil. Paul
          Message 4 of 21 , May 6, 2011
          • 0 Attachment
            See you tomorrow - I shall bring a Fairlie a Manning Wardle and some smoke oil. Paul

            --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "John C" <jclutterbuck2001@...> wrote:
            >
            > Dear Group,
            >
            > David Hughes and I are giving a demo at Burton on Trent on the 7th May
            > on track making and my new couplers. Given this has been rather grandly
            > billed as O14 Group - Demonstration of Scale modelling if anyone else is
            > coming and has some O14 stuff they would like to show off please bring
            > it along. I will have a 5' long test track which I can switch between
            > DC and DCC.
            >
            > I also note that Adrian Roberts will be flying the O14 (or is it O13.7?)
            > flag with Yarpole.
            >
            > See you there
            > John
            >
          • adriangrayfr
            Others may bring snake oil...........!!!!! ;-) Adrian
            Message 5 of 21 , May 6, 2011
            • 0 Attachment
              Others may bring snake oil...........!!!!!

              ;-)

              Adrian

              --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Holmes" <heatonwood@...> wrote:
              >
              > See you tomorrow - I shall bring a Fairlie a Manning Wardle and some smoke oil. Paul
              >
              > --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "John C" <jclutterbuck2001@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear Group,
              > >
              > > David Hughes and I are giving a demo at Burton on Trent on the 7th May
              > > on track making and my new couplers. Given this has been rather grandly
              > > billed as O14 Group - Demonstration of Scale modelling if anyone else is
              > > coming and has some O14 stuff they would like to show off please bring
              > > it along. I will have a 5' long test track which I can switch between
              > > DC and DCC.
              > >
              > > I also note that Adrian Roberts will be flying the O14 (or is it O13.7?)
              > > flag with Yarpole.
              > >
              > > See you there
              > > John
              > >
              >
            • John C
              It was really nice to meet so many old and new o14 group members on Saturday. My attempts at a track building demo fell way below par - David managed to lay a
              Message 6 of 21 , May 9, 2011
              • 0 Attachment
                It was really nice to meet so many old and new o14 group members on Saturday.

                My attempts at a track building demo fell way below par - David managed to lay a complete length of track whereas all I did was bend the end of a point rail ready for filing!

                It was great to have so many visiting locos and a sail boat. Well done PJ & Paul for your well deserved competition winners. It is clear I may need to consider extending my test track for next time.

                Thanks for all the kind comments on the chopper couplings. There will be an article on them in the next issue (86) of NG&IRM Review. Details on the DCC operation may follow later. And I can confirm that I do intend to go into production hopefully fairly soon.

                Regards
                John
              • andrewyoung@mypostoffice.co.uk
                John,Glad you enjoyed yourself, the comments made from the other demonstrators share many similarities as your own in the amount of work they achieved, but
                Message 7 of 21 , May 9, 2011
                • 0 Attachment
                  John,

                  Glad you enjoyed yourself, the comments made from the other demonstrators
                  share many similarities as your own in the amount of work they achieved,
                  but at lease it proves that people were showing an interest in your
                  activities and so may well be more productive in other areas!

                  You mention extending your test trace.... could this be a small layout...?
                  Or is this just in the organiser's imagination?! :-)

                  Having removed my tongue from my cheek... if anyone on here has a portable
                  O14 layout which they'd like to bring to the convention next year, then
                  please contact me.

                  Many thanks,
                  Andrew

                  John C wrote:
                  > My attempts at a track building demo fell way below par - David managed to
                  > lay a complete length of track whereas all I did was bend the end of a
                  > point rail ready for filing!
                  >
                  > It was great to have so many visiting locos and a sail boat. Well done PJ
                  > & Paul for your well deserved competition winners. It is clear I may need
                  > to consider extending my test track for next time.
                  >
                  > Thanks for all the kind comments on the chopper couplings. There will be
                  > an article on them in the next issue (86) of NG&IRM Review. Details on the
                  > DCC operation may follow later. And I can confirm that I do intend to go
                  > into production hopefully fairly soon.
                  >
                  > Regards
                  > John



                  ______________________________________________
                  This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
                  http://www.netintelligence.com/email
                • adriangrayfr
                  Andrew, John will never build himself a layout, not even a small one, while there is DCC to play with!! ... I used to demonstrate on behalf of the Association
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 10, 2011
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Andrew, John will never build himself a layout, not even a small one, while there is DCC to play with!!
                    :-) BIG SMILE John!! :-)

                    I used to demonstrate on behalf of the Association at Guildex, a whole weekend of modelling!
                    One year I seemed to be demonstrating soldering techniques when really I was trying to build slate waggons - I managed TWO in two days whereas I would normally complete two in a decent evening's work!
                    Another year I seemed to be demonstrating scratch-building in nickel silver sheet and use of a rivetting press. Four sets of parts for bodies for FR iron coal waggons and one and a half sets erected.
                    Another year Howard Clarke arrived and presented me with three Sorset W&L carriages to build for him (the price I've paid for having all the Nosberts painted for many years). All the bodies went together but then it took me a couple of years to finish off all the rest and the detailing!!

                    Demonstrating is good fun but it never led to much production, in my experience!
                    Nowadays I would be happy to demonstrate again, if only to get some modelling done!!

                    Adrian


                    --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, andrewyoung@... wrote:
                    >
                    > John,
                    >
                    > Glad you enjoyed yourself, the comments made from the other demonstrators
                    > share many similarities as your own in the amount of work they achieved,
                    > but at lease it proves that people were showing an interest in your
                    > activities and so may well be more productive in other areas!
                    >
                    > You mention extending your test trace.... could this be a small layout...?
                    > Or is this just in the organiser's imagination?! :-)
                    >
                    > Having removed my tongue from my cheek... if anyone on here has a portable
                    > O14 layout which they'd like to bring to the convention next year, then
                    > please contact me.
                    >
                    > Many thanks,
                    > Andrew
                    >
                    > John C wrote:
                    > > My attempts at a track building demo fell way below par - David managed to
                    > > lay a complete length of track whereas all I did was bend the end of a
                    > > point rail ready for filing!
                    > >
                    > > It was great to have so many visiting locos and a sail boat. Well done PJ
                    > > & Paul for your well deserved competition winners. It is clear I may need
                    > > to consider extending my test track for next time.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks for all the kind comments on the chopper couplings. There will be
                    > > an article on them in the next issue (86) of NG&IRM Review. Details on the
                    > > DCC operation may follow later. And I can confirm that I do intend to go
                    > > into production hopefully fairly soon.
                    > >
                    > > Regards
                    > > John
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > ______________________________________________
                    > This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
                    > http://www.netintelligence.com/email
                    >
                  • Frank Sharp
                    Adrian, I have a much better method. For the last few years I ve done Wigan with Howard Clarke. It works like a treat, when he s not gone for a Woodbine,
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 10, 2011
                    • 0 Attachment

                      Adrian,

                       

                      I have a much better method. For the last few years I’ve ‘done’ Wigan with Howard Clarke . It works like a treat, when he’s not gone for a Woodbine, coffee, loo or a wander round, he talks and I get on with modelling.

                       

                      Frank

                       

                    • John C
                      Contrary to popular belief I AM building a layout, however it has taken 25+ years thus far and perhaps the same to finish it (if ever). And it is not intended
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 10, 2011
                      • 0 Attachment
                        Contrary to popular belief I AM building a layout, however it has taken 25+ years thus far and perhaps the same to finish it (if ever). And it is not intended to move out of the house. Quite remarkably for me my test track took less than 2 weeks to complete.

                        The lack of track making progress was really down to nattering, demoing my couplings and playing with visiting locos. In my defence I did do some soldering for David who was making good progress and fielding lots of trackwork questions.

                        I also think we encouraged a few newcomers to 7mm NG to consider starting in O14 from the outset so I would like to think we did a good job.

                        John

                        --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "adriangrayfr" <adrian@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > Andrew, John will never build himself a layout, not even a small one, while there is DCC to play with!!
                        >
                      • andrewyoung@mypostoffice.co.uk
                        John / Adrian,I must add that my remarks were said very much with tongue in cheek. I did try and persuade John to make his layout transportable to the show,
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 10, 2011
                        • 0 Attachment
                          John / Adrian,

                          I must add that my remarks were said very much with tongue in cheek. I did
                          try and persuade John to make his layout transportable to the show, but I
                          know that isn't going to happen! Maybe if Adrian's itching to get back
                          into demonstrating, space could be found next year... ;-)

                          Those couplings of John's are very impressive, was good to see them
                          operate 'in the metal' so to speak, rather than on the web.

                          As both John and Adrian have alluded to, the main importance of having
                          demonstrators at the convention (and I can find space for more) is to
                          encourage and inspire the membership and members of the public to make
                          models.

                          My modelling slows down a bit approaching the convention with the other
                          duties in hand and then I always come away from the convention full of
                          ideas to get me back to my modelling bench.

                          Andrew


                          >
                          > Contrary to popular belief I AM building a layout, however it has taken
                          > 25+ years thus far and perhaps the same to finish it (if ever). And it is
                          > not intended to move out of the house. Quite remarkably for me my test
                          > track took less than 2 weeks to complete.
                          >
                          > The lack of track making progress was really down to nattering, demoing my
                          > couplings and playing with visiting locos. In my defence I did do some
                          > soldering for David who was making good progress and fielding lots of
                          > trackwork questions.
                          >
                          > I also think we encouraged a few newcomers to 7mm NG to consider starting
                          > in O14 from the outset so I would like to think we did a good job.
                          >
                          > John
                          >
                          > --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "adriangrayfr" <adrian@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> Andrew, John will never build himself a layout, not even a small one,
                          >> while there is DCC to play with!!
                          >>
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          >
                          > ______________________________________________
                          > This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
                          > http://www.netintelligence.com/email
                          >



                          ______________________________________________
                          This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
                          http://www.netintelligence.com/email
                        • Adrian Coombes
                          Hi Andrew,   Should you want a demo stand next year, count me in (?).   Further, as an exhibition manager once said If you have had time to do modelling,
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 10, 2011
                          • 0 Attachment

                            Hi Andrew,

                             

                            Should you want a demo stand next year, count me in (?).

                             

                            Further, as an exhibition manager once said "If you have had time to do modelling, you have not been doing the job of demonstrating! You should be educating the public. Your public."

                             

                            I agree.

                             

                            Regards,

                             

                            Adrian(C).

                            --- On Tue, 10/5/11, andrewyoung@... <andrewyoung@...> wrote:


                            From: andrewyoung@... <andrewyoung@...>
                            Subject: Re: [O14] Re: O14 at Burton on Trent 7th May
                            To: O14@yahoogroups.com
                            Date: Tuesday, 10 May, 2011, 16:34

                             

                            John / Adrian,

                            I must add that my remarks were said very much with tongue in cheek. I did
                            try and persuade John to make his layout transportable to the show, but I
                            know that isn't going to happen! Maybe if Adrian's itching to get back
                            into demonstrating, space could be found next year... ;-)

                            Those couplings of John's are very impressive, was good to see them
                            operate 'in the metal' so to speak, rather than on the web.

                            As both John and Adrian have alluded to, the main importance of having
                            demonstrators at the convention (and I can find space for more) is to
                            encourage and inspire the membership and members of the public to make
                            models.

                            My modelling slows down a bit approaching the convention with the other
                            duties in hand and then I always come away from the convention full of
                            ideas to get me back to my modelling bench.

                            Andrew

                            >
                            > Contrary to popular belief I AM building a layout, however it has taken
                            > 25+ years thus far and perhaps the same to finish it (if ever). And it is
                            > not intended to move out of the house. Quite remarkably for me my test
                            > track took less than 2 weeks to complete.
                            >
                            > The lack of track making progress was really down to nattering, demoing my
                            > couplings and playing with visiting locos. In my defence I did do some
                            > soldering for David who was making good progress and fielding lots of
                            > trackwork questions.
                            >
                            > I also think we encouraged a few newcomers to 7mm NG to consider starting
                            > in O14 from the outset so I would like to think we did a good job.
                            >
                            > John
                            >
                            > --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "adriangrayfr" <adrian@...> wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Andrew, John will never build himself a layout, not even a small one,
                            >> while there is DCC to play with!!
                            >>
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            >
                            > ______________________________________________
                            > This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
                            > http://www.netintelligence.com/email
                            >

                            ______________________________________________
                            This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
                            http://www.netintelligence.com/email

                          • andrewyoung@mypostoffice.co.uk
                            Thanks Adrian, Hopefully there will be another demo of O14 modelling again next year, so maybe we could fit you in with that? Having just got this year out of
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 10, 2011
                            • 0 Attachment
                              Thanks Adrian,
                              Hopefully there will be another demo of O14 modelling again next year, so
                              maybe we could fit you in with that?
                              Having just got this year out of the way, I'm having a couple of weeks off
                              before I start to think about next year's convention!!
                              Andrew

                              > Hi Andrew,
                              >  
                              > Should you want a demo stand next year, count me in (?).
                              >  
                              > Further, as an exhibition manager once said "If you have had time to do
                              > modelling, you have not been doing the job of demonstrating! You should be
                              > educating the public. Your public."
                              >  
                              > I agree.
                              >  
                              > Regards,
                              >  
                              > Adrian(C).
                              >
                              > --- On Tue, 10/5/11, andrewyoung@...
                              > <andrewyoung@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >
                              > From: andrewyoung@... <andrewyoung@...>
                              > Subject: Re: [O14] Re: O14 at Burton on Trent 7th May
                              > To: O14@yahoogroups.com
                              > Date: Tuesday, 10 May, 2011, 16:34
                              >
                              >
                              >  
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              > John / Adrian,
                              >
                              > I must add that my remarks were said very much with tongue in cheek. I did
                              > try and persuade John to make his layout transportable to the show, but I
                              > know that isn't going to happen! Maybe if Adrian's itching to get back
                              > into demonstrating, space could be found next year... ;-)
                              >
                              > Those couplings of John's are very impressive, was good to see them
                              > operate 'in the metal' so to speak, rather than on the web.
                              >
                              > As both John and Adrian have alluded to, the main importance of having
                              > demonstrators at the convention (and I can find space for more) is to
                              > encourage and inspire the membership and members of the public to make
                              > models.
                              >
                              > My modelling slows down a bit approaching the convention with the other
                              > duties in hand and then I always come away from the convention full of
                              > ideas to get me back to my modelling bench.
                              >
                              > Andrew
                              >
                              >>
                              >> Contrary to popular belief I AM building a layout, however it has taken
                              >> 25+ years thus far and perhaps the same to finish it (if ever). And it
                              >> is
                              >> not intended to move out of the house. Quite remarkably for me my test
                              >> track took less than 2 weeks to complete.
                              >>
                              >> The lack of track making progress was really down to nattering, demoing
                              >> my
                              >> couplings and playing with visiting locos. In my defence I did do some
                              >> soldering for David who was making good progress and fielding lots of
                              >> trackwork questions.
                              >>
                              >> I also think we encouraged a few newcomers to 7mm NG to consider
                              >> starting
                              >> in O14 from the outset so I would like to think we did a good job.
                              >>
                              >> John
                              >>
                              >> --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "adriangrayfr" <adrian@...> wrote:
                              >>>
                              >>> Andrew, John will never build himself a layout, not even a small one,
                              >>> while there is DCC to play with!!
                              >>>
                              >>
                              >>
                              >>
                              >>
                              >> ______________________________________________
                              >> This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
                              >> http://www.netintelligence.com/email
                              >>
                              >
                              > ______________________________________________
                              > This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
                              > http://www.netintelligence.com/email
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              > ______________________________________________
                              > This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
                              > http://www.netintelligence.com/email
                              >



                              ______________________________________________
                              This email has been scanned by Netintelligence
                              http://www.netintelligence.com/email
                            • adriangrayfr
                              Just reading John s couplings article - interesting puts it mildly! Fortunately 1926 FR only uses choppers between bogie carriages...... however, if John can
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 12, 2011
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Just reading John's couplings article - interesting puts it mildly!

                                Fortunately 1926 FR only uses choppers between bogie carriages......
                                however, if John can devise a DCC method for hook and link coupling I might even be tempted!!

                                What really provoked me to write was John's remark about a Dorset W&L wagon looking strange regauged to 14mm, which I found a bit strange as I thought that they were very similar to the Rheidol's wagons that were built for 2ft!
                                I'll have to go and check the library!

                                Adrian
                              • John C
                                Hi Adrian, I m glad you liked the article. ... Now there s a challenge for a rainy day (or month!) ... I think it is down to the large wheels and body riding
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 13, 2011
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  Hi Adrian,

                                  I'm glad you liked the article.

                                  > however, if John can devise a DCC method for hook and link coupling I might even be tempted!!

                                  Now there's a challenge for a rainy day (or month!)

                                  > What really provoked me to write was John's remark about a Dorset W&L wagon looking strange regauged to 14mm, which I found a bit strange as I thought that they were very similar to the Rheidol's wagons that were built for 2ft!

                                  I think it is down to the large wheels and body riding so high. As quoted the coupling height is 2'2" which is the height used by many 3' lines, whereas the L&M used 1'2.5", Ashover 1'3", L&B 1'6" and VoR 1'9"

                                  John
                                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.