Narrow gauge wheel profiles

  • John Clutterbuck
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 13, 2006
      Hi All,

      With the garden at last needing less attention I'm getting back to
      modelling. (I wonder whether SHMBO will let me build a 2' railway in
      it - fat chance methinks)

      Does anyone know how typical prototype 2ft narrow gauge wheel profiles
      compare with standard gauge stock, especially with regards to the
      flange width and depth?

      From what I have seen they do not look much different, but without
      actually measuring them it's difficult to tell. I imagine that if
      anything they would be slightly finer, but I imagine not by that much.

      The reason I ask is I am thinking of using a Scale7 wheel profile tool
      to make all my wheels consistent both with the aim of improved running
      and better looks.

      Regards
      John Clutterbuck
    • John Clutterbuck
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 6, 2006
        All,

        I would like to add my thanks to Roy for his wise words and fully
        agree that his standards do work, and see no reason to change them. My
        main interest in this is to prove one way or another whether the
        Romford/Markits wheels with the 14mm axles are compatible with these
        standards. So far it is clear the old 'standard' profile wheels
        definitely are not.

        I have now obtained some Romford/Markits RP25 wheels which I intend to
        use one of these days to rebuild my 20 year old Wrightlines Baldwin
        (the current plastic centred wheels are inclined to slip on the axles).

        Having assembled these wheels with the 14mm axles exactly as is, i.e.
        with no fettling, I have measured the back to back as a fraction below
        12.6mm (my guess is around 12.57 +/- 0.01). This is just slightly
        wider than our standards of 12.40 – 12.50mm. The flanges are certainly
        quite fine and look to be very similar to the RCL wheels.

        This suggests to me that the wheels would benefit from a slight skim
        of the boss at the back. However, I agree with the suggestions that
        this can be simply achieved by rubbing down* the back of just ONE of
        the wheels until it is flush with the back of the tread. From my
        measurements this would indicate that about 0.20mm would be removed
        which brings us down to 12.40 (or a fraction less) so it is probably
        best not to overdo it.

        (*my preference would be to use wet & dry used wet on a known flat
        surface e.g. mirror)

        Having said that, the wheel set as is seemed to run well through point
        work and ran freely on it's own for several yards down a slight
        incline - this included a reverse curve. A better test would be to
        make up a simple 4 wheel chassis and propel it via a loco, but I am
        not sure when I'll be able to get around to it.

        My conclusion is that the RP25 wheels with 14mm axles can be made to
        work with a bit of simple fettling and can therefore be recommended.

        I would welcome further comments from others. Furthermore please
        consider whether this should be made as a formal recommendation to the
        7mmNGA to pass on to manufacturers. Adrian – if you have been
        following this have you anything further to add?