RE: [O14] NG&IRM Review 79

  • David Janes
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
      I have already had a look to see what motor I could fit into the Fowler! I
      am always amazed to see prototypes in the REVIEW I have never heard of
      before and it makes me wonder what else could be tucked away in archives
      around the world.

      Otto's Grassmaker looks like a 'must have' and I will be ordering the parts
      for one.

    • John Clutterbuck
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
        --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "David Janes" <david@...> wrote:

        > I have already had a look to see what motor I could fit into the Fowler!

        Me too. I would also want to try and fit DCC sound with either a speaker in the engine casing or perhaps a rectangular one under the engine/frame facing downwards.

        The other challenge would be to get the driver to turn his head in the direction of travel. Perhaps memory wire or a small solenoid/servo.

        John
      • Roy C Link
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
          Re David's comment:

          > I am always amazed to see prototypes in the REVIEW I have never
          > heard of
          > before and it makes me wonder what else could be tucked away in
          > archives
          > around the world.

          After fifty years of collecting, I either possess, or have access to,
          a lot more like the Fowler 'Little Samson' material. A good part of
          the small profit that the REVIEW makes is ploughed back into
          purchasing original material for future publication. Also, we have
          many loyal readers who are prepared to share their own collected
          material through the pages of the magazine. In this latter respect,
          it is more like a world-wide club than a mere journal, and I thank
          everyone who takes the time to make the REVIEW what it is, through
          their generous contributions. I certainly could not do it on my own!

          Roy C Link

          www.narrowgaugeandindustrial.com

          On 1 Aug 2009, at 10:07, David Janes wrote:

          > I have already had a look to see what motor I could fit into the
          > Fowler! I
          > am always amazed to see prototypes in the REVIEW I have never heard of
          > before and it makes me wonder what else could be tucked away in
          > archives
          > around the world.
          >
          > Otto's Grassmaker looks like a 'must have' and I will be ordering
          > the parts
          > for one.

        • Paul Holmes
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009
            Hi John

            Just back from holiday to find a thousand Emails....I hope this is not another 'curse of the CT owners club' again. I am still now convinced that Zimo is the Mercedes decoder and CT an old Alfa Romeo (hope that does not land me in the slander courts!!)

            Seriously thanks to Roy for another super issue - not had time to red properly though yet >
            > You would be very welcome to visit and have a play. Last Tuesday was the first time an engine (K1) traversed the newly completed full loop driven by my good lady wife! This official opening was rather delayed by a suspected short/blown decoder in the HP engine which was partly explained by an intermittent break in the motor wire - i.e. decoder seems dead if no motor load. I came very close to ordering some replacement Zimos but still wonder if I could fit a MX640 in.
            >
            > Best Regards
            > John

          • John Clutterbuck
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 4, 2009
              I did have an Alfa a while back and currently drive a Mercedes. The Alfa was an great vehicle but I agree is probably akin to the CT as having one tends to be a shared ownership scheme with the garage. The Mercedes just works but is not as much fun as the Alfa, so it bodes well for the Zimo. However there is obviously a gap in the decoder market to match the 2 Subaru Impreza WRX's I had prior to my Merc. They were unbelievably fast and incredibly reliable!

              John

              --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Holmes" <heatonwood@...> wrote:

              > Just back from holiday to find a thousand Emails....I hope this is not another 'curse of the CT owners club' again. I am still now convinced that Zimo is the Mercedes decoder and CT an old Alfa Romeo (hope that does not land me in the slander courts!!)

            • Tony Spencer
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 4, 2009
                I also own two cars but I don't particularly think this is the place to
                discuss them. There are enough emails to deal with anyway. TS

              • Paul Holmes
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 4, 2009
                  But we are modelling narrow gauge of yesteryear when speed and handling was less important!! Reliable steady operation is what we need with lots of features!! The Zimo even has a smoke output where the voltage output to the seuthe unit increases in line with locomotive loading.. That's a Merc feature in my book (not that I have ever owned one though!!!) Paul
                  #

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 5, 2009
                    Recent test runs with my Baldwin pulling a heavy load of wagons up the slopes are showing that I'm going to enjoy the same sort of driving challenges that Dennis has on his wonderful TVR. I.e. lots of wheelslip and even grinding to a wheelspinning halt if I'm not careful. The load dependent CT sound certainly compliments this but adding load dependent smoke would be the ultimate icing on the cake!

                    I think the only think holding me back is the thought of dismantling K1 yet again.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 5, 2009
                      Please don't take K1 to bits!!! Adding retrospective smoke would also involve building an oil reservoir and fillers - and Little Wonder leaks oil everywhere!! Just an example of the incredible functionality of the Zimo - i have been impressed!

                      Paul Holmes

                      To: O14@yahoogroups.com
                      From: jclutterbuck2001@...
                      Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 11:56:25 +0000