Re: [O-14] K1 Garratt Valve Gear

  • Brian Rumary
    Message 1 of 17 , May 2 3:41 PM
      John Clutterbuck wrote:

      > I must confess my ignorance of prototype practice but does this
      > matter? Are locos left in gear or are they always returned to mid
      > gear? I recall a picture of a NG loco that once steam was raised drove
      > itself through some buffers and down a bank so it must happen sometimes.

      Unattended steam locos *should* always be left in mid-gear, with the
      cylinder drain cocks open and the regulator fully shut. Failure to take
      these precautions can result in a small steam leak in the regulator
      leading to a slow build-up of pressure in the cylinders. The end result is
      that the loco then decides to go AWOL and often ends up in the turntable
      pit!

      Brian Rumary, England

      www.rumary.co.uk
    • Justin Kahn
      Message 2 of 17 , May 4 2:29 PM
        I have looked more than once at the Backwoods kit, as the prototype is so
        attractive, but the price tag is intimidating, and hearing of the problems
        with it, even more a deterrence.
        Especially the valve gear matters, as my Gibson Lynton & Barnstaple Manning
        Wardle has sat in the box, 90% complete, for four or five years while I
        summon the energy to sort out the Joy valve gear.

        Jace Kahn, General Manager
        Ceres and Canisteo RR Co.

        >From: "John Clutterbuck" <jclutterbuck2001@...>
        >To: O-14@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [O-14] Re: K1 Garratt Valve Gear
        >Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:10:50 -0000
        >
        >Hi Frank,
        >
        >--- In O-14@yahoogroups.com, "Frank Sharp" <Frank.J.Sharp@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > ... garrotters, very apt
        > >

        >I like that.
        >
        > > Roughly I reckon to have thrown away a third of it, modified 90% of
        > > what is left, and for every piece that has come out of the box,
        > > I've added or made 7 or 8 more.
        >
        >Similar story on the K1 - I got it for Xmas 2004 and I'm still only
        >half way through. My kitchen/utility was far easier to build!
        >
        >I look forward to sharing a moan at Burton.
        >
        >Regards
        >John
        >

        >O-14 Photos area:
        >
        >O-14 Files area:
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • John Clutterbuck
        Message 3 of 17 , May 6 10:49 AM
          Thanks for all the useful feedback.

          Although I accept that returning to mid gear when the loco is finished
          with, is the correct thing to do, there was just no way I was going to
          achive it with the limited space in the K1.

          However I have this afternoon finally managed to get a one way
          movement working using memory wire and spring return. I had to use a
          pulley at one end to get enough length and it was quite a challenge to
          find a clear route under the spur gears, around the pickup and
          compensation pivot, and still allow everything (including the wheels)
          to be removed. I'll bring it along to Burton on Trent on the 20th if
          anyone wants a look.

          Shame I'm on parent taxi duty tonight otherwise I'd be celebrating
          with a bottle or two!