Re: Working Torque Converter

  • adriangrayfr
    Message 1 of 33 , Feb 1, 2009
      --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "Geoff Baxter" <hollywood@...> wrote:

      > Adrian,
      >
      > I have seen a method used to good effect for tender drives in steam
      > locomotives where the motor and a large flywheel are concealed in the
      > tender, but the drive is then taken to the driving wheels of the
      > locomotive. This puts lots of weight in the right area, as the boiler
      > can be almost solid metal.
      >
      > But the part of interst is the coupling shaft, it used very thin
      > piano wire. Piano wire is very strong and stiff and a lot harder to
      > see than a normal cardan shaft, and if kept down low, is quite
      > unobtrusive.
      >
      > Geoff

      Now we really are going around in circles Geoff!!
      The piano wire cardan shaft is exactly the method used by that
      Pendlenton friend of mine to transfer drive form some truly enormous
      motor and flywheel combinations riding in fortunately large LNER and BR
      tenders behind his Pacifics and other large locomotives!
      It has the very real advantage of being visually very unobtrusive in
      the tender/loco gap and very simple to set up.

      :-)

      Adrian
    • Brian Millar
      Message 33 of 33 , Feb 23, 2009
        I posted a couple more photos of my progress with the model of Puffing Billy
        D21, it needs a clean up and that will happen in the next day or 2.
        Cheers
        Brian Millar
        Qld. Aust.