O14 Track Standards

  • jclutterbuck2001
    Message 1 of 20 , Dec 2, 2004
      I have just uploaded a document and diagram for the O14 track
      standards into the files section. Hopefully the diagram should be
      displayed within the document.

    • Mark Kendrick
      Message 2 of 20 , Dec 5, 2004
        G'day All,
        I have heard it said that Romford 14mm gauge axles are actually 14.2mm
        gauge for Sn3. According to John Clutterbug's recently posted standards info
        (in the files), there is an extra 0.1-0.2mm back to back on Romfords.
        Does it make all that much difference? I haven't laid any points yet, but
        the track I have is laid to 14mm exactly (even around 6" radius curves) and
        the Romfords track fine around it (I come from N using proprietry track so
        am unaware of the intricacies of handlaid finescale track).
        From what I can tell (left my calipers at work), its only the flange
        thickness that is different from the RCL wheelsets. If it does make a
        difference, would it be a good idea for us all to send our axles back to
        Romford saying they aren't to the right gauge and asking for suitable
        replacements?

        Regards,
        Mark K
        Sydney Oz

        Who spent an enjoyable weekend playing with 1:1 2' gauge trains
      • jclutterbuck2001
        Message 3 of 20 , Dec 5, 2004
          Hi Mark

          Over the last few years I have read many articles about obtaining good
          running and all seem to imply that following consistent standards is
          vital, especially through pointwork.

          I dont know what exact impact the extra 0.1 - 0.2 will make in
          practice but it will have a corresponding effect on check to flange
          and check to gauge (see Files - standards). These I know can have an
          impact as the wheel is likely to hit the crossing nose and therefore
          can derail.

        • Frank Sharp
          Message 4 of 20 , Dec 5, 2004
            Mark,

            I've already seen the post from John C, but my findings in terms of
            running were slightly different. On 14mm track, carefully checked by
            both gauges and then when I perceived a problem by vernier gauge was
            that instead of running on the treads the wheels were actually running
            on the root of the flange. I've taken a whisker off the boss at the back
            and that seems to have solved the problem. We measure or set back to
            back, but that isn't strictly what matters. I understand that we should
            be looking at the distance from the joint of the flange and tread on the
            face of one wheel to the back of the wheel on the other wheel. If you
            think about it, the check rail is intended to keep the flange from
            striking the crossing nose when the back of the opposite wheel is up
            against the check rail.

            Hope that makes sense

            Frank

            I have heard it said that Romford 14mm gauge axles are actually 14.2mm
            gauge for Sn3. According to John Clutterbug's recently posted standards
            info
            (in the files), there is an extra 0.1-0.2mm back to back on Romfords.
            Does it make all that much difference? I haven't laid any points yet,
            but
            the track I have is laid to 14mm exactly (even around 6" radius curves)
            and
            the Romfords track fine around it (I come from N using proprietry track
            so
            am unaware of the intricacies of handlaid finescale track).
            From what I can tell (left my calipers at work), its only the flange
            thickness that is different from the RCL wheelsets. If it does make a
            difference, would it be a good idea for us all to send our axles back to
            Romford saying they aren't to the right gauge and asking for suitable
            replacements?

            Regards,
            Mark K
            Sydney Oz

            Who spent an enjoyable weekend playing with 1:1 2' gauge trains

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1297ddavi/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/
            D=groups/S=1706043018:HM/EXP=1102337237/A=2455397/R=0/SIG=119u9qmi7/*htt
            p:/smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/> click here

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=group
            s/S=:HM/A=2455397/rand=425591389>

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Mark Kendrick
            Message 5 of 20 , Dec 6, 2004
              Thanks John and Frank,
              I guess a few experiments are in order. Time to learn to handlay points!
              Then again, if we all send our inferior axles back to Romford for
              replacement with correct axles maybe we'll get an improved product.
              Apologies to John Clutterbuck for miss-spelling his surname.
              Regards,
              Mark K
              Sydney

              Message 6 of 20 , Dec 6, 2004
                G'day all,
                What is commonly used as 14mm gauge wheelsets for rollingstock? I believe
                Roy Link won't sell his wheels separately, is Gibson the only other
                supplier?
                Is there any interest in having a small run of 14mm gauge wheelsets for
                rollingstock made? They could be straight, split or curly spoked, or
                disc-with or without holes, and in whatever diameter is wanted. And whatever
                axle length is deemed most suitable. A concensus would have to be reached as
                I don't want to do more than one size/shape yet.
                Cost to you would be cost to me plus postage.
                If your interested, make yourself heard!

                Cheers,
                Mark K
                trainbrain@...
              • Frank Sharp
                Message 7 of 20 , Dec 6, 2004
                  Mark,

                  What are you thinking of making or having made that Gibson in particular
                  doesn't do? He makes curly spokes in 3 sizes. 9, 10.5 and 12mm, and some
                  of his 00 wheels will also do for narrow gauge. If you are using
                  standard wheels, make sure you ask for 00, assuming that is the standard
                  you want, he does different wheel profiles, e.g P4. Normal axle length
                  is 26 mm but he will also supply, given a couple of days notice usually,
                  on Lima replacement axles at 24.5 mm. These are a better idea in the 7mm
                  NGA slate wagons, where you can then fit his waisted bearings. They end
                  up so free running they are a devil to shunt with Kay Dees, I am working
                  on a DCC brake van!
                  I'm sure Phil will correct me if I am wrong, but I think A G is making
                  the wheels for Portwynnstay's inside bearing Festiniog Railway wagons.
                  Phil, are they your exclusive for the kits or can we buy them from A G
                  or yourself on their own?
                  A G doesn't as far as I know supply to 14mm gauge, but I bought a 16.5
                  gauge brass back to back gauge, 14.5 mm ?, and turned the faces down in
                  a lathe to 12.45 mm. I drilled two holes on the solid part of the gauge,
                  2.5 mm diameter and just deep enough so that if you push one end of a 26
                  mm axle set hard into one hole, and then the other end into the same
                  hole it pushes the wheels in to the correct B to B for 14mm. The other
                  hole does for 24.5 mm axles.
                  I have found that if you disturb A G wagon wheels sometimes the rims
                  come loose. I usually spend an evening trimming the flash, pushing the
                  rims off, and bedding them back with a smear of 24 hour Araldite. The
                  next night I regauge them, with another drop of Araldite on the axle. I
                  think they would probably be O.K. if I didn't mess about with the gauge.

                  Frank

                  What is commonly used as 14mm gauge wheelsets for rollingstock? I
                  believe
                  Roy Link won't sell his wheels separately, is Gibson the only other
                  supplier?
                  Is there any interest in having a small run of 14mm gauge wheelsets for
                  rollingstock made? They could be straight, split or curly spoked, or
                  disc-with or without holes, and in whatever diameter is wanted. And
                  whatever
                  axle length is deemed most suitable. A concensus would have to be
                  reached as
                  I don't want to do more than one size/shape yet.
                  Cost to you would be cost to me plus postage.
                  If your interested, make yourself heard!

                  Cheers,
                  Mark K
                  trainbrain@...

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129m45emf/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/
                  D=groups/S=1706043018:HM/EXP=1102422842/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*htt
                  p:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400> click here

                  <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=group
                  s/S=:HM/A=2434971/rand=329745652>

                  _____

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                • portwynnstay@talkgas.net
                  Message 8 of 20 , Dec 6, 2004
                    Mark,
                    Alan Gibson is probably the only other reliable supplier of wheels. He already makes at least two diameters of curly spoke, 10.5mm and 12mm diameter and also various 4mm scale disc and spoke wheels of these diameters which can be used by us. He has recently produced for me (as Port Wynnstay Models) a Festiniog teardrop hole disc wheel. You really need to find out what different axle lengths he makes, and there are a few, as I am sure he will supply wheels off axles to set at your own gauge if asked nicely. He supplies my inside bearing wagon wheels like this. I am willing to make the F.R. wheels available for general use if there is a demand. Can't send attachments on group but if you wish to view said wheel contact me off group and I will send the picture.
                    Regards Phil T.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Dec 6, 2004
                      Frank
                      See reply to Mark whic should hit group about now for answers to most of your queries.
                      When I asked A.G. about selling the F.R. wheel he replied that if anyone enquired he referred them to me, if there is a demand I will order extra above and beyond those I need for my kits and supply them, same price as Alan's other wheels and axles.
                      Regards Phil T.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Dec 6, 2004
                        Wrightlines (see keykits under links) also do wagon wheels although I
                        suspect these are the Alan Gibson ones.

                        John C
                      • mattjcoleman@netscape.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 6, 2004
                          Mark,

                          Your comments are interesting but gave me quite a start. If the "14mm Romford axles" are actually 14.2 mm gauge they would also be dead-on for 3mm Finescale. Being a member of the 3mm society, I would think that there would have been a lot of interest had they actually been 14.2 mm gauge. Wheels have been a concern for the 3mm Society for a while and I don't recall any comments about them in the Society newsletter but I may have missed it.

                          The other explanation is that even if they were 14.2 mm, the wheels wouldn't have been very useable in 3mm due to tire width and spoke count.

                          Just another perspective on this. Thanks for mentioning it.

                          Matt

                          Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 23:50:43 +1100
                          From: "Mark Kendrick" <trainbrain@...>
                          Subject: The Truth about Romfords

                          G'day All,
                          I have heard it said that Romford 14mm gauge axles are actually 14.2mm
                          gauge for Sn3. According to John Clutterbug's recently posted standards info
                          (in the files), there is an extra 0.1-0.2mm back to back on Romfords.
                          Does it make all that much difference? I haven't laid any points yet, but
                          the track I have is laid to 14mm exactly (even around 6" radius curves) and
                          the Romfords track fine around it (I come from N using proprietry track so
                          am unaware of the intricacies of handlaid finescale track).
                          From what I can tell (left my calipers at work), its only the flange
                          thickness that is different from the RCL wheelsets. If it does make a
                          difference, would it be a good idea for us all to send our axles back to
                          Romford saying they aren't to the right gauge and asking for suitable
                          replacements?

                          Regards,
                          Mark K
                          Sydney Oz

                          Who spent an enjoyable weekend playing with 1:1 2' gauge trains

                          Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

                          Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                        • Frank Sharp
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 6, 2004
                            Matt,

                            Let's look at this the other way round, what is there in 3mm wheels
                            which might work in 14mm narrow gauge?

                            Frank

                            Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 23:50:43 +1100
                            From: "Mark Kendrick" <trainbrain@...>

                            G'day All,
                            I have heard it said that Romford 14mm gauge axles are actually 14.2mm
                            gauge for Sn3. According to John Clutterbug's recently posted standards
                            info
                            (in the files), there is an extra 0.1-0.2mm back to back on Romfords.
                            Does it make all that much difference? I haven't laid any points yet,
                            but
                            the track I have is laid to 14mm exactly (even around 6" radius curves)
                            and
                            the Romfords track fine around it (I come from N using proprietry track
                            so
                            am unaware of the intricacies of handlaid finescale track).
                            From what I can tell (left my calipers at work), its only the flange
                            thickness that is different from the RCL wheelsets. If it does make a
                            difference, would it be a good idea for us all to send our axles back to
                            Romford saying they aren't to the right gauge and asking for suitable
                            replacements?

                            Regards,
                            Mark K
                            Sydney Oz

                            Who spent an enjoyable weekend playing with 1:1 2' gauge trains

                            Switch to Netscape Internet Service.
                            As low as $9.95 a month -- Sign up today at
                            http://isp.netscape.com/register

                            Netscape. Just the Net You Need.

                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129aoue6n/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/
                            D=groups/S=1706043018:HM/EXP=1102454790/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*htt
                            p:/companion.yahoo.com> click here

                            s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=385759270>

                            _____

                            Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Mark Kendrick
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 6, 2004
                              G'day All,
                              I simply want wheels for my own use, I can get them cheaper than importing
                              them from the UK. And being a student cheapness is a major consideration. I
                              do have some A G curly spoke 12mm wheels, they are very nice, but still
                              expensive. And I can get my wheels to whatever size and shape I want. I'm
                              going to get 12" dia coalskip wheels for myself anyway, and a larger
                              diameter once I've decided what I want, or unless someone wants to sway my
                              decision with a preferred size/shape.
                              Regards,
                              Mark K
                            • Frank Sharp
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 6, 2004
                                Mark,

                                How constructed, metal rim and plastic inner? Keep us in touch, 7mm
                                diameter wheels (scale 12") might be of use to some of us. When you get
                                some made, send Adrian Gray a set for review in Narrow Lines, it is good
                                publicity and his reviews are fair.

                                Frank

                                I simply want wheels for my own use, I can get them cheaper than
                                importing
                                them from the UK. And being a student cheapness is a major
                                consideration. I
                                do have some A G curly spoke 12mm wheels, they are very nice, but still
                                expensive. And I can get my wheels to whatever size and shape I want.
                                I'm
                                going to get 12" dia coalskip wheels for myself anyway, and a larger
                                diameter once I've decided what I want, or unless someone wants to sway
                                my
                                decision with a preferred size/shape.
                                Regards,
                                Mark K

                                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=12952b9e9/M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/
                                D=groups/S=1706043018:HM/EXP=1102462590/A=2434971/R=0/SIG=11eeoolb0/*htt
                                p:/www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60185400> click here

                                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=298184.5639630.6699735.3001176/D=group
                                s/S=:HM/A=2434971/rand=737151928>

                                _____

                                Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Mark Kendrick
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 6, 2004
                                  Frank,
                                  They will be plastic inner, metal rim, metal axle. I can get gunmetal,
                                  nickel silver, brass, mild steel etc for metals, and delrin or other
                                  engineering plastics for inners. I'll have to find out if I can get the
                                  metal blackened.
                                  I've never got past laying flextrack before so materials for wheels is a
                                  whole new game.
                                  The coal skips wheels are a 6 flat spoke design, inside bearing. The
                                  coalskips to go with them will be for sale too sometime next year (in
                                  limited quantities, undecided on construction method). Heres a pic of the
                                  prototype skip (albeit with different wheels):
                                  http://www.geocities.com/mark_the_train_brain/proto/corrimal_skip.jpg
                                  Will Adrian review something from someone who isn't an Association member?
                                  Regards,
                                  Mark K

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Dec 6, 2004
                                    Probably, but you should join!

                                    Frank

                                    How constructed, metal rim and plastic inner? Keep us in touch, 7mm
                                    diameter wheels (scale 12") might be of use to some of us. When you get
                                    some made, send Adrian Gray a set for review in Narrow Lines, it is good
                                    publicity and his reviews are fair.

                                    Frank

                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                    <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1298bn48p/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/
                                    D=groups/S=1706043018:HM/EXP=1102463919/A=2455397/R=0/SIG=119u9qmi7/*htt
                                    p:/smallbusiness.yahoo.com/domains/> click here

                                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=group
                                    s/S=:HM/A=2455397/rand=918254474>

                                    _____

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • mattjcoleman@netscape.net
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Dec 7, 2004
                                      Frank,

                                      There is probably quite a bit, but the 3mm Society, like most UK socieities can only sell to members. The society price list is: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gfcoker/3mmPriceList.htm

                                      But, as I mentioned, you need to be a society member to buy. Three Millimetre Scale Railways (3SMR) and Finney & Smith are both commercial companies which offer some 14.2 wheels.

                                      All the 3mm drivers use a shouldered axle for back-to-back spacing but the wheels are simply pressed on to a straight axle.

                                      In looking for items to be of use in 7mm I would suppose the solid wheels would be more useful than the spoked.

                                      Matt

                                      Message: 6

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 7, 2004
                                        I joined the group last week, then changed phone supplier and the computer went potty. It refused to go on line and would only receive emails. Any attempt to reply got the electronic version of a "raspberry". Hence the late response on wheel standards.
                                        By way of introduction, I have been working in 14mm gauge since Roy Link first introduced his range of kits, but wanted something a bit larger as well, so I am also building Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland stock.
                                        With Romford driving wheels I found I needed to skim 0.15mm off the boss on the back of each wheel, otherwise they climbed over the pointwork built with Roy Links track gauge. I have had no problems with Ultrascale EM profile wheels in this respect, although they do not have the self quartering feature built in and do not rely on a shouldered axle to set the back - to - back dimension. This is not too much of a problem if you are careful with assembly and take things one step at a time when setting up the frames, and I also prefer the Ultrascale crankpins to the Romford ones.

                                        Regards

                                        Steve

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 12, 2004
                                          --- In O-14@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Kendrick" <trainbrain@o...> wrote:

                                          > Will Adrian review something from someone who isn't an Association
                                          member?
                                          > Regards,
                                          > Mark K

                                          If it has relevance to 7mm scale NG modelling then it will be
                                          reviewed, regardless of source!

                                          Anyway, (Association committee hat on) why aren't you a member?
                                          :-)

                                          Adrian (TLO)
                                        • trainbrain@optusnet.com.au
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 12, 2004
                                            Adrian,
                                            Not yet a 7mmNGA member because I'm a poor uni student and can't afford to be!
                                            Being in Australia without a credit card makes it hard too!
                                            I plan on joining up next year.
                                            Cheers,
                                            Mark K
                                            Sydney Oz