Front Page photo!

  • Mark K
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 1, 2005
      G'day everyone,
      The group's homepage has had the same picture since inception, its time to
      change it. Now, I need everyone to send in photos of their efforts in so a
      fresh picture can be shown. If there are enough entrants, they will be
      rotated regularly.
      Put your photo in the files or photos section, send a message to tell us
      all where it is, and a bit of a description would be good too.
      I can't wait to see what everyone is up to!
      Cheers,
      Mark K
      Sydney Oz
      Moderator
    • Stephen Holland
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
        Mark,

        I have created an album called SJH in the photos section with some of my stuff in it. There's a lot more, but none of it is finished! Please let me know if the resolution is OK if you decide to use any of the photos for the front page, or if I need to upload the full size file (around 2 meg or so).
        'Vale of Ffestiniog' is scratchbuilt from styrene sheet on the remains of an HO Alco RS3 diesel. The Ruston LAT is one of Roy Link's kits. My Hunslet is one of the first that Peco produced and is on a Branchlines chassis. The Fowler Marshall is from a Wrightlines kit, and the battery electric is a Grandt Line kit with the wheels pushed in to 14mm gauge.
        All except 'Vale' have been scruffed up following the techniques described in Martyn Welch's book 'the Art of Weathering' from Wild Swan.

        Regards

        Steve

      • Frank Sharp
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
          Steve,

          I wasn't aware of this kit, does it come with a power unit or is it some
          kind of spud?

          Frank

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
            Frank,

            the Grandt Line battery loco comes as a complete kit for On30, and I think for On3 as well. If I remember correctly, it was about £35. It is mostly injection moulded styrene with what looks like delrin gears. The gear reduction is high, so the thing will really crawl along, although it needs cramming with as much lead shot as possible to help with the pick up from the track.

            Regards

            Steve
            I wasn't aware of this kit, does it come with a power unit or is it some
            kind of spud?

            Frank

            and the battery electric is a Grandt Line kit with the wheels pushed in
            to 14mm gauge.

            O-14 Photos area:

            O-14 Files area:

          • Frank Sharp
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
              Steve,

              Thanks for info, where did you get it please?

              Frank

              and the battery electric is a Grandt Line kit with the wheels pushed
              in
              to 14mm gauge.

              O-14 Photos area:

              O-14 Files area:

              Service.

              O-14 Photos area:

              O-14 Files area:

              _____

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Stephen Holland
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
                Frank,

                I can't remember where I got the Grandt Line battery electric kit from, but it was mail order from an advert in (I think) an early copy of the 'Review'; and I think they were based in Soham(?). I've looked at the Grandt Line website http://www.grandtline.com/ and the kit number is 97052.
                If you are in the 7mm NGA, then sales should be able to get one for you, or you could try Paul Martin at http://www.ngtrains.com/

                Regards

                Steve

              • Stephen Holland
                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 9, 2005
                  Frank,

                  A bit more info from the Grandt Line website. They have two UK distributors in addition to 7mm NGA sales:

                  HISTOREX AGENTS 3-5 A Castle St., Dover Kent CT16 1QJ United Kingdom

                  SB MODELS 37 Grey Friar Close, Barrow in Furness, Cumbria, England LA13 OTW.

                  Hope this is of some help.

                  Regards

                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 10, 2005
                    Steve,
                    Thanks for the photos, I have put Frank's Fairlie up for the moment (I hope
                    you don't mind Frank) but yours will be next on rotation.
                    Anyone else wish to share something?
                    Regards,
                    Mark
                  • Mark K
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 15, 2005
                      G'day all,
                      Recently we have had a few members join, welcome!
                      Are you actively modelling in O-14, or simply interested? Would you care to
                      describe your efforts?
                      If you have any photos to share feel free to post in the files or photos
                      section of the list.
                      If you have any questions, the list would be most pleased to help answer
                      them for you, the only stupid question is the one not asked.

                      I have changed the group's front-page photo to one of Stephen Holland's,
                      his Mills class Hunslet.
                      Cheers,
                      Mark K
                      Sydney Oz
                      List Owner
                    • Justin Kahn
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 17, 2005
                        I dabble in 14 mm gage (mostly Roy Link products), although I do more with
                        7mm 16.5 and mostly Maine On2.
                        Jace Kahn, General Manager
                        Ceres and Canisteo RR Co.

                        >Are you actively modelling in O-14, or simply interested? Would you care to
                        >describe your efforts?
                        >If you have any photos to share feel free to post in the files or photos
                        >section of the list.
                        >If you have any questions, the list would be most pleased to help answer
                        >them for you, the only stupid question is the one not asked.
                        >
                        > I have changed the group's front-page photo to one of Stephen Holland's,
                        >his Mills class Hunslet.
                        >Cheers,
                        > Mark K
                        >Sydney Oz

                      • John Clutterbuck
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
                          Having completed my trackwork diversions (part3 should be in issue 65 of NG&I REVIEW) and with most of my kitchen/utility room done, I restarted work on my K1 Garratt 2 days ago. I have just discovered that my last progress post was Dec 13 2004 so its been quite a while.

                          I have made new slightly longer steel axle extensions and am going to fit the cranks using Dave Taylor's method, but with some brass bushes which are first soldered into the cranks themselves. Having the cranks further out should enable the motion to line up better.

                          One thing I am unsure about is whether the cranks are RH or LH leading, perhaps someone can confirm this.

                          Assuming it is RH leading, I have confused myself trying to establish whether it is different for each engine. I think it makes no difference, i.e. if the rear engine is RH leading in reverse (or forwards from the engine's perspective) then it is also RH leading going forwards (or backwards from the engine's perspective. Hopefully someone who can understand the above can advise.

                          Regards
                          John Clutterbuck.

                          (A motto for Christmas: Never eat on an empty stomach! )

                        • Mark K
                          Message 12 of 17 , Dec 20, 2005
                            G'day John,
                            As currently preserved from photos taken in October I think, both units are
                            right hand leading.

                            Wishing a merry festive season to all.
                            There's to be a Duncan Models traction engine and excavator under the tree
                            for me this year!
                            Regards,
                            Mark
                            Sydney Australia
                          • Martin Hartley
                            Message 13 of 17 , Dec 25, 2005
                              Mark,

                              A bottle of flux would help me finish your points alot quicker. And
                              with the 3-way symetrical you are pushing it. I can do an
                              interlaced/lapped 3-way, but not a symetrical one.

                              And as mentioned elsewhere, some will be build with Code 70 Shinohara
                              and others with Code 75 Peco Rail (just like the prototype where
                              different rail might be found all over the place).the

                              Kindest Regards,

                              Martin "Mad Marty" Hartley
                            • John Clutterbuck
                              Message 14 of 17 , Dec 28, 2005
                                I have decided to move all the existing photos of my Backwoods K1 here
                                from the 7mmnga group as they are pushed for space. I will save all
                                new photos here too and post comments here as well. Most relate to
                                my attempts at higher fidelity in 14mm gauge anyway.

                              • carol.roberts28@btinternet.com
                                Message 15 of 17 , Feb 15, 2009
                                  Hi John,
                                  Work at the moment is, shall we say, of the experimental nature. There
                                  is much to catch up on. Have not built a turnout in many a year (until
                                  a couple of weeks ago), neither have I laid scalpel to plasticard in
                                  scratch-built mode in a while! A couple of 4 wheelers are on wheels
                                  with couplings fitted, but are in 'photographic white'. Not a lot of
                                  use. At least the panelling has come out quite nice, the first coat of
                                  primer will show all the mistakes.
                                  We will keep you up to date as more progress is made.

                                  Regards,

                                  Carol & Adrian.