Track Gauges

  • ianj0trains
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 1, 2005
      All,

      As a new chum to this group, currently not modelling in O-14mm, but
      having a look at this area out of interest due to the release of the
      BM Garratt kits.

      I've read all the posts on the group, so noted Roy Links suggestion of
      using NWSL or PSC Sn3 wheels, can anyone advise of a supplier of
      suitable track and wheel gauges for O-14mm.

      I'm located in Melbourne, Australia, so if overseas someone who takes
      credit card payments appreciated.

      Thanks

      Ian J
    • Frank Sharp
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 1, 2005
        Ian,

        Track Gauges for 14mm are available from Roy Link, an etched brass
        version which is also a back to back gauge etc.
        http://www.paragonnarrowgauge.co.uk/ now seem to handle these for Roy.

        Wrightlines do a cast white metal version. As it comes it is only
        suitable for straight track, but if you cut the ends off one side to
        leave about 2mm in the centre, and cut the other side to leave 2mm at
        each send it will do curved track with a degree of gauge widening on
        curved track.

        The other alternative is to buy the EM gauge from C & L Finescale, this
        is a round rolling version, but made up from individual parts, so you
        can dismantle it and shorten the centre section.

        All take credits cards.

        Frank

        As a new chum to this group, currently not modelling in O-14mm, but
        having a look at this area out of interest due to the release of the
        BM Garratt kits.

        I've read all the posts on the group, so noted Roy Links suggestion of
        using NWSL or PSC Sn3 wheels, can anyone advise of a supplier of
        suitable track and wheel gauges for O-14mm.

        I'm located in Melbourne, Australia, so if overseas someone who takes
        credit card payments appreciated.

        Thanks

        Ian J

        O-14 Photos area:

        O-14 Files area:

        _____

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bruce Wilson
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 8, 2008
          Is there a source for O-14 track gauges or do I have to make my
          own. My question is prompted by the reading of John Clutterbuck's
          articles in the NG&IR on building track where some gauges appear in the photos.

          Thanks for your help.

          -
          Bruce Wilson
          Barrie, Ontario
          Life Member NMRA Member Gauge 0 Guild
          Member Scale 7 Group Member 7mm NGA
        • Stuart Mitchell
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 8, 2008
            Hi
            yu could try http://www.kbscale.com/TrackParts.htm about half way down the page.

            Stuart in OZ

            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 8, 2008
              At 08:04 4/8/2008, you wrote:
              >Hi
              >yu could try http://www.kbscale.com/TrackParts.htm about half way
              >down the page.
              >
              >Stuart in OZ

              Thanks for the reply Stuart. I will check it out.

              Bruce Wilson
              Barrie, Ontario, Canada
              Life Member NMRA
              Member Scale 7 Group Gauge 0 Guild 7mm NGA
            • Mark K
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 8, 2008
                G'day Bruce, all,
                The KB Scale ones are probably the best around, though I've not seen one in
                the flesh. So I knocked up a couple of my own, some are folded brass with
                rail slots cut with a dremel and opened with a file-not accurate enough
                though, the others are ABS plastic I drew in CAD and had produced.
                There are a few photos in the sassafras gully photo album of the yahoo
                group. There are two varieties.
                If you or anyone else wants some, I could easily be persuaded to run off a
                few more, three of the curve types cost me less than a beer.

                And if anyone wants them set for gauge widening to their own values, let me
                know, I can do one-off customs very easily.
                Cheers,
                Mark K
                Sydney
              • Frank Sharp
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 8, 2008
                  Bruce,

                  I got a couple of the cast ones from Wrightlines, possibly Gilbert Grimli?

                  Laid about six inches of track with them, glued to a metal plate, and
                  checked the gauge with callipers. I then modified some Finescale 00,
                  probably Gibson, and some C & L Finescale roller gauges, and some Finescale
                  three point ones, and used my accurate track length to set them. All I did
                  was to cut them in half, make the 'gap' bigger and pin or plate and set with
                  Araldite.

                  Frank

                  _,_._,___

                • Robin Edwards
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 12, 2008
                    It has taken me a while, but I have found my Roy Link track gauge which I
                    think is the same as the KB Scale one. This is a milled brass plate with
                    one side set for Peco Code 82 rail (ref IL 115X) at 14mm gauge on Hudson
                    type steel sleepers (ref PK-2 sleeper pack). The other side gives 14mm
                    gauge and check rail settings. One end is a wheel back-to-back gauge (for
                    use with RCLink wheels only (now KB Scale) and the other end is a gauge to
                    set the turnout blades from the stock rail.

                    Hope this helps,

                    Robin

                    > The KB Scale ones are probably the best around, though I've not seen one
                    > in
                    > the flesh. So I knocked up a couple of my own, some are folded brass with
                    > rail slots cut with a dremel and opened with a file-not accurate enough
                    > though, the others are ABS plastic I drew in CAD and had produced.
                    > There are a few photos in the sassafras gully photo album of the yahoo
                    > group. There are two varieties.
                    > If you or anyone else wants some, I could easily be persuaded to run off a
                    > few more, three of the curve types cost me less than a beer.
                    >
                    > And if anyone wants them set for gauge widening to their own values, let
                    > me
                    > know, I can do one-off customs very easily.
                    > Cheers,
                    > Mark K
                    > Sydney

                  • John Clutterbuck
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 12, 2008
                      Hi All,

                      As Mark has said the KB Scale (ex Roy Link) is the best gauge
                      especially as Roy formulated our standards. I use one as my master
                      gauge. However when building track I wanted gauges that would stay put
                      and hold the track whilst the glued spikes dried and therefore made up
                      the ones seen in my articles.

                      They are quite easy to make as long as you take a bit of time.

                      As Frank has suggested firstly make a small length of reference track
                      (e.g. PCB) perfectly to gauge either from caliper measurements or
                      using the aforementioned gauge.

                      Cut a piece 10 thou brass about 20 x 20mm, fold it in half and press
                      flat in a vice. Then using a good quality fine thin needle file cut a
                      shallow slot to fit one rail in the edge opposite the fold. Take your
                      time doing just one or two gentle strokes at a time and continually
                      testing on the rail. Once it fits snugly mark the rail position for
                      the other rail and start a shallow slot in the middle of the marks.
                      Again slowly and gently open it out testing between every stroke or
                      two. Once you get it to fit over both rails then carefully deepen the
                      slots again testing as you go. If you want to use the gauge on
                      pointwork then you need to relieve the metal in between and beyond the
                      slots so you end up with 4 teeth so to speak. Finally open up the ends
                      to you get an inverted V that will sit on the track.

                      If you want a wider gauge for sharp curves then make a wider reference
                      track and make the gauge from that. Don't forget the gauge must be
                      exact 14mm through a point crossing itself.

                      I hope this helps.
                      John
                    • John Clutterbuck
                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 13, 2008
                        I've added a photo of my track gauges in a new album: Johns Trackwork
                        for those who may not have seen my NG&IR Review articles.

                      • adriangrayfr
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 5, 2010
                          Friends,

                          In my capacity as TLO to the 7mmNGA I have been asked a question I cannot answer adequately, so I seek help, please.
                          I apologise for seeking help regarding the GVT gauge but, any port in a storm.....!

                          A correspondent has asked whether I can direct him to 16.5mm gauge track gauges - as a devotee of 14mm gauge I confess I have no idea whether such things exist and, if so where they may be obtained!
                          The enquirer particularly wants a 'block type' to help him build cassettes of the type that David Taylor described in the last Narrow Lines, but I guess that anything might be better than nothing!

                          Replies on or off-list would be welcome.

                          Thanks,

                          Adrian - TLO
                        • George Morris
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 5, 2010
                            Brian Lewis at C&L finescale certainly does Roller gauges for 16.5mm gauge, look under 4mm scale .... I think they cost about £5

                            best from Sweden, George!

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 5, 2010
                              Hi Adrian,
                              Track gauges for 16.5mm there are loads of differant types and styles,ranging from roller to 3 point gauges,3 point gauges are best in pairs,used one opposite way round to the other and ideal for straights and curves,rollers come in two styles for either with or without guard rails/Wings.Then it depends on what type of rail ie code 100 or 75 and the like,i have quite a selection that i have for building track and pointwork,with my gauges coming from Marcway in Sheffield,C&L Finescale,Tram and Light Railway model shop,Alan Gibson,Peco but to name a few along with specials made on the lathe at home,

                              Hope this helps,

                              regards Marc.

                              ________________________________

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 5, 2010
                                Adrian,
                                The 2 links below take you to the 2 types that Kadee market, they're each
                                for different types of rail
                                ie: #341 = code 100 & 70 rail
                                <http://kadee.com/htmbord/page341.htm>
                                #343 = code 100 & 83 rail
                                <http://kadee.com/htmbord/page343.htm>,
                                These type of 3 point gauges are good for setting the gauge slightly wider
                                on curves.

                                Brian Millar
                                Driver Trainer/Accessor
                                Mackay Sugar Limited
                                Qld.Aust.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                                  Adrian,

                                  Rereading your question properly (unusual for me) I assume your correspondent wants to be able to gauge aluminium angle and not rails. What I used for my similar cassettes was some rectangles of reasonably thick (e.g. 1mm) plasticard of about 5cm long and exact gauge width. David screwed his cassettes together but I found contact adhesive good enough.

                                  --- In O14@yahoogroups.com, "adriangrayfr" <adrian@...> wrote:

                                  > Friends,
                                  >
                                  > In my capacity as TLO to the 7mmNGA I have been asked a question I cannot answer adequately, so I seek help, please.
                                  > I apologise for seeking help regarding the GVT gauge but, any port in a storm.....!
                                  >
                                  > A correspondent has asked whether I can direct him to 16.5mm gauge track gauges - as a devotee of 14mm gauge I confess I have no idea whether such things exist and, if so where they may be obtained!
                                  > The enquirer particularly wants a 'block type' to help him build cassettes of the type that David Taylor described in the last Narrow Lines, but I guess that anything might be better than nothing!
                                  >
                                  > Replies on or off-list would be welcome.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks,
                                  >
                                  > Adrian - TLO

                                • adriangrayfr
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                                    Thanks to everyone for their responses.

                                    You may not be surprised to learn that my apparently ignorant question was, in fact, designed to root out a device that I had never seen, if it actually existed, in response to a very specific request from a correspondent.

                                    It seems that what he wants isn't available - roller and 3-point gauges just won't do, but I was genuinely interested to know about gauges in general, so thanks to you all for that information.

                                    It may also come as no surprise to some readers to read that I know all about the simple methods of cassette production, having been taught by their designer, my good friend Chris Pendlenton, of North Shields fame!

                                    I will pass on the plasticard advice, given by David, Frank and David in the hope that the member can make progress.

                                    Thanks again,

                                    Adrian
                                  • Trev
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                                      You may not be surprised to learn that my apparently ignorant question was,
                                      in fact, designed to root out a device that I had never seen, if it actually
                                      existed, in response to a very specific request from a correspondent.

                                      It seems that what he wants isn't available - roller and 3-point gauges just
                                      won't do, but I was genuinely interested to know about gauges in general, so
                                      thanks to you all for that information.

                                      It may also come as no surprise to some readers to read that I know all
                                      about the simple methods of cassette production, having been taught by their
                                      designer, my good friend Chris Pendlenton, of North Shields fame!

                                      I will pass on the plasticard advice, given by David, Frank and David in the
                                      hope that the member can make progress.

                                      Thanks again,

                                      Adrian

                                      How about a tracksetter Strip
                                    • adriangrayfr
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 6, 2010
                                        Trev,

                                        Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for!

                                        Over on the 7mmNGA Group I've just thanked Robin Edwards for reminding me about these, so you deserve the same!
                                        I also lamented the ageing process and told members there that I had been working in the OPC book and model shop when the salesrep first came in to sell these templates as 'the next best thing since flexi-track'!!

                                        Adrian the ageing!