5957Re: [O14] Re: O14 wheelsets

  • David John
    Jul 31 1:47 AM

      Hi Guys

      In his e-mail of 21st July ‘mjm’ asked, “Does anyone have a methodology for mount these [KB Scale] wheels so they are correctly gauged and true?”  I had been hoping that one of the more engineering minded members of this group might rise to the challenge.  So this is a case of fools rush in ...

      I use a vertical drilling machine, but the method work as well with a lathe, milling machine or half decent drill press – mine only cost £25 (quite a few years ago).  All operations are with the power OFF.

      I mount the axle in the chuck for about 1/3 to ½ its length, a quick rotation of the chuck (by hand) will assure you it has been mounted true.

      With the machine vice closed and placed so its vertical grove is directly under the axle end, place a wheel, face up on the top of the vice.  Position it carefully so the pin of the pin-point enters the axle hole in the wheel and press through gently.  As soon as it bites release the downward pressure and rotate the work.  Again you should see everything is true.

      Press down again, pushing the wheel as far on to the axle as the chuck will allow.

      Repeat for the second wheel, this time placed face down on the machine vice.

      With my eyesight problems there is no way I can see clearly the centre of the second-wheel, so remembering the old dodge I looked for something giving ,e a 90 degree angle that I could press against both wheels.  My vee-block was too tall and would not clear the chuck.  By luck I found some 10mm staples from my Staple Gun (10mm staples for 15” wheel, 12mm for 18” wheels).  With the wheel already mounted on the axle lowered so it sits inside the “U” of the staples the loose wheel is pushed firmly against the staples and the axle can be lowered. (Of course, those of you with properly working eyes can skip this Heath-Robinson stuff!)

      Only push the axle home until it bites.  I have recently been mounting a batch of 15” wheels on to 1.5mm x 18mm axles and got to know how far to press by about the third axle.  Do not push it so far home that the wheels touch. The reason for not doing this is that if you apply any pressure to the wheel rims they will slide off – so always try and move the wheel on the axle by applying pressure to the plastic boss rather than the rim. (If I understand correctly, forcing a metal shaft through a tight hole in plastic sets up pressures which take some time to recover; so that the initial grip between hub and axle is fairly weak but it builds up in strength over time.)

      Again give the work a quick turn to check everything is true.

      Remove the piece from the chuck and tweak the metal rims and plastic hubs to make sure everything is ‘home’.  With the 18mm axles I use a piece of card and using pliers pressed flat against the boss to push the wheel down on to the card.  Repeat for the other end.  Then place the wheelset in a back to back gauge and adjust as necessary, (try finding thicker or thinner card and no adjustment is needed).  For the longer axles I use my Wheel Press and that centres the wheel automatically.

      I am not claiming this method is foolproof – although it works for me!  I cannot remember the last time I had to reject a wheelset due to wobble.

      I like to apply a smidgen of thin superglue to the boss-axle joint to future-proof the gauging- over the years some wheelsets seem to wander a little.  The other problem I have had over time is that rims separate from the wheel-bosses and although generally these can be replaced without too much trouble a George England tender with pick-ups does cause some head scratching (and it has happened to both Prince and Princess!)

      I hope this helps.  It works for me and it might even get someone who knows what they are talking about to tell us how to do it properly!

      Cheers

      David