Re: [NyackSocialScene] Can Bush take the heat ??

  • John Kovencz
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2007
      The Journal News spoke their piece on this and here's their opinion which I happen to agree with. We have every right to vent to whoever will listen. The rush to impeach Bill Clinton over the matter of a stain on a blue dress pales in comparison to what this sitting RESIDENT in the White House has done to this country. From the dining room table to Village Hall to the Halls of Congress. Let's send this corporate pandering cowboy back to Texas to do what he's really good at....... clearing brush.

      Weekly weigh-in

      (Original publication: March 31, 2007)

      Since when do local citizens have "no authority" to criticize the country's leadership?
      A group of residents is lobbying the Nyack village board to join dozens of municipalities around the nation and adopt a resolution calling on Congress to impeach President George W. Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney. Group members say the administration lied about pre-war intelligence in Iraq, violated the Geneva Conventions and U.S. laws on prisoner torture, and violated citizens' constitutional rights in various ways.
      Nyack Republican Party Chairman Joseph Brady-Amoon has said the village board has no authority on the matter.
      We beg to differ. While a village board can't institute impeachment hearings, it most certainly can call for such action. The question is whether it should bother, not whether it can.
      The Rockland GOP committee chairman rightly acknowledges the group's right to protest, but points out residents should leave village officials to concentrate on village matters. Yet, if this is what village residents want their village board to do, isn't it then a village matter?
      Should the village board pass this? It depends what happens April 12, when the resolution will be a topic on the village board agenda. Would the resolution, along with the similar actions already taken in Vermont, Oregon, Utah and other states, be effective? Not a chance. But that doesn't mean the Nyack group can't ask its most local of representatives to make the move.

      John Williams <JohnAlfie@...> wrote:
      Courtesy, Journal News :

      NYACK - Some village residents who want President Bush and Vice
      President Dick Cheney impeached aren't taking their protest to the
      halls of Congress. They're going to Village Hall.

      Members of the grass-roots movement in Nyack say that Bush and Cheney
      lied about prewar intelligence in Iraq; illegally conducted
      electronic surveillance and wiretapping; violated the Geneva
      Convention and U.S. law by conspiring to torture prisoners; and
      violated the constitutional rights of citizens by keeping them jailed
      without any charges or opportunity to appear before a judge.

      Organizers say they are frustrated with the current administration
      and want local governments and the state Legislature to help them
      lobby Congress to begin impeachment proceedings.

      "I think the basic idea is that people are feeling frustrated and
      don't know where to turn," said Daniel Strum, an organizer who is a
      registered independent. "This is a movement that's been gaining
      strength around the country."

      If the village Board of Trustees adopted such a memorializing
      resolution, it would join dozens of other municipalities in Vermont,
      Oregon, Utah and other states that have taken or are considering
      similar actions. The board is to discuss the matter April 12.

      David Balsam, another leader with the local protest, said the Bush
      administration has consistently abused its power and falsely used
      information about weapons of mass destruction and the attacks of
      Sept. 11, 2001, as a justification to invade Iraq.

      The Nyack man said he was inspired by the writings of Elizabeth
      Holtzman, a Democrat who sat on the House Judiciary Committee during
      impeachment proceedings against President Richard Nixon. She has
      argued for President Bush's impeachment on the grounds that his
      administration committed high crimes and misdemeanors, the standard
      for removal, and that the administration falsely argued it was in the
      interest of national security.

      "It's really about constitutional accountability for all presidents
      and elected officials," Balsam, a registered Democrat, said
      recently. "I am completely flipped out that checks and balances
      aren't working anymore."

      The draft resolution, which Balsam said was modeled after similar
      ones nationwide - including one in Trumansburg, N.Y. - said that Bush
      and Cheney "conspired with others to defraud the United States"
      by "intentionally misleading Congress and the public regarding the
      threat from Iraq."

      Calls to the White House press office were not returned.

      Rockland Republican Committee Chairman Vincent Reda said the group
      had the right to protest but was "barking up the wrong tree."

      Reda said there were no grounds for impeachment, and that residents
      should take their concerns to Congress rather than the village board.
      He also said Nyack officials should concentrate on important local
      matters.

      "They don't have the clout. They're spinning their wheels," Reda said
      of the board's ability to help start congressional hearings. "The
      village of Nyack should clean their own home before cleaning
      others'. ... There are a multitude of problems there."

      Furthermore, Reda said, it was important for protesters to support
      the troops who are fighting in Iraq and overseas. "Maybe they should
      build a memorial," he said.

      Mayor John Shields said he supported the concept because it could
      send an important message to elected officials, but he wasn't sure
      whether he'd vote for the resolution.

      "I think there are a lot of reasons for impeachment. The question
      is, 'Should it be done?' " said Shields, a Democrat. "My view is a
      little longer range. We're really talking about constitutional issues
      and the establishment of an imperial presidency. ... There are a lot
      of people who are frustrated and don't know what else to do."

      Joseph Brady-Amoon, chairman of the Nyack Republican Party, said the
      president has not acted against national interests and that the
      village board has no authority in the matter.

      Brady-Amoon said the board should focus on more pressing village
      problems like parking, crime, drug prevention, drainage and securing
      state and federal dollars for local projects.

      "Hopefully, the village board would have the wisdom not to engage in
      an ineffective and impotent protestation in something they have no
      jurisdiction in," Brady-Amoon said. "If they actually had some kind
      of facts, the appropriate place is the Congress. ... They're wasting
      taxpayers' money even talking about it."

      Trustee Richard Kavesh, a Democrat, said the board could balance
      local concerns effectively with broader national or regional ones.

      "Talking about this doesn't detract us from other direct village
      business," he said.

      Though Kavesh viewed Bush as one of the most reckless, dangerous and
      arrogant presidents in history, he said it wasn't the right thing to
      do because House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., has said she would
      not initiate such hearings.

      "Do I really want Americans to go after a full impeachment process
      when the guy has 700 days?" Kavesh said. "This isn't going anywhere
      nationally."

      Kavesh also feared that impeachment efforts would hurt the Democratic
      presidential candidates in 2008 because many voters might perceive
      the actions as political payback.

      "I think voters have sent the message to George Bush that they're fed
      up," he said.

      Organizers say it is a local matter because Rocklanders are helping
      pay for the war, which is in the hundreds of billions of dollars,
      according to Congressional Budget Office figures.

      They also say it's not about politics but about the law.

      "I think it's about accountability in government," Balsam said. "If
      it was a Democrat that committed these abuses, I'd be just as
      motivated. ... I'm doing this for very pure reasons. I'm not doing
      this for political reasons."

      in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
      to find your fit.