Re: A few questions regarding town.

  • assesjawbone
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
      JAWBONE OF AN ASS
      September 1, 2006
      Nyack Social Scene:
      Dear James:

      In a word, no. As far as I know there is no specific website or blog
      that does what you suggest.
      The Village is made up of the Village board, our elected officials,
      the local "Land Use Boards" Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals,
      and Architectural Review Board. Then there is the semi autonomous
      Water Dept and its Board of Commissioners and finally the Housing
      Authority and the Parking Authority. These last two are actually State
      Authorities with the same standing as the Bridge and Tunnel Authority
      and the Power Authority, They're just dealing with local issues. Oh
      Yeah, and the Joint Nyack Fire district which controls all volunteer
      firefighting organizations encompassing all eight separate fire
      companies from South Nyack to Upper Nyack, but not Central or West Nyack.
      Except for the Village board all of these organizations are made up of
      citizens who volunteer their time to serve in the interests of the
      community. Even though they are paid a stipend the Village board is
      basically Volunteer IMHO because whatever it is they get paid, it's
      either not enough for some and way too much for some others, you pick.
      As to your question about the awarding of contracts and such like for
      development projects you need to follow the money. As far as I know,
      since the Claremont project landed a large pink cinderblock on our
      shores there have been no allegations of influence peddling in the
      Village that I know of. You're going to have to do some research there
      to learn the history of that project which allegedly bankrupted a
      local union and lined some pockets in an oh-dark-thirty meeting of the
      planning board. But that is now ancient history.
      What is new is that the developers of Claremont are now in line before
      the planning board for Claremont Phase two which will likely add
      another pink cinderblock to our waterfront. There is also the Blue
      Gate Development which is seeking high density luxury housing in the
      old Pavion site on the border of Nyack and South Nyack.
      The minutes of these land use boards are published, sporadically, on
      Nyack's home website and all the members of the boards are pretty
      accessible daily if you have questions regarding the agendas before
      the boards. There is (was) a copy of the Comp Plan in the library, if
      not you can pick one up in the Village Hall.
      Hope this helps
      Sincerely
      Jawbone of an Ass

      --- In NyackSocialScene@yahoogroups.com, James Hoch <hochjames@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Is there a website that monitors Nyack politicians
      > and maps the beneficiaries of development projects?
      > What I am looking for is a way to figure out how
      > decisions are made and who benefits from these
      > decisions
      > both in public and private spheres. Does Nyack
      > have some sort of blogging watchdog that keeps
      > elected officials accountable?
      >
      > Also, what is happening with the playground in the
      > park?
      > Does some kid have to impale him/herself in order to
      > get a project done? And the field looks ill, unkempt.
      > Can someone
      > explain why a town with so much cash can't fix the
      > infrastructure
      > they have? Does anyone have vision? Or is everything
      > sort of shooting
      > from the hip into some brother's uncle's pocket?
      >
      > JH
      >
      > ps. glad for the new poetry book.
      >

      > --- assesjawbone <assesjawbone@...> wrote:
      >
      > > August 31, 2006
      > > Nyack Social Scene
      > >
      > > philistine: often not capitalized a : a person who
      > > is guided by
      > > materialism and is usually disdainful of
      > > intellectual or artistic
      > > values b : one uninformed in a special area of
      > > knowledge.
      > > In this case I'd go with b.
      > > It's not personal, smiting philistines is a dark,
      > > dirty, thankless,
      > > job but somebody has to do it.
      > > I agree with Johnny Silver in theory about this
      > > forum being a venue
      > > for discussion of these issues. In practice it is
      > > not without its
      > > inherent pitfalls. The main one being the discussion
      > > can degenerate
      > > into an exercise in sophistry with specious
      > > arguments replacing
      > > rational ones. It's very hard to determine the
      > > truth. It's very easy
      > > on the other hand to whip up a frenzied witch hunt
      > > with smoke and
      > > mirrors.
      > > Don't get me wrong I like Joe. I feel he is
      > > misguided. It's
      > > unfortunate that he intends to base his position on
      > > a studied
      > > ignorance of the facts. These "facts" he then can
      > > willfully
      > > misrepresent in this forum. I am not going to
      > > elaborate here but
      > > simply reiterate what I have said about maintaining
      > > a healthy
      > > skepticism of anything Joe claims as facts. He is
      > > simply a good
      > > advocate doing what good advocates do.
      > > More news at 11.
      > > Sincerely,
      > > Jawbone of an Ass

      > http://mail.yahoo.com

    • assesjawbone
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2006
        Sorry I forgot to include:
        The Villags budget is also public information and you can get a copy
        of that too in The Village hall if you are interested to see where the
        money goes. The treasurer John Cincotta is a nice guy and will answer
        specific questions. The Village is actually not flush with cash as you
        suggest and I agree the infrastructure as you call it does not seem to
        be high on the list of priorities but thats for a later post.