Re: [NyackSocialScene] Tom Cruise

  • aidyn@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
      Funny,...

      I was looking at it from a different perspective.

      Even the big, broken clock along Nyack's Main Street is correct twice a day.

      Although Tom Cruise's rant does seem similar to any other evangelical religious fundamentalist,...

      perhaps this has shown a light on the continual abuse of our over-prescriptive psychiatry system we have here in the US.

      ...And the only reason I would ban a Tom Cruise movie, is cause he is an awful actor.

      paz, michael

    • ko10960
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2005
        Whoopee.

        Hooray for you.

        Keep your stupid socio-political comments off the "NSS"
      • Richard Brand, MD
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2005
          Michael, I did not recommend a ban, just a personal decision to boycott his
          movies.

          While under-whelmed by his brilliance in interviews (ie The Actor's Studio,
          last year), I enjoy Tom Cruise's acting. I'm just an unsophisticated guy
          who enjoys the action. Many movie insider types agree with you. I've always
          assumed it was professional jealousy, but I'm not an expert.

          On your second point, Psychiatry both over prescribes and under-prescribes.
          When someone who needs a medication does not get one, it is as wrong as
          when someone who does not need one has one prescribed. As a rule,
          psychiatrists who perform thorough evaluations will get it right more often
          than those who perform the ten minute med-eval preferred by some non-MD
          psychotherapists and insurance companies.

          Your drive-by comment about "the continual abuse of our over-prescriptive
          psychiatry system," is biased on its face and passes neither the smell test
          nor the government statistics on mental health utilization. I may regret
          asking, but I was curious how, against all odds and a century of medical
          knowledge, you arrived at your conclusion.

          Rick

          At 09:21 AM 7/1/05 -0400, you wrote:
          >Funny,...
          >
          >I was looking at it from a different perspective.
          >
          >Even the big, broken clock along Nyack's Main Street is correct twice a day.
          >
          >Although Tom Cruise's rant does seem similar to any other evangelical
          >religious fundamentalist,...
          >
          >perhaps this has shown a light on the continual abuse of our
          >over-prescriptive psychiatry system we have here in the US.
          >
          >...And the only reason I would ban a Tom Cruise movie, is cause he is an
          >awful actor.
          >
          >paz, michael

          [ Richard David Brand, M.D. ]
          [ Adult & Adolescent Psychiatry Assocs., P.C. ]
          [ 120 N. Main street New City, NY 10956-3717 ]
          [ (845)638-2626 rdb@... ]
          [_______________________________________]
        • Mark Hershberger
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2005
            In my ignorant opinion, I think you're probably right about the over/under medicated situation. This whole Tom Cruise hullaballo shouldn't be a surprise though. Cruise has claimed Scientology has cured his dislexia and now he's claiming Scientology methods are better for depresion without offering proof or examples in either case. He's been a Scientologist for decades, so his recent public behavior should not be a surprise. Scientology has has never not been anti-psychiatry.

            My take on the whole thing is that I'll continue to see Tom Cruise movies as long as they don't suck. And Tom Cruise is just showing who he is after countless celebrity fluff interviews. He seems to be acting like someone who has not done this for 20 something years. He's acting like Russel Crowe (but without the violence) a guy who doesn't understand the importance of maintaining a likeable public persona, even if its made out of wholecloth. Cruise is setting himself up for a fall. Stand back and watch the flame out.

            Mark Hershberger

            "Richard Brand, MD" <rdb@...> wrote:
            Michael, I did not recommend a ban, just a personal decision to boycott his
            movies.

            While under-whelmed by his brilliance in interviews (ie The Actor's Studio,
            last year), I enjoy Tom Cruise's acting. I'm just an unsophisticated guy
            who enjoys the action. Many movie insider types agree with you. I've always
            assumed it was professional jealousy, but I'm not an expert.

            On your second point, Psychiatry both over prescribes and under-prescribes.
            When someone who  needs a medication does not get one, it is as wrong as
            when someone who does not need one has one prescribed. As a rule,
            psychiatrists who perform thorough evaluations will get it right more often
            than those who perform the ten minute med-eval preferred by some non-MD
            psychotherapists and insurance companies.

            Your drive-by comment about "the continual abuse of our over-prescriptive
            psychiatry system," is biased on its face and passes neither the smell test
            nor the government statistics on mental health utilization. I may regret
            asking, but I was curious how, against all odds and a century of medical
            knowledge, you arrived at your conclusion.

            Rick

            At 09:21 AM 7/1/05 -0400, you wrote:
            >Funny,...
            >
            >I was looking at it from a different perspective.
            >
            >Even the big, broken clock along Nyack's Main Street is correct twice a day.
            >
            >Although Tom Cruise's rant does seem similar to any other evangelical
            >religious fundamentalist,...
            >
            >perhaps this has shown a light on the continual abuse of our
            >over-prescriptive psychiatry system we have here in the US.
            >
            >...And the only reason I would ban a Tom Cruise movie, is cause he is an
            >awful actor.
            >
            >paz, michael

            [             Richard David Brand, M.D.                 ]
            [ Adult & Adolescent Psychiatry Assocs., P.C. ]
            [ 120 N. Main street  New City, NY 10956-3717 ]
            [             (845)638-2626  rdb@...             ]
            [_______________________________________]

            Yahoo! Mail

          • Andy Toomey
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 5, 2005
              Nyack Social Scene.

              Tom Cruise/Psychiatry.

              Connection?

              --- Mark Hershberger <mlhershb2@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > >religious fundamentalist,...
              > >
              > >perhaps this has shown a light on the continual
              > abuse of our
              > >over-prescriptive psychiatry system we have here in
              > the US.
              > >
              > >...And the only reason I would ban a Tom Cruise
              > movie, is cause he is an
              > >awful actor.
              > >
              > >paz, michael

              > [ Richard David Brand, M.D.
              > ]
              > [ Adult & Adolescent Psychiatry Assocs., P.C. ]
              > [ 120 N. Main street New City, NY 10956-3717 ]
              > [ (845)638-2626 rdb@...
              > ]
              > [_______________________________________]

              > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > Yahoo! Mail
              > Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the
              tour

              __________________________________
              Yahoo! Mail
            • Richard Brand, MD
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 5, 2005
                Mark, Cruise has dug himself a hole, and has neither the humility nor wit
                to relinquish the shovel. When another is making a fool of himself, it is
                often wisest to get out of the way and let him.

                Rick

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 5, 2005
                  Yeah, another miscalculation on his part seems to be the firing of his long time publicist and hire his sister, also a Scientologist, who apparently believes no publicilty is bad publicity.

                  You could say, he's on Cruise Control!!! Ha! I go a million of 'em, everyone a winner!

                  Mark Hershberger

                  Yahoo! Sports