Bush Presidential Inauguration

  • Maga Shaw
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
      I just read in today's Times that "The Presidential Inaugural Comittee raised more than $5.5 million this week, bringing the total up to $13.3 million..."

      I read this and felt very sad and angry.  Wouldn't this money be better spent in helping the victims of the horrible tragedy in Asia?

      The Inauguration should be canceled, but I wouldn't count on that happening.

      Just my thoughts...

      Jake

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • Schutz/Mattern

        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2005
          In light of recent admonitions I don't know whether this topic is
          appropriate on this list, but, in any event, I respectfully disagree with
          the writer.

          The idea that we must divert all attention away from fun and obsess
          exclusively on tragedy, has also found its way into some news articles
          railing against tourists on the beaches in Fuckit (Phuket) who were being a
          trifle pissy about the services there this week. My guess is that the
          locals would rather the tourists came with their money to keep the economy
          flowing rather than be greeted by a throng of mournful Buddhist monks
          chanting about the tragedy.

          When a suicide bomber strikes in Israel, that small nation prides itself on
          cleaning up the blood stains, putting the structure back together and going
          about life as usual, rather than dwelling on the tragedy. Well, so should
          we, including the inauguration. If this was Clinton, nobody would say a
          word. It's another Bush-bash.

          I wonder how much personal money the complainer diverted from his New Years
          celebration to send to the relief effort? Let he who is without sin throw
          the first stone.

          Rick

          At 04:43 PM 1/1/05 -0500, Schutz/Mattern wrote:
          >It certainly should be toned down in the light of current events... but
          >you still have to inaugurate the president (much as I may not like
          >him). They could just relax and cancel much of the accompanying hoopla...

          [ Richard David Brand, M.D. ]
          [ Adult & Adolescent Psychiatry Assocs., P.C. ]
          [ 120 N. Main street New City, NY 10956-3717 ]
          [ (845)638-2626 rdb@... ]
          [_______________________________________]
        • Maga Shaw
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 2, 2005
            Rick,

            Thanks for your commets...

            I disagree with you that this is just another "Bush-bash" (I do however disagree with Bush on almost all of his policys, Terrorism, Iraq, the Enviornment, etc).

            I think that when over 140,000 people die in a natural disaster, we (our Government) are moraly obligated to lend a helping hand, and to curb our excessive spending (we should be doing that anyway)...

            Do you really think $13.3 Million dollars needs to be spent on a ceremony?

            In my opinion, as stated, he should cancel it.  That is my opinion.  Anyway, how much money has already been spent on Iraq?  400 + Billion?  In my opinion, this is a total waste.

            As far as your comments "Let he who is without sin throw the first stone." - If expressing my opinion is a sin, then you caught me.  I'm a sinner.

            Jake

            http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Frank K
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
              As a user of NSS, I just wish you all would keep this stuff off of this
              newsgroup.
              I getting tired of having to sift through email after email that has nothing
              to do with the NSS.

              "Richard Brand, MD" <rdb@...> wrote:
              In light of recent admonitions I don't know whether this topic is
              appropriate on this list, but, in any event, I respectfully disagree with
              the writer.

              The idea that we must divert all attention away from fun and obsess
              exclusively on tragedy, has also found its way into some news articles
              railing against tourists on the beaches in Fuckit (Phuket) who were being a
              trifle pissy about the services there this week. My guess is that the
              locals would rather the tourists came with their money to keep the economy
              flowing rather than be greeted by a throng of mournful Buddhist monks
              chanting about the tragedy.

              When a suicide bomber strikes in Israel, that small nation prides itself on
              cleaning up the blood stains, putting the structure back together and going
              about life as usual, rather than dwelling on the tragedy. Well, so should
              we, including the inauguration. If this was Clinton, nobody would say a
              word. It's another Bush-bash.

              I wonder how much personal money the complainer diverted from his New Years
              celebration to send to the relief effort? Let he who is without sin throw
              the first stone.

              Rick

              At 04:43 PM 1/1/05 -0500, Schutz/Mattern wrote:
              >It certainly should be toned down in the light of current events... but
              >you still have to inaugurate the president (much as I may not like
              >him). They could just relax and cancel much of the accompanying hoopla...

            • Linda Pistolesi
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 3, 2005
                I think it's fine to celebrate the president's inauguration, but in a
                time of war and global tragedy, a some restraint on spending would be
                appropriate.

                Just to add another spin on the huge inauguration budget, here is an
                admittedly slanted exerpt from the NY Times magazine interview with
                the chairwoman of the Presidential Inaugural Committee.

                I hear one of the balls will be reserved for troops who have served
                in Iraq or Afghanistan.

                Yes, the Commander-in-Chief Ball. That is new. It will be about 2,000
                servicemen and their guests. And that should be a really fun event
                for them.

                As an alternative way of honoring them, did you or the president ever
                discuss canceling the nine balls and using the $40 million inaugural
                budget to purchase better equipment for the troops?

                http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/02/magazine/02QUESTIONS.html

                Linda I. Pistolesi

                Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
                61 Route 9W
                206b Geoscience
                Palisades, NY 10964-8000

                lip1@...

                (845)365-8799

                Nobody made a greater mistake than the one who did
                nothing because they could only do a little.
                -Edmund Burke
              • Alyson C. Chin

                  "Richard Brand, MD" <rdb@...> wrote:
                  In light of recent admonitions I don't know whether this topic is
                  appropriate on this list, but, in any event, I respectfully disagree with
                  the writer.

                  The idea that we must divert all attention away from fun and obsess
                  exclusively on tragedy, has also found its way into some news articles
                  railing against tourists on the beaches in Fuckit (Phuket) who were being a
                  trifle pissy about the services there this week. My guess is that the
                  locals would rather the tourists came with their money to keep the economy
                  flowing rather than be greeted by a throng of mournful Buddhist monks
                  chanting about the tragedy.

                  When a suicide bomber strikes in Israel, that small nation prides itself on
                  cleaning up the blood stains, putting the structure back together and going
                  about life as usual, rather than dwelling on the tragedy. Well, so should
                  we, including the inauguration. If this was Clinton, nobody would say a
                  word. It's another Bush-bash.

                  I wonder how much personal money the complainer diverted from his New Years
                  celebration to send to the relief effort? Let he who is without sin throw
                  the first stone.

                  Rick

                  At 04:43 PM 1/1/05 -0500, Schutz/Mattern wrote:
                  >It certainly should be toned down in the light of current events... but
                  >you still have to inaugurate the president (much as I may not like
                  >him). They could just relax and cancel much of the accompanying hoopla...

                  From The Desk Of...

                  Alyson Cristina Chin  http://www.geocities.com/HockeyGrl88/Home.html

                  Do you Yahoo!?