From the NGO room - NGOs present to Diplomats

  • John Hallam
    Message 1 of 1 , May 2, 2012
      I have just left the M1 conference room, in which NGOs have spent the time from 3-5.30pm giving presentations to the diplomats.

      A number of impassioned presentations were made, opened by Hibakusha, and closed by Susi Snyder, and including a youth presentation from an Italian and a Pakistani young person, and in order of randmomness, John Loretz, Alyn Ware, Cesar Jarmillo, Tilman Ruff, and others.

      All are availableon the RCW website.

      In no particular order, consequences of large-scale use of nuclear weapons were laid out by Dr Tilman Ruff, whose presentation also included material on accidental nuclear war, the nuclear fuel cycle as a whole, and environmental impacts of both civil and military fuel cycles, Cesar Jarmillo sketched out a series of immediate steps that are required including de-alerting.

      Our presentations I believe, also reflected (and welcomed) the increasing focus on  'catastrophic humanitarian consequences'.

      I believe we managed successfuly to inject a sense of urgency, as well as to sketch a path towards a nuclear weapons - free world that should have happened yesterday, or rather, about 30 years ago.

      I am convinced that our efforts have an effect on the diplomats present. Whether governments at home are listening is a rather different story, thugh even there we are undoubtedly having an impact.

      So far there is no particular indication of what may come out of the prepcom, though delegates exude confidence and goodvibes. We'l see in the second week the real direction things are going.

      John Hallam