Birthday Message from Leonard Peltier

  • contact@whoisleonardpeltier.info
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2010
      September 6, 2010

      Sisters, brothers, friends and supporters,

      I wish I could sit across the table from each of you right now. We'd
      share a meal and reflect on changes in this world over these 35 or so
      years. Yes, I pay attention to things on the outside (as much as
      possible). I know the world is in turmoil and I ache for the Native
      people who languish in utter poverty on reservations and in inner
      cities across America.

      As a young man, all I wanted to do was make a positive difference in
      the People's lives. I'll turn 66 years old next week and I still
      want that. It's difficult to have an impact in my current
      circumstances, though. That's a constant source of frustration for
      me. On the outside, given the chance to roll up my sleeves once
      again, I suspect I'd still be somewhat frustrated. All that must be
      done is more than any one person can accomplish. I'd still like the
      opportunity to do my part.

      Thinking back to those days on Pine Ridge, what I remember is the
      funerals. There were so many funerals... So many families lost loved ones.

      There was a powerful force at work on the reservation back then, one
      with a single purpose--to stamp out the last resistance of the Lakota people.

      We (the Oglala traditionals and members of the American Indian
      Movement) stood up because we were trying to defend our People. It
      was the right thing to do. We had--have--the right to survive.

      The land was being stolen, too, used for mining mostly. No thought
      was given to the disposal of toxic waste. The rivers were full of
      poisons. Not much has changed, I hear.

      In those days, though, the reservation was torn apart by a tribal
      dispute and the federal government armed one group against another.
      The result was a long line of tragedies for the People of Pine Ridge,
      and for the People who were there that day in June 1975.

      I honestly understand the pain and anguish suffered by all concerned
      and I have been part of that suffering.

      I have watched people lie on the witness stand countless times and
      felt the doors closing on me.

      I have heard judges admonish prosecutors for allowing false evidence
      in and, in some cases, for participating in the falsification itself.

      The government hid evidence, too.

      Or manufactured it. Literally.

      The courts say none of this is even in dispute anymore. So I wonder,
      if the American standard of justice is still "beyond a reasonable
      doubt," why am I still here?

      Some people have had their convictions overturned because of one
      constitutional violation. The number of constitutional violations in
      my case is staggering. Yet, I continue to wait here for the same
      justice to be applied for me.

      I hope that someday someone can put it all on the table and show the
      enormity of the railroading I have been victimized by.

      Last year, as you know, my parole was denied. That was a
      disappointment, but I am not defeated. My fight for freedom--for my
      People and myself--is not over. I am a pipe carrier and a
      Sundancer. Abandoning The Struggle is not--never will be--a consideration.

      I am an Indian man and proud of it. I love my People and culture and
      spiritual beliefs. My enemies like to suggest otherwise and seek to
      rob me of all dignity. They won't succeed.

      When I look back over all the years, I remember all the good people
      who have stood up for me, for a day or a decade. Of course, many have
      stayed with me all along the way. I think of the hundreds of
      thousands of people around the world who have signed petitions for
      me, too... people on the poorest of reservations to the highest of
      political offices.

      As we have learned over these many years, my freedom won't come
      quickly or easily. To succeed, the coming battle will have to be
      hard fought. Please continue to help my Committee and legal team as
      you have always done. Your support is more important now than ever
      before. When freedom comes, it will be due in no small part to the
      actions you take on my behalf.

      Again, thank you for remembering me. You can't know the comfort you
      bring to an innocent man locked away from the world for so very long.

      Doksha,

      Leonard Peltier
      #89637-132
      USP-Lewisburg
      US Penitentiary
      PO Box 1000
      Lewisburg, PA 17837

      -----

      Launched into cyberspace by the
      Leonard Peltier Defence Offense Committee
      PO Box 7488, Fargo, ND 58106
      Phone: 701/235-2206
      Fax: 701/235-5045
      E-mail: contact@...

      Visit http://www.whoisleonardpeltier.info

      Follow us on MySpace, Facebook and Twitter.