How Do I Setup Notetab Pro for Article Writing?

  • articles4traders
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2014
      In a word processor, like Word, a blank line follows each paragraph making it easy to see separation between paragraphs when printed.

      In HTML, the same effect is done using the P tags.

      When I press return after a paragraph in Notetab Pro (or any text editor for that matter), it just moves the cursor to the very next line under. This is of course what we want a text editor to do, but how do I set Notetab to display a blank line following my paragraphs while I'm writing my articles without of course adding any unwanted formatting characters?

      In the end, I want to be able to COPY and PASTE this text into a blog or article submission site.

      Right now, I write a paragraph with Word Wrap turned on and when done press ENTER. Then I have to press ENTER again to give me an extra line so 'visually' I see the separation of paragraphs. But if I were to copy and paste this into a submission form, it will add additional spacing in the HTML form when displayed which is not desirable, but it is only reacting to the extra ENTER I've added.

      Hope this makes sense.

      Any suggestions?

      TIA

    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 27, 2014
        Interviewed by CNN on 27/03/2014 13:28, rixtertrader@... told the
        world:

        > In a word processor, like Word, a blank line follows each paragraph
        > making it easy to see separation between paragraphs when printed.

        Short answer: you don't, but it doesn't matter anyway.

        Long answer:

        The "blank line" in Word and HTML is not a real line. It's a margin,
        created by formatting rules. Word default formatting is to leave a bit
        of blank space before and after each paragraph. HTML default formatting
        is usually similar.

        The important thing is not the blank line, is that whatever software is
        able to tell paragraphs apart. Word defines a paragraph break as
        anywhere you hit "enter". and it will show that break (if you enable
        hidden-character display, that is) as a special symbol called "pilcrow."

        In HTML, the <p> marks the beginning of a paragraph and the </p> marks
        its end. Anything in between (in a well-formed HTML document, that is)
        is assumed to be a paragraph.

        Notetab is a plaintext editor -- by design, it *does not* offer *any*
        formatting capability. And that's as it should be. There are good
        reasons for that.

        In plaintext, identifying a paragraph can be a little tricky, because
        many people use "hard" line breaks (hitting [enter] when a line is about
        70 characters long) instead of letting the program wrap the line
        automatically. There's a reason for that: many pieces of software don't
        handle automatic line wrapping very well. So authors got into the habit
        of hitting [enter] TWICE when opening a new paragraph (like we old
        codgers used to do in typewriters), leaving a (real) blank line between
        paragraphs.

        The thing is, if you take a text formatted in this way (for instance,
        this e-mail you are reading now) and copy/paste it into Word, you will
        find that you have an extra empty paragraph between every two
        paragraphs. Because for Word, a "line" is the same as a paragraph.

        So, if you want to create text in Notetab and then copying it into
        another product like Word, you are probably better off *not* inserting
        that extra blank line between paragraphs.

        --
        MCBastos

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my Casio wristwatch.