Issues with NTP installation routine

  • mycroftj
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 12, 2014
      Does anyone besides myself have a problem with the installation routine? I just bumped into my second problem with it.

      I use the /USER and /INI options on the command line. These options must be set in windows after installation and associated with all extensions that cause NT to automatically open when those file types are clicked such as txt, otl, ini, etc.

      Everything works fine until NT is reinstalled for some reason. This could be for an update or to install on a flash drive. When reinstalled, the command line options for txt (and maybe others) are lost so that I have to manually reenter the /USER and /INI parameters.

      Worse is that I just installed NT on a flash drive and this reset my file associates not only as mentioned above, but pointed to drive K (my flash drive).  Now, when I click a txt file, nothing happens since the flash drive has been removed and K:\notetab\notepro.exe does not exist. I had to reset the txt file associations on my PC back to where NT resides on drive C. This was surprisingly difficult since the "Open With" dialog did NOT work. (I selected NT on my C drive and the selection simply did not "take". I use Windows 7). I had to use a 3rd party program to change the settings.

      If there is a way around this I would like to know. Otherwise, it is something to watch out for since NT will seem to stop working or work incorrectly in some cases. Or is it an issue that should be addressed?

      Joy

    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 12, 2014

        You can set NoteTab so all its files are with it, and the registry is not used. That is how I use it. If I were to copy the NoteTab folder to another drive, even a thumb drive, it would work just fine. All I would need on the desktop is a separate icon for the thumb drive version. I don't know about using command line strings, but it seems to me that if passed to the thumb-drive version, it would work.

        Regards,
        John
        RecipeTools Web Site: http://recipetools.gotdns.com/recipetools/

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 12, 2014
          Interviewed by CNN on 12/03/2014 15:03, mycroftj@... told the world:

          > Does anyone besides myself have a problem with the installation
          > routine? I just bumped into my second problem with it.
          >
          > I use the /USER and /INI options on the command line. These options
          > must be set in windows after installation and associated with all
          > extensions that cause NT to automatically open when those file types
          > are clicked such as txt, otl, ini, etc.
          >
          > Everything works fine until NT is reinstalled for some reason. This
          > could be for an update or to install on a flash drive. When
          > reinstalled, the command line options for txt (and maybe others) are
          > lost so that I have to manually reenter the /USER and /INI parameters.
          >
          > Worse is that I just installed NT on a flash drive and this reset my
          > file associates not only as mentioned above, but pointed to drive K
          > (my flash drive). Now, when I click a txt file, nothing happens since
          > the flash drive has been removed and K:\notetab\notepro.exe does not
          > exist. I had to reset the txt file associations on my PC back to where
          > NT resides on drive C. This was surprisingly difficult since the "Open
          > With" dialog did NOT work. (I selected NT on my C drive and the
          > selection simply did not "take". I use Windows 7). I had to use a 3rd
          > party program to change the settings.
          >
          > If there is a way around this I would like to know. Otherwise, it is
          > something to watch out for since NT will seem to stop working or work
          > incorrectly in some cases. Or is it an issue that should be addressed?

          I wouldn't (and I didn't) run the installer to put a copy of Notetab in
          a flash drive, _exactly_ because I _don't_ want it modifying the Windows
          configurations. Instead, when I want to have Notetab on a flash drive, I
          simply copy the Notetab folder from the "Program Files" folder. Then, I
          drop to command-line and run Notetab from the flash drive with the /USB
          switch -- once. That makes the necessary changes to the notepro.ini so
          NT now works in "portable mode."

          I imagine you are using the /USER and /INI switches to force Notetab to
          use a different profile folder. Personally, other than for portable use,
          I didn't find any particular advantage in doing so in my regular Windows
          desktop -- I'm one of the few voices here who applauded moving user
          preferences from the program folder to %APPDATA% -- but everybody's
          needs are different, I guess.

          --
          MCBastos

          -=-=-