RE: [NorthernStateHistoricalSociety] Re: My Mother

  • Mark Rowland
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 28, 2012
      I had a great uncle who worked at the hospital per the 1920 census. Do you know if there are any personal records.

      Thanks,

      Mark Rowland

      To: NorthernStateHistoricalSociety@yahoogroups.com
      From: judi_holmes@...
      Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 20:23:23 +0000
      Subject: [NorthernStateHistoricalSociety] Re: My Mother

      Hello Barbara,

      My name is Judy Torfin and I am the Administrative Assistant at the old Northern State Hospital (now known as North Cascade Gateway Center). I am the keeper of the cemetery records and history of the hospital. The patient records were archived in Bellingham when the hospital closed. The contact person for access is:

      Dennis W. Malmer, Certification Section Supervisor
      Washington State Division of Behavioral Health and Recovery
      Telephone (360) 725-3747, Fax (360) 586-0343
      DASA Toll free number 1-877-301-4557
      E-mail: malmedw@...
      DASA Website: http://www.dshs.wa.gov/dasa

      Please contact him for information you are looking for. I have a small museum here on the campus if you are interested in seeing what it was like when your mother was here. The campus itself is closed due to private tenants that lease here. We are however having the 100 year anniversary of the hospital opening. It will be taking place Sept. 15-18 and all are welcome to come and visit and find out about the hospital.

      I am also interested in if anyone has old letters, newspapers, crafts, etc that they would like to let me scan or they would like to donate to the Northern State Hospital Museum. Please feel free to contact me also if you need more information.

      Judy Torfin, North Cascades Gateway Center, 360-856-3162