Re: [NorthernStateHistoricalSociety] Employees of Hospital

  • dona vanvoorst
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2 6:08 PM

      Happy May Day!

      My name is Dona VanVoorst.  My email is:  aurush@oakharbor  I am not a member of the "society".  Rather, I was a student nurse there in 1970-71.  Returned there in 1982-1994 when it was called "PORTAL".  Amazingly, I have no personal photos or newspaper clipping regarding the hospital. My only role is to contribute information to the to the Northern State Hospital Cemetery.  Currently this endeavor is in a sad state of affairs.  Of the 2,000+ burials, only 60 are documented.

      Although native to Sedro-Woolley, sadly - I did not know your great grandparents.  For the most part, photos and chippings are in private collections.  In this regard, I suggest you write a letter to the editor of the Courier-Times, in Sedro-Woolleyand/or the Skagit Valley Herald in Mount Vernon.  With the exception of Noel Boursaw, most of the "good" local historians are all gone.

      If you choose to pursue this projectm I support you.  After 28 years as a State employee, I'm now 64 year old stroke survivor in a wheelchair.  Folks need to preserve the past before those of us who remember are all gone.

      Hoping to hear from you in the future. ~ Dona Jensen-VanVoorst

      From: dona vanvoorst <aurush@...>
      To: NorthernStateHistoricalSociety@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, April 29, 2011, 5:19 PM

      Hi there - Glad to hear from you.  I know a little bit about the history of NSH.  Pictures - inless you know someone who worked there - a relative etc. . . pics a hard to come by.  Noel Boursaw, Editor of the "Skagit River Journal, might be of help with story lines..  There may also be be references to "NSH" on Washington State Archives Online.  Please help me understand the nature of your request.  Hope to hear from you.
      D. J. VanVoorst