AP -- Ex-volunteers angry at Peace Corps Bolivia pullout

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2008

      Ex-volunteers angry at Peace Corps Bolivia pullout

      By ANDREW WHALEN, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 32 minutes ago

      It took Ellen Arnstein the better part of two years to win the trust of the people of Camargo, a farming town of 5,000 in southeastern Bolivia.

      The mayor agreed to partially fund the Peace Corps volunteer's proposal to have children plant fruit trees at their school. Arnstein, 27, was about to be interviewed by a local TV crew when she got the call: The Peace Corps was pulling all 113 of its volunteers out of Bolivia.

      "I just started crying. I was like, I don't want to go!" recalled Arnstein, a native of Monroe, N.Y., as she sat in a cafe in Lima, Peru. She is among more than 70 volunteers who left the Corps, having nearly completed their two-year stints, rather than start over in a different country.

      The hasty pullout came directly on the heels of Bolivian President Evo Morales' Sept. 10 expulsion of the U.S. ambassador for allegedly inciting opposition protests. Arnstein was among disappointed volunteers who believe their government overreacted, hurting U.S. interests with the blanket withdrawal. True, some parts of Bolivia were dangerously unstable, but most volunteers felt no security threat, several told The Associated Press.

      "Peace Corps, unfortunately, has become another weapon in the U.S. diplomatic arsenal," said Sarah Nourse, 27, of Mechanicsville, Md., another volunteer who opted out.

      Nourse had been developing trash management projects in a small town in the eastern state of Santa Cruz, the center of opposition to the leftist Morales. She questioned the wisdom of depriving Bolivians of a rare firsthand opportunity to weigh Morales' anti-U.S. rhetoric against real Americans.

      The top U.S. diplomat for Latin America, Thomas Shannon, told The Associated Press that security was the only reason behind the "saddening" pullout.

      "We don't politicize the Peace Corps," he said.

      "Remember, the Bolivians on at least two occasions that I'm aware of said that they thought the Peace Corps was part of a larger intelligence network that they thought we had constructed in Bolivia. Those kind of statements we find very worrisome," Shannon said.

      In fact, a U.S. Embassy security officer suggested to a group of Peace Corps volunteers during a briefing last year that they report any sightings of Venezuelan or Cuban activists. After the incident was publicized, the embassy said the officer had not been authorized to make such a request and he left the country.

      Currently, 2,174 of the Peace Corps' 8,079 worldwide volunteers work in Latin America and the Caribbean. They are based in 21 countries in the region.

      Honduras and Nicaragua have the largest presence with 194 volunteers each. They are followed by:

      _The Dominican Republic: 193

      _Paraguay: 187

      _Guatemala: 184

      _El Salvador: 175

      _Panama: 174

      _Peru: 168

      _Ecuador: 155.

      ___

      Associated Press writer Frank Bajak in Colombia contributed to this report.