Hearts and Hammers 2008, September 20ty

  • chapinr75081
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 15 1:55 PM
      Grab your paintbrushes, scrapers, ladders and a bundle of energy and
      get ready for HEARTS AND HAMMERS 2008! We will once again celebrate
      our commitment to sharing our skills with others and making the world
      a better place on our workday, Saturday September 20, 2008, 7:30am.
      Hearts and Hammers is an all volunteer organization founded by Dallas
      RPCV Bob Walker in 1984 to assist elderly and disabled Dallas
      homeowners. Throughout the year the H&H Planning Council works with
      the City of Dallas to identify homeowners who need assistance to keep
      their homes' exteriors within city code. H&H gathers materials,
      volunteer teams and resources, each team chooses a house and does the
      needed-and much appreciated work-once a year on workday.

      This year we are in South Dallas. Our N. Texas Peace Corps
      Association house is located at 2722 Exeter., Dallas 75216. Our
      homeowner Rosie Williams, 82, and her daughter lives with her. Mrs.
      Williams has lived in the house for over 40 years, and is very
      appreciative for our volunteer assistance. We need 20-25 RPCVs and
      friends to do this work.
      The work the house needs is straightforward and much needed-scrape,
      paint, replace rotted wood, build a handrail, etc. We will need a
      full crew of 20-25 folks, and if you feel you don't have any technical
      skills please come because you will learn on the job and have a
      fulfilling time.
      I'm continuing to seek free lunch for us all-but if not we'll buy it
      in the neighborhood somewhere. Anyone know any resources for lunch?
      Will your company/group sponsor our lunch?
      What to bring: 3 EMPTY GALLON PLASTIC JUGS, 2 4" PAINTBRUSHES,
      scrapers, any painting stuff you have, sunscreen, a hat, beverages (no
      beer), your toolbox, broom, hearts, rags, hammers, circular saw,
      LADDERS, yard tools and lots of elbow grease. I am your captain this
      year, please call me to sign up and ask any other questions.
      Directions: Take I-35 south to I-30 east to I-45 south, or Central
      Expy. south through downtown Dallas to I-45 south. After about 3
      miles exit Illinois Ave and go west (right). Go left at the third
      street, Fordham Rd., after about 5 blocks go left on Tacoma, then
      right on Exeter. The house will be on the left in the first block

      This is always a fun and worthwhile community service we do, and the
      smiles and appreciation of the homeowners are the best. See you
      there! CALL ME TO SIGN UP!
      Gary Zimny
      Solomon Islands, 1977-80
      214.357.8337 home; 214-649-3637 cell; zimzim9@...