Hearts and Hammers is Sept.20-Here's info and Sign Up!

  • Gary Zimny
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2008
      Grab your paintbrushes, scrapers, ladders and a bundle of energy and get ready for HEARTS AND HAMMERS 2008!  We will once again celebrate our commitment to sharing our skills with others and making the world a better place on our workday, Saturday September 20, 2008, 7:30am.
      Hearts and Hammers is an all volunteer organization founded by Dallas RPCV Bob Walker in 1984 to assist elderly and disabled Dallas homeowners.  Throughout the year the H&H Planning Council works with the City of Dallas to identify homeowners who need assistance to keep their homes’ exteriors within city code.  H&H gathers materials, volunteer teams and resources, each team chooses a house and does the needed-and much appreciated work-once a year on workday.
      This year we are in South Dallas .  Our N. Texas Peace Corps Association house is located at 2722 Exeter., Dallas 75216 .  Our homeowner Rosie Williams, 82, and her daughter lives with her.  Mrs. Williams has lived in the house for over 40 years, and is very appreciative for our volunteer assistance. We need 20-25 RPCVs and friends to do this work.
      The work the house needs is straightforward and much needed-scrape, paint, replace rotted wood, build a handrail, etc.  We will need a full crew of 20-25 folks, and if you feel you don’t have any technical skills please come because you will learn on the job and have a fulfilling time.
      I’m continuing to seek free lunch for us all-but if not we’ll buy it in the neighborhood somewhere.  Anyone know any resources for lunch?  Will your company/group sponsor our lunch?
      What to bring:  3 EMPTY GALLON PLASTIC JUGS, 2  4” PAINTBRUSHES, scrapers, any painting stuff you have, sunscreen, a hat, beverages (no beer), your toolbox, broom, hearts, rags, hammers, circular saw, LADDERS, yard tools and lots of elbow grease.  I am your captain this year, please call me to sign up and ask any other questions.
      Directions:  Take I-35 south to I-30 east to I-45 south, or Central Expy. south through downtown Dallas to I-45 south.  After about 3 miles exit Illinois Ave and go west (right). Go left at the third street, Fordham Rd. , after about 5 blocks go left on Tacoma, then right on Exeter.  The house will be on the left in the first block
      This is always a fun and worthwhile community service we do, and the smiles and appreciation of the homeowners are the best.  See you there!  CALL ME TO SIGN UP!
      Gary Zimny
      Solomon Islands , 1977-80
      214.357.8337 home; 214-649-3637 cell; zimzim9@...