Rio Bravo, Mexico volunteer trip at Thanksgiving

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25 5:47 PM
      (This is the charity started by the Austin RPCVs after Hurricane Gilbert. Rio Bravo is about 25 miles from McAllen. It is like being back in the Peace Corps for four days.  Open to non-RPCVs as well; in fact,  non-PCVs  are now the majority.  There is also an annual spring break trip.  Ed)

      We're starting to plan the next service trip to Rio Bravo, Mexico. Hope you can join us! Departing Thanksgiving morning Nov 22, returning late afternoon Sunday Nov 25. Mark your calendars.

      Our pre-trip meeting will be Sunday afternoon, November 4 to brief folks on what's happening currently with the program in RB, and match folks up with jobs, rides, and roommates.

      If you're even thinking about going, shoot a reply to this email so we can keep you in the loop.
      Let us know when was the last time you went to RB (if applicable) if you think you'll need a ride or be able to take riders (besides yourself)- shared gas costs if you plan to bring a friend/relative/ other person/people how in/definite you are about coming. Also if you have special skills (Spanish, carpentry, computer, teacher, scientist etc) or interests. Or needs.

      Work:

      This time (for those interested in hob-knobbing a bit) we'll be pairing some volunteers or pairs of volunteers up with translators (local English Teachers) to do science demonstrations or to take kids on some field trips. We'll also need some creative folks to occupy some children with games so they stay out of the hair of those doing construction. Construction this time will be installing vent fans and sheetrocking at the Community Center (Casa de Katie), and some repairs. For the techies, we'll also be repairing some sick computers.

      Costs:

      Participation fee ($45 this time) will include a t-shirt, dinner in a restaurant Saturday, and ensure food at lunchtime Fri and Sat. It also includes a donation to the project to cover materials. Plan on sharing costs of about 55 gallons of gas- total for down and back at 20 mpg. Sharing $40 hotel room cost. Buying - lunch in US on way down and way back. -Dinner on Thursday in Mexico (might be provided via local community potluck) -Breakfast each day.

      Bring either a Drivers License or Passport for ID returning to US. You do NOT need a passport yet to go by car.

      Questions? Email juliaforee@... or robforee@...