Hearts & Hammers, 9/22/2007, 12:00 am

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2007

      Title: Hearts & Hammers

      Date: Saturday September 22, 2007
      Time: All Day
      Location: 3167 E. Ledbetter Dr., Dallas
      Notes: Hearts and Hammers works with the City of Dallas to identify homeowners who need assistance to keep their homes’ exteriors within city code. H&H gathers materials, volunteer teams and resources, each team chooses a house and does the needed-and much appreciated work-once a year on workday.
      This year we are in South Dallas. Our N. Texas Peace Corps Association house is located at 3167 E. Ledbetter Dr., Dallas 75216. Our homeowner is Hattie Lee Moore, 82, and her 60 year old son Willie lives with her. Mrs. Moore and Wille have lived in the house for over 20 years, and are very appreciative for our volunteer assistance.

      The work the house needs is straightforward and much needed-scrape, paint, replace rotted wood, build a handrail, etc. We will need a full crew of 20-25 folks, and if you feel you don’t have any technical skills please come because you will learn on the job and have a fulfilling time.
      What to bring: 3 EMPTY GALLON PLASTIC JUGS, 2 4” PAINTBRUSHES, scrapers, any painting stuff you have, sunscreen, a hat, beverages (no beer), your toolbox, broom, hearts, rags, hammers, circular saw, LADDERS, yard tools and lots of elbow grease. I am your captain this year, please call me to sign up and ask any other questions.

      Directions: Take I-35 south to I-30 east to I-45 south, or Central Expy. south through downtown Dallas to I-45 south. After about 3 miles exit Loop 12/Ledbetter and go west (right). Go right at the third street, Haas Dr., then left on E. Ledbetter. The house will be on the right in the first block
      Gary Zimny
      Solomon Islands, 1977-80
      214.357.8337 home; 214-649-3637 cell; zimzim9@...