Hearts & Hammers 2007

  • chapinr75081
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2007
      Hearts & Hammers 2007
      Saturday, September 22, 2007

      Hearts and Hammers works with the City of Dallas to identify
      homeowners who need assistance to keep their homes' exteriors within
      city code. H&H gathers materials, volunteer teams and resources, each
      team chooses a house and does the needed-and much appreciated
      work-once a year on workday.

      This year we are in South Dallas. Our N. Texas Peace Corps
      Association house is located at 3167 E. Ledbetter Dr., Dallas 75216.
      Our homeowner is Hattie Lee Moore, 82, and her 60 year old son Willie
      lives with her. Mrs. Moore and Wille have lived in the house for over
      20 years, and are very appreciative for our volunteer assistance.

      The work the house needs is straightforward and much needed-scrape,
      paint, replace rotted wood, build a handrail, etc. We will need a
      full crew of 20-25 folks, and if you feel you don't have any technical
      skills please come because you will learn on the job and have a
      fulfilling time.

      What to bring: 3 EMPTY GALLON PLASTIC JUGS, 2 4" PAINTBRUSHES,
      scrapers, any painting stuff you have, sunscreen, a hat, beverages (no
      beer), your toolbox, broom, hearts, rags, hammers, circular saw,
      LADDERS, yard tools and lots of elbow grease. I am your captain this
      year, please call me to sign up and ask any other questions.

      Directions: Take I-35 south to I-30 east to I-45 south, or Central
      Expy. south through downtown Dallas to I-45 south. After about 3
      miles exit Loop 12/Ledbetter and go west (right). Go right at the
      third street, Haas Dr., then left on E. Ledbetter. The house will be
      on the right in the first block
      Gary Zimny
      Solomon Islands, 1977-80
      214.357.8337 home; 214-649-3637 cell; zimzim9@...