Fw: Opportunity to Host a Fulbright Scholar from Iraq

  • (no author)
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 10, 2007

      This from my friend in PC Morocco. I tried to send it to the
      whole group but I'm not sure it worked. It sounds like a hoot and
      someone here might be able to host Haider. Good luck to all,

      Becky Toomay

      Hi ya gang!

      Hope you are all well. So i have this friend. his name is
      haider. he's a fulbright student from iraq studying at the
      New School and has also been a journalist for ABC (he's a
      producer on GMA, was embedded with troops in Iraq, covered the
      war in Afghanistan, roomed with Peter Jennings, yes, I could go
      on.... and guess what, he's only 22!). He is taking the summer
      to SEE america and meet americans and is looking for places to
      crash. I am pasting some information from him below, but
      PLEASE let me know if you have a floor, couch, or inflatable to
      crash on. Or maybe you know someone else who does....

      I hope you're all fantastic. (feel free to forward on to
      friends in other places who may be able to help) Erin Olson

      Good day everyone,

      Im a Fulbright grantee from Iraq, studying in Manhattan, NYC.
      In few days i will start driving across the US with my roomate
      to talk to Americans around the country about the war in Iraq
      and discuss different political views regarding US foreign
      policy.

      I will be setting a booth in every state (a mobile booth that
      im driving

      with) with a sign that says 'Come Talk to an Iraqi'. I will be
      showing images, playing Iraqi music and answer question about
      culture, history and religion in Iraq.

      The trip will be filmed and broadcasted as a reality show/
      documentary on

      national radio and television. It will be aired on NPR and on
      Showtime by the program 'This American Life'.

      If any of you have any ideas or suggestions regarding people
      to meet, places to visit, or even recommendations about what
      should be addressed then please feel free to write me back.

      Below is a list of the places i will be driving across. If any
      of you can put us up for a night or so or know of someone who
      would then ill highly

      appreciate that. Otherwise if you can recommend hotels/motels
      of reasonable prices then that would be appreciated as well.

      STATES I WILL BE VISITING IN THE FIRST PART OF THE TRIP

      Maryland, DC, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina,
      Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, Texas, San Francisco, LA,
      Arizona, Los Vegas, Grand Canyon

      I will then cut from the middle back east to NY. Still didnt
      decide on that part yet. Im now looking mostly to places to
      stay in DC, Virginia, South

      Carolina (Savannah and Jackson Ville) and also San Francisco,
      LA, Los Vegas and Grand Canyon. I would highly appreciate any
      offers/suggestions and also willing to pay a contribution.

      Again, if you have any thoughts or ideas then please email me
      back directly on the address
      haidoori_h@...

      I look forward to hearing from you.

      Haider (Hod)

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 16, 2007

        Title: SUMMER POOL PARTY

        Date: Saturday June 23, 2007
        Time: 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
        Next reminder: The next reminder for this event will be sent in 5 days, 1 minute.
        Location: 7044 Royal Lane, Dallas TX
        Notes: Our summer pool party has been revived and is being hosted by Tim Chaney at his home in N. Dallas on Saturday june 23 at 6 pm. The pool is full, water volleyball is waiting for players, the paddle boat is ready in the pond, and bring a pole and you can fish too! The grill will be fired up, so bring some meat or vegetables to burn, and a side dish, and share as you want. BYOB, soft drinks and icy coolers will be provided. Children are welcome! So are jarts, croquet, and frisbees.
        NOTE: parking is limited, so please park across Royal Lane on St. Judes Dr.
        The address is 7044 Royal Lane, Dallas TX 75230, and Tim's phone number is 214-502-9426.

        Come one, come all, for a wet and fun evening!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 21, 2007

          Title: SUMMER POOL PARTY