Fw: RPCV Hospitality Network Directory Available -

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2007
      from  RPCV Shelagh Bocoum (shelaghbocoum@...)  Regarding the RPCV Hospitality Network Directory Available

      We all remember traveling to different towns, villages and cities when we were PCVs. In each place we most often stayed with other volunteers. That sharing helped instill the “connection” to which we repeatedly refer. When the enthusiastic response is “I like these people” you know that something good is happening.

      We'd like to let you know about the National Peace Corps Association's Hospitality Network Directory.  Will you be traveling somewhere and need a place to stay for a few days?  Would you like to host fellow RPCVs who are visiting your city?

      The directory is arranged by state, and each listing includes the host’s location, email address and/or phone number, country of service and details on the type of space available. Many listings mention the local tourism attractions or include information such as “Amharic speakers especially welcome...plan arrival to accommodate ferry schedule...separate guest house...please help with dishes...the door is open!” Travelers call or email individuals in the directory and all arrangements are made between the two parties. Participation is based on mutual trust, respect and goodwill.

      In addition to listings for close to 400 hosts across the US (and 15 internationally), the directory contains some interesting “factoids:”
      • 64% of hosts say “Kids are okay!”
      • 21% have wheelchair access
      • 94% request only $0-$5 per person per day (reimbursement for breakfast, showers, laundry)
      • 3% of visitors stay for 1 day
      • 38% stay for 2 days
      • 59% stay for more than 2 days
      HOW IT WORKS:
      RPCVs call individuals listed in the directory and all arrangements are made between the two parties ... simple! It's OK to say no!, ... as in "space not available." Directory is a guide only, all information and arrangements must be verified directly! (Addresses are not listed, only contact phone numbers and emails).

      To purchase a directory, or to be listed in the updated directory which will be published early in April, visit http://www.rpcv.org/pages/sitepage.cfm?id=17