DMN -- More on the passing of Dick Sartain

    Message 1 of 1 , May 21, 2006

      Officials name man killed on White Rock trail

      07:52 PM CDT on Saturday, May 20, 2006

      From Staff Reports

      Dameon Runnels / DMN

      The Dallas County Medical Examiner's office has named the pedestrian killed at White Rock Lake by a suspected drunk driver as Richard Sartain.

      The 63-year-old was struck while walking along a jogging path on the northeast side of the lake on Friday evening.

      Bicyclist Larry Duplar tried to help Sartain. "It didn't seem like there was anything I could do," he said. "I tried to get his airway cleared, but it seemed like he was in pretty bad shape."

      The man was dead when police arrived.

      The woman driver, age 60, continued traveling north, left the roadway and hit several wooden posts along the road before careening into the southbound lanes and hitting more posts on the opposite side of the road.

      The woman, whose name was not available, eventually lost control of the car, causing it to flip and land upside down. Her car nearly ended up in White Rock Lake.

      She suffered cuts to the head, face and arms and was taken to Baylor University Medical Center, where she was in stable condition.

      "We are going to be charging her with intoxication manslaughter," said Dallas police spokesman Rick Watson. "We know that that is a contributing factor."

      Police said the woman's blood alcohol level was tested at the hospital and was substantially over the legal limit of 0.08. She also faces possible charges of failing to stop and render aid.

      Witnesses said the victim was a regular on the trail, always trying to take extra time to exercise.

      "From what I understand, he's been out here quite a bit; minding his own business, listening to his iPod," Duplar said. "He had his book and his knapsack, just enjoying the day."

      The 11-mile trail around White Rock Lake is one of the city's most popular and scenic attractions for walkers, joggers and cyclists. But Duplar said he is frustrated that rules are not being enforced.

      "There's always a problem of people drinking, people not obeying the law," he said.

      WFAA-TV reporter Dan Ronan and Dallas Morning News writer Jon Nielsen contributed to this report.