Annual Thanksgiving Work Project Trip to Rio Bravo, Mexico

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 23, 2005
      Jaime from the Hill Country RPCVs sent this message below.  The Austin RPCVs started "Amigos de las Escuelas" in response to Hurricane Gilbert in 1988.  They have continued to return to that same bordertown ever since at Thanksgiving and during Spring Break.  It is a virtual Peace Corps-type experience -- but only a few days long.  The project is now an incorporated IRS 501(c) charity.  (Nowadays, more non-Returned Peace Corps Volunteers are involved than RPCVs.)  A fantastic way to spend Thanksgiving besides stuffing yourself and watching the Cowboys on the boob tube.  Ed Hromatka
      Hi Everyone!

      I hope this is the message that many of you have been waiting to read! In exactly 5 weeks we will be leaving Austin on our annual Thanksgiving trip to Rio Bravo Mexico. We have a great list of projects to complete this year, and I hope all of you can join us for 4 great days. We will be working to organize the trip this year, but we will need your help. In the next week, look out for the official sign-up. In the mean time, save the date!

      Look out for details... coming soon!

      Sunday, November 13, 6:00pm
      Join us for a FUN orientation and organizational meeting (optional but strongly encouraged): DETAILS TO FOLLOW
      Thursday, November 24, morning
      Leave Austin. At the orientation you will receive information about rides / caravan.

      Friday and Saturday, November 25-26
      Work on-site in Rio Bravo on Friday and Saturday.

      Sunday, November 27
      Leave Rio Bravo

      Please go to our website, www.my-amigos.org and see the specific information about how we do things, as well as pictures of the volunteers and of Rio Bravo.

      The participation cost for this trip is $40 per person. This includes your on-site lunches on Friday and Saturday, dinner at OK Pancho's on Saturday night, a donation for the community, and commemorative Amigos t-shirt. This does NOT include your hotel (which ranges from $8 - $20 per person per night depending upon which hotel you stay at and how many people share the room), transportation (or gas) down to Rio Bravo, breakfasts, or food on the two travel days.

      * We always need people who will drive, and who can take one or two or three passengers. The drive is not hard, it takes about 6 hours, and is 325 miles from Austin to the hotel in Rio Bravo. Please consider being a driver. Your passengers will share your gas costs. The parking at the hotel is guarded and fenced . The parking at the worksites is usually right where you will be working. There is more information about driving on the website.

      * This is the first time that I (Andy) will be leading the projects. This will be a ton of fun but I will need your help. Next week I will email a list with the current projects and ask for project leaders. Hope to see you at the orientation and in Rio Bravo.

      As always, please do not hesitate to call or email us with any questions or concerns.
      Hasta pronto!

      Jamie Lee 228-3948 jamie@...