Needed: RPCVs as paid FEMA "disaster reservists."

  • Ed Hromatka
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 6, 2005
      Dear Peace Corps community:

      Over the past week all of us have been touched by the devastating images and stories coming from the areas affected by Hurricane Katrina.  At NPCA we have been following developments closely and have received messages from the Peace Corps family with information on how we as a community can respond.

      Peace Corps has asked us to let you know that they are mobilizing the Crisis Corps, and they ask that RPCVs update their information.  Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) disaster manager Karen Keefer (Nigeria 66-68) has asked me to put out the call to the Peace Corps community that FEMA is looking for returned Peace Corps volunteers interested in deploying to the South as paid FEMA "disaster reservists."

      Information on these and other ways you can help can be found on our Web site, where we've created a page with hurricane relief information.

      We will be continually updating this page as more information becomes available, so be sure to visit it often.  The page is linked directly from our home page at
      http://www.rpcv.org, or via the following links:

      Hurricane response page:
      http://www.rpcv.org/pages/sitepage.cfm?id=1242

      Bulletin board, where you can post messages and share information with the wider Peace Corps community: http://www.rpcv.org/pages/msghome.cfm?category=13

      Thank you for your concern and for your efforts to assist those affected by this tragic event.

      Kevin F. F. Quigley
      President
      NPCA