RE: [N Tx Peace Corps] Re: Fw: Dallas Morning News - 8.22.05 -- Texans help revive an Aceh tradition

  • Brynne Sissom
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2005
      All,

      I sent a message to Ed already that I have been in
      touch with Aaron already to see what they were up to.
      If we were to sponsor a boat, the general cost is
      $3000. I figure if we got several groups united,we
      could "buy" a boat through these guys.

      Christen it some name in Indonesion that expresses
      brotherhood of our nations or some such.

      I'll forward your email to him with this same message.
      See his email above. Their web site is
      http://www.austin-international-rescue.org
      Brynne

      http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/082205dninttsunami.815
> [...]
      > > enterprise for Acehnese, most of whom are
      > fishermen.
      > >

      > > The tsunami destroyed hundreds of fishing vessels,
      > > leaving many workers unemployed and dependent on
      > > government handouts.
      > >
      > > Six months ago, AIRO did not even exist. Mr. Bloom
      > > and the Lymans were just three Austinites who
      > showed
      > > up with no plan other than to help.
      > >
      > > They were an unlikely trio. Aaron Lyman, 46,
      > AIRO's
      > > president, has held several high-tech management
      > > jobs, most recently vice president for worldwide
      > > sales with SigmaTel, a leading Austin-based
      > computer
      > > chip supplier. He was involved in charity work in
      > > Indonesia from 1978 to 1980. His brother, Eric,
      > 45,
      > > is a world-record bungee jumper and "extreme
      > > adventurer" who has traveled extensively in South
      > > America and has 20 years of experience in the
      > > construction industry. Mr. Bloom, 50, is a former
      > > deputy commissioner with the Texas Rehabilitation
      > > Commission who served with the Peace Corps in
      > > Afghanistan.
      > >

      > > Modest motto
      > >
      > > "Our message, since Day One of this great
      > adventure,
      > > has been consistent: We simply hope people will
      > help
      > > each other in whatever way they can, and have fun
      > > doing it," Aaron Lyman said from Austin. "Within
      > > families, across the street or across the world,
      > we
      > > can all make a difference to help ease suffering
      > and
      > > sadness."
      > >
      > > The men could have donated money but instead
      > decided
      > > to fly to Indonesia for direct involvement.
      > >
      > > "We didn't know what we were going to do when we
      > > came here, whether we'd be pulling out dead bodies
      > > from rubble," Mr. Bloom said. "I started doing
      > > research and found this area was the center of
      > > fishing, that many people had lost their
      > > livelihoods."
      > >
      > > So that was the direction in which the men went.
      > > Shortly after arriving, they incorporated as AIRO,
      > > nonprofit agency, because, "We needed to be
      > > somebody," Mr. Bloom said. "We were not going to
      > get
      > > anywhere telling people we are three guys from
      > > Austin."
      > >
      > > The lean operation soon began to be noticed
      > because,
      > > in a gargantuan relief process tangled up in red
      > > tape and politics, it was getting things done
      > fast.
      > >
      > > "Because of our efficiency, our use of local
      > > craftsmen and materials and sensitivity to local
      > > cultures, we are getting outside funding for
      > almost
      > > 200 boats in-process now, with hundreds more still
      > > in need," Aaron Lyman said.
      > >
      > > Now, from a rented, three-story building, AIRO is
      > > helping whole villages and towns get back to the

      === message truncated ===

      http://mail.yahoo.com